No announcement yet.

Influencing the grandkids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two and a half, almost 3 year old wants to swing and swing.
    CAn swing and swing till I get nauseated watching while pushing, I have to turn my head and not watch.
    Noticed this.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Our newest edition to the family and the reason for the recent trip to Nellis AFB in Las Vegas.

A few hours from Nellis just outside of China Lake Naval Base in Ridgecrest, CA are four more of our grandkids.

"Papa Roger, can we sit on your motorcycle?"

I'm so glad they hopped up on the bike. She stepped on the rear brake and I noticed the pedal did not return, but stayed down. That's not good, I thought. Turns out the pedal has been sticking for who knows how long. Maybe the recent ride through bad weather was to blame. Easy fix, just disassemble and lube the pivot point. I may not have noticed and ruined the rotor on the way home.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Congratulations Roger
        sigpic
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
          Our newest edition to the family and the reason for the recent trip to Nellis AFB in Las Vegas.

"Papa Roger, can we sit on your motorcycle?"

Ha ! Good !

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Please Don't Eat the Daisies...

I was reminded of this title of a book and movie from the 60's when I realized that the crazy one was scarfin daisies while we relaxed out in the fields during a ride out on the windmill roads. We borrowed my punk kids atv (side by side?). I immediately googled it and found out they are edible. He ate quite a few.

Doesn't really take much to make them happy. Just a field full of flowers. There was a hidden pricker bush that caused some consternation but they got over it after I untangled them. Always somethin...

2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
            82 gs1100L probably the next project
            1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
            1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Long walk the other day. I did have to carry the little, crazy one a bit cuz the grass is higher than him.

There was a lot of berry picking. Everyone had a level to pick from.

Here's a perfectly normal picture of a semi-cute kid right?

But zoom in and it starts to look like some children of the corn stuff....

2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
              82 gs1100L probably the next project
              1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
              1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

I am raising two granddaughters, one 10 one 16. The 16 year old is asking to ride my 82 1100E, after that I keep the keys in one of my safes unless I am riding. That is a tough bike to learn on. I told her I was going to start her off on the old Honda CL100. They grow fast and there is never a dull moment.
                1981 GS1100E
                1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by metalfab View Post
                  I am raising two granddaughters, one 10 one 16. The 16 year old is asking to ride my 82 1100E, after that I keep the keys in one of my safes unless I am riding. That is a tough bike to learn on. I told her I was going to start her off on the old Honda CL100. They grow fast and there is never a dull moment.
                  Would be interested in an update to this.

Comment

Last week we (wife and I) had good time with each of the four grandkids. Most of a day or part of day with each one.

Comment

Sooooo Biiieggg

Comment

New game for 10 month old grandkid

Hold him and say "wanna be a flying baby?"
                        He gets excited and starts jumping up and down.
                        So lift him up overhead and twist him around and exclaim "Flying Baby!" and he gets excited and squeels and laughs.
                        Then say "Oh Oh, crash landing" and lower him quickly to my shoulder "Oh Oh crash" and then lean over to side
                        CrashLandingFlyingBaby by Dave Redman, on Flickr
                        He laughs and laughs some more.

Repeat

About 5 or 6 times, and I need to take a break.
                        Afterall the kid is 20 pounds... scheesch.... yah, I do need more exercize.

Comment

You are a lucky man, Dave...
                          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                            You are a lucky man, Dave...
                            Have been thankful for that.

Both my brothers not likely to have grandkids.
                            Grandkid pictured above doesnt have other grandpa.

ANd... that both set of grandkids are fairly close to here.

THis week we were at one house two days, and other house a day, and then had both set of kids here a day.
                            So I didnt get much done here at home . . . but that is okay.

Note: WHen daughter mentioned possibly moving back to Michigan from California, we said "keep in mind: free baby sitting within 30 miles...." (quickly amended to ".. one day a week...") ( and we accepted 34 miles ) (and lately have been there two days a week)

Last edited by Redman; 10-10-2021, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Back to the more specific intent of this thread . . . .

Had all four grandkids here for 8 hours.

Early in day I asked if they wanted to see "pistons of an engine go up and down in the cylinders....", but then we got interrupted. Later the ten year old ask about "seeing pistons go up and down".

So we went out in garage.

The three year old lost interest real quick and wandered off (found a pan of drain oil to occupy her interest, she was concerned the "dog might drink it and die").

The other two took turns using the wrench to turn the crank so the other could watch the pistons go up and down.

THe six year old wandered off after a little bit.

THe ten year old asked:
                              Why do you have to hold that chain?
                              How does this make the bike go down the road?
                              What makes this turn that we are turning?
                              What is that chain for?

So we talked a little bit about the transmission and driveshaft.
                              I showed him the head and the cams and the carburetors.

Comment

For those that know Charmayne and would like to know how she is doing, I'm very happy to report that Rosalinde (pronounced Rosalinda but with the German spelling) "Rose" Faith Firm was born on 1 Oct 2021 at 1:05pm weighing 6 pounds 10 ounces and 20-3/4 inches long. Mom and baby are doing well (already gained 3 ounces in a week) and I have been able to see her a couple of times already (mom has gone out more). Visited with her for a little bit today but more time was spent sleeping than what I could be there for so only have this picture from last weekend.

Rosalinde and Grandpa by Scott Baker, on Flickr

I'll get some better pictures over time.
                                sigpic
                                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X