No announcement yet.

Influencing the grandkids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planned to take the 8 year old to an antique tractor show. We had a great time at same show 4 years ago, when he was 4.
    It seemed that each year since then was other things going on that weekend.
    But this year it worked out,
    and the plan was for me to take him ... and now the 4 year old sibling .... and the grandma too ( but that is an entire other story.) (guess who demanded we leave first)s

Was interesting to show the kids that this corn sheller was commonly used, and had them figure out what would happen if they got their fingers too far down in there.

1 min 30 sec video of kids watching some equipment running

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thanks Redman. Your inputs are great in this thread.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

An other example of the difference between having kids and having grandkids:

35 years ago I would not have stood there watching this, laughing, and supporting the kid having fun.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

redman your a fab grand pepere
          the years spanning the first traction engine fest to the latest only enhanced the kids memories
          yer an ace me old trout
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I could hope to be half as good of a grandpa as Redman.

We had fun in the garage for a bit. Here's my 7 month old grandson (and daddy close by) getting a feel of the GS's Corbin seat.

He's just about crawling and can stand with a little support. Sure did have fun crawling across the tank to the gauges. Baby drool is surprisingly good for cleaning plastic parts.

Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Ya know I don't remember my kids slobbering as much as my grandkids do... I mean they must have right? Did I just forget that little detail?

I dunno. Anyway the newest kid is 4 mo. and a mini slobber factory.
              2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
              82 gs1100L probably the next project
              1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
              1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
                Ya know I don't remember my kids slobbering as much as my grandkids do... I mean they must have right? Did I just forget that little detail?

I dunno. Anyway the newest kid is 4 mo. and a mini slobber factory.
                Right? I was thinking the same. We kept a cloth handy for the burp up bubbles and such with my kids, but with this little guy you almost need rain gear.

Another new thing to me is "tummy time". This little guy is passed that since he can sit up on his own though. I just dont remember having a designated tummy time every so often.
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                  ......................... Here's my 7 month old grandson ...... getting a feel of the GS's............
                  Great pics.
                  Looks like you are having as good of a time as the kid is. Sounds like being a good grandpa.
                  The picture of you and the kid will be what I think of when i see your user name.

Comment

Another thing that is somewhat common with kids these days: teaching babys-toddlers signs.
                    Here is her version of "more"; tap fingers to palm repeatedly.

And she has another sign for "all done, no more".
                    For Both signs she doesn't do it exactly like they tried to teach her, but we know what she means.
                    Last edited by Redman; 09-02-2019, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Grandbaby is about 40 miles away now (instead of 2040 miles).
                      Rode over there the other day.

Grandbaby is 15 months old now, so time for another session.

Here, Baby, Here is your Dad's new bike,

look at that, an FJR, Yah, a sport tourer, no ape hanger bars, no loud exhaust, 4 cylinder inline, nice and smooth for long distance riding. Maybe that BMW RT in his garage for 5 years had some effect.

Here, Baby, Here is your Mimi's bike.

Yes, it is a v-twin, but the crankshaft has two crank throws so the pistons are 180 degress apart, so the exhaust tone is evenly spaced, and has counterballancer shaft to smooth out the balance. And is water cooled to help out the rear cylinder.
                      Also, look, the sidestand is spring loaded so when lean bike over it touches down without much weight on it. Have to lean bike over further against the spring before the sidestand locks into place, before that, the little rubber feeler will retract the sidestand if rubs on pavement. For some reason, I just noticed that myself in recent weeks after riding it for 14 years.
                      Last edited by Redman; 09-14-2019, 02:09 AM.

Comment

My 10 yr old Grandson feeling giddy about finding 3rd gear on his first bike, a $400 Suzuki jr80 I restored for him. He says to me after some riding "Grampa I think I should have a motocross name" I ask "what do you want to call yourself?" He replies "Slip Slide Rock".... "Ok kiddo....SSR it is"
                        Attached Files
                        -1981 Suzuki GS1100E
                        -1975 Honda CB400 Super Sport
                        -1981 Vespa P200E
                        -1990 Ktm 540 dxc
                        -1982 Ktm 495
                        -1981 Ktm 495
                        -1989 Atk 406
                        -1987 Cr 500R
                        -1982 Yz 125

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                          Another thing that is somewhat common with kids these days: teaching babys-toddlers signs...............................
                          That's a really great thing, Dave. I saw a lady the other day at Costco using face time on her phone, signing to her husband. Thought she looked familiar and she did. I know her husband but always had a barrier talking with him. He had a cochlear implant but still had to read lips and sign. Without the cochlear, he couldn't hear a thunder clap.

Anyway, keep up the good grandpa-ing.

Here, Baby, Here is your Dad's new bike

look at that, an FJR, Yah, a sport tourer, no ape hanger bars, no loud exhaust, 4 cylinder inline, nice and smooth for long distance riding. Maybe that BMW RT in his garage for 5 years had some effect.............................
                          Wait, what? What a surprise! Did you have that bike on your mind for a while? Congratulations, bud. Did you have room in the garage, or maybe the beemer is gone now? Surely you didn't re-home the GK.

Since I rode with Andy, another local member, and his friend on his FJR I'd been warming up to those bikes. My neighbor picked one up as well, but just flipped it before I could ride it. Andy's buddy offered me to ride his, but I had just met him and was nervous.

Maybe another thread or email would be better, but how do you like it? Has the Mrs. ridden with you?
                          Roger

Current rides
                          1983 GS 850G
                          2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                            Wait, what? What a surprise! .........
                            THe baby's dads new bike. Not mine.
                            Yah, he sold the SuperCustomSomethingorother Dyna H-D and got an FJR. Picture is at daughter-SIL house.

I still have the GK and the RT and the VT500Shadow.

Comment

THe baby's dads new bike. Not mine.
                              Yah, he sold the SuperCustomSomethingorother Dyna H-D and got an FJR. Picture is at daughter-SIL house.

I still have the GK and the RT and the VT500Shadow.
                              Oh, of course. If I'd read you post a bit more carefully, I would've gathered that. Just got excited for you.
                              Cheers, Dave.
                              Roger

Current rides
                              1983 GS 850G
                              2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

look what this kid did to my watch with his incredible slobbering. i had to put it in the oven overnight. oy.

he's still sorta cute and smiley though. and a bit of a beast.

2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                                82 gs1100L probably the next project
                                1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                                1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Working...
                                X