Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gs750 Points Plate. is it all there? with photos.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs750 Points Plate. is it all there? with photos.

Gday.1.jpg
    im not very good with electrics but im trying to learn. i just picked up this beauty of a 78 gs750e for 250aud$ off a guy whos had it sitting in his shed for 12 years. mechanically it seems ok, but electrics have been modified unsucessfully: someone has tried and failed to wire in a electronic ignition box and given up half way and the bike wont turn over. i thought i should revert back to original wiring and points and to do that i need to buy a new points plate i think. there are a couple on ebay.
    my question is, before i buy one, am i missing any part of my points system? I ask, because from the looks of the ones on ebay (see photo) they have little black plastic bumpers on them. i have 2 other gs's, an 850 and 1000, and on their central spinning shafts, there is one or two lobes, that rotate round and hit the plastic bumpers, thus opening the gaps in the points i assume.
    on my 750, there is no bumps on the shaft, and looking at the points plates on ebay, the bumpers need something to be bumped by to open the point as the shaft turns. im worried that if i buy one and stick it in, nothings going to happen, the shaft will just spin freely as it does now. on the removable disc, there is a gap cut out, which spins and i assume the electric system (was meant to) detect the gap and sends the signal.
    so, am i missing the plastic bumper hitting piece? or is there something im not grasping here? or am i missing another part of my original points system that may have been thrown out when the original owner tried to convert to electric?
    i have included photos of, the bike, and me removing all the parts of the points system and showing them all to the camera.

or would it be easier to buy an aftermarket electric ignition kit and finish the previous owners job?

any help would be awesome!

2.jpgphoto 1

Comment

photo 3...............
      Attached Files

Comment

pic 4...................
        Attached Files

Comment

the mechanism under the plate removed.
          Attached Files

Comment

this is a new (old) points plate off ebay. notice how the black bumpers need something rotating on the shaft to hit them and close and open them? well my shaft doesnt have anything..except for the metal disc that slides on, with a section cut out of it. im thinking this disc was for the electronic system, not the original. is that right?
            Attached Files

Comment

Yep, you are correct. Personally, I would try to get the electronic version going and do away with the points. Trying to put points back in is a step backward.

When you say "the bike won't turn over", do you mean that it won't crank or that it will crank, but not fire? Big difference in troubleshooting steps.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That electronic system looks like a newtronics system. There will be a black box connected to the wires about the size of a cigarette pack. Looks like 1 of the optical units is broken. The ebay points system you show is missing the advancer unit. Looking at your first post the ignition box is hanging next to left footpeg.
                Last edited by uk gs nut; 11-02-2016, 03:53 PM.
                My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

the kick lever will move all the cylinders and air hisses and sucks but no ignition, plugs are very old and the electronic system is not fully wired. thanks for the help!

Comment

we'll spotted yes it does say newtronics on the box. so does my points system have an advancer unit? or is it missing? yeah I was thinking of gettin a dyna s igni system, know I'd they are any good? it would just be about 150$ less to get the old points system in, but I guess it would perform better. thanks for your help!

Comment

what parts would I need to convert back to points ignition because it will probably be cheaper I'm thinking

Comment

You would need the full points plate and the matching advance unit. There were 2 types, Nippon denso for larger bikes and kokosan denki for 550 etc. Have a look at the advanced you have and look for ND stamped on it, if you get a Dyna S get a one for ND ignition. It is very easy to connect only 3 wires, black -white to coils and red ignition live.
                        My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

thanks gs nut. i think my advance unit must be missing the single lobed metal sleeve that slips over the shaft and knocks the points bumpers as it rotates. that part i mean is obvious in this picture off google. i cant seem to find any advance units on ebay with this part included. ive figured my solenoid is faulty so ive ordered a new one, the starter turn over fine so im thinking 200$ for a dyna system is ok if it gets me some sparks to work with@ thanks aaaa.jpg

Comment

That advancer is not for points ignition, its the factory fitted electronic ignition for later bikes. If you are getting a dyna system you will need to get the correct type, ND or Kd. If you have a good look at your advancer it should have ND stamped in a circle on it. The dyna magnet part replaces the points cam part. I will find pictures and post them here.

Comment

Ok here we go, this is a ND advance unit with points cam fitted.

Comment

Working...
                              X