leaking shaft boot gs1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
    OH...and when setting the swing arm set the pivots in but dont tighten them down...just snug them. When its all assembled and the back tire is on, youre gonna spin the back tire and listen for any rubbing from the drive shaft or the U joint inside the tube. Youll need to adjust using the pivots till nothings rubbing and each side of the tire is very close to the same distance to the inner rim of the swing arm...follow me???

Basically ensuring nothing rubbing inside the tube. The swing arm wont move much but it has some side to side play that needs to be set so things hitting.
    Chuck!!!! You just cured a question I've had since I installed the 1100G engine in my 1000G. Ever since then, I've had the driveshaft, every so slightly, touching something inside the swing arm when rotating. It's all but gone now with no noticeable effects but I always wondered why it was doing it originally. Replace the engine without removing the swing arm so I didn't think that the swing arm mount was the source of the problem.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

But when you reinstalled the engine it probably wasnt setting spot on perfectly like it was before removal...right??? Thus you readjust the swing arm so the U joints dont click..and the rear wheel just follows the axle when its tightened so there isnt anything to do back there...just tweek the pivots a bit till alls well. my previous post I said something about seeing the tires the same distance on each side of the swingarm too....scratch that as I misspoke. When the rear tires mounted its just gonna be where the spacers trap it in the swingarm and there isnt anything to adjust there.
      Last edited by chuck hahn; 06-04-2017, 12:54 PM.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks. Appreciate it

Comment

I cant find that oring part number anywhere. Checked the diagrams in the Suzuki parts house and cant find it. Any idea what the part number would be?

Comment

Chuck posted the parts fiche site on post #4 , part 15 and 16
            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Thanks. You guys rock

Comment

So I decided to get started and removed the big rubber cover on the final drive assembly on top of the kickstand and this was completely filled with oil. My next step is to remove the back wheel (I need a new set of tires anyway)and then find the source of this leak. Any suggestions? It's clearly gear oil but is it from the gear box or the final drive? I'm thinking more gear box cause I removed the oil from both and my mystery leak looks more like my drained gear box oil. Also what parts do I need. Is there more than one seal? http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemp...2017/-oil-seal
                Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2017, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Anyone know what size the oil seal is as no longer available from Suzuki?

Thanks Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Ukcalling View Post
                    Anyone know what size the oil seal is as no longer available from Suzuki?

Thanks Nick
                    I know several folks have done this job, but I don't know that any have stopped to write the seal dimensions down. If you measure what you have, I'm sure you can get an appropriate seal from an industrial supplier for metric seals.

This is one such supplier near me (in Indianapolis in the US), but I'm sure you can find a similar supplier in the UK.

The bearings are still available from Suzuki, but they are also standard industrial metric parts you could very likely get from an industrial supplier. Most of these failures happen because the threaded stub on the end of the shaft breaks off and allows the splined drive flange to flop around and trash the bearing and seal. The fix is to drill and tap the shaft for a socket head bolt.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                    X