GS 1100 Shifting Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1100 Shifting Issues

Hey so im new to the forum, let me know if I didn't post this in the right place! My GS1100G has had shifting issues from day 1. Ive replaced the clutch cable, adjusted the cable, replaced the fiber and steel plates over the last 2 months.

I notice that the bike is rough shifting into 2nd. The odd thing is that it is not consistent, although I think it might be worse when the bike heats up. Not going to lie its messing with my head a bit, I've started to think that it sticks when I turn left out of an intersection as opposed to right!

When I first had the problem the bike was stuck in first, and dragging like mad. I made it back to my garage and since the above repairs its been much better, in that I can ride it. Its been about 3 weeks since the new clutch plates, last two times I've taken it out maybe 2 out of 10 times it will sort of stick and refuse to shift up to 2nd initially. The bike is totally ridable but as a rookie rider its a bit distracting.

Any ideas what might be causing this? Im trying to narrow things down to likely causes that dont include the transmission as I think an engine disassembly is way above my ability level right now.

Any help/ideas would be much appreciated!

Clutch baskets can get notches where the steel plates move in and out. You can try cleaning them up. Try doing a search.

Comment

Thanks will do!

Comment

Have you already changed out the transmission oil?
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
          Have you already changed out the transmission oil?
          The transmission is lubricated by the engine oil.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by kdo58 View Post
            Clutch baskets can get notches where the steel plates move in and out. You can try cleaning them up. Try doing a search.
            Here is what you are looking for:

File the notches smooth, if they are there. Not a quick job, but definitely worth the effort.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              The transmission is lubricated by the engine oil.

opps, my bad. I meant to say secondary gear oil.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by Jhoot View Post
                Hey so im new to the forum, let me know if I didn't post this in the right place! My GS1100G has had shifting issues from day 1. Ive replaced the clutch cable, adjusted the cable, replaced the fiber and steel plates over the last 2 months.

I notice that the bike is rough shifting into 2nd. The odd thing is that it is not consistent, although I think it might be worse when the bike heats up. Not going to lie its messing with my head a bit, I've started to think that it sticks when I turn left out of an intersection as opposed to right!

When I first had the problem the bike was stuck in first, and dragging like mad. I made it back to my garage and since the above repairs its been much better, in that I can ride it. Its been about 3 weeks since the new clutch plates, last two times I've taken it out maybe 2 out of 10 times it will sort of stick and refuse to shift up to 2nd initially. The bike is totally ridable but as a rookie rider its a bit distracting.

Any ideas what might be causing this? Im trying to narrow things down to likely causes that dont include the transmission as I think an engine disassembly is way above my ability level right now.

Any help/ideas would be much appreciated!
                So, do you have a clutch problem or a shifting problem? The two are not the same and you don't need the clutch at all to shift once you are rolling. You say you are a rookie rider, do you know any experienced riders who could take it for a spin and see what they think of it?

Mark
                1982 GS1100E
                1998 ZX-6R
                2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Whoa thanks for all the responses! Ive heard a couple of people mention the basket, maybe this is the next step after cable and plates? Im curious if you think notches in the basket would cause an inconsistent problem or if it would always be there? My problem seems to come and go and seems to be related to when the bike heats up after a longer ride.

Im not sure I can tell the difference between a clutch problem and a shifting problem at this point. My experience is that moving from 1st to 2nd the shift peg at times is super stiff to push up, at other times its smooth and easy. All the other gear transitions are silky smooth. I don't think the secondary transmission oil has been changed so I could look into that for sure. Right now id like to tick off any easy/cheap possible solutions before I take the clutch casing off again or (knock on wood) need to consider the transmission. A local shop has offered to take it for a test cruise for free to diagnose it for me so ill keep you posted when I learn more.

Thanks again for all the help, this site is an unreal resource!

Comment

My experience is that moving from 1st to 2nd the shift peg at times is super stiff to push up, at other times its smooth and easy. All the other gear transitions are silky smooth.
                    Are you using the clutch to shift or shifting without the clutch? If you can shift fine without the clutch then it isn't a gearbox issue. If you are relying on the clutch to smooth an otherwise rough shift then you probably have a clutch that isn't releasing properly. Does the clutch engage smoothly when starting from a stop? Does it disengage properly when you pull it in to come to a stop while in gear? Do you get a big clunk when you shift into first from neutral with the clutch pulled in?

Mark
                    1982 GS1100E
                    1998 ZX-6R
                    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

[QUOTE=mmattockx;2346457]Are you using the clutch to shift or shifting without the clutch? If you can shift fine without the clutch then it isn't a gearbox issue. If you are relying on the clutch to smooth an otherwise rough shift then you probably have a clutch that isn't releasing properly. Does the clutch engage smoothly when starting from a stop? Does it disengage properly when you pull it in to come to a stop while in gear? Do you get a big clunk when you shift into first from neutral with the clutch pulled in?

Mark[/QUOTE

Oh I see your point now Mark, thanks for asking again! Im not getting any slip or drag on the clutch, although it does clunk a bit into first from neutral.

I have never tried shifting without the clutch (TBH this brings up all sorts of questions for me, but ill filter), I just took it out to try, at first it refused to let me shift up into 2nd, the gear indicator on the central display would flash. After some persistence it began to work, and she actually seemed to like it as the shifting was pretty smooth. It seemed fine then, but once it wouldnt go up into 4th, then on my way home just coming in it refused to go into 2nd again.

Could this be my shifting technique? Do I need to have it at just the right revs to shift it in smoothly? Sounds like from what you are saying it may be the transmission (noooooo)

Joel

Comment

I have never tried shifting without the clutch (TBH this brings up all sorts of questions for me, but ill filter)
                        The easiest way to shift up without the clutch is to lightly preload the shifter towards the next gear, then roll off the throttle. As the revs come down it will shift when the revs match what the next gear wants. As soon as it shifts you have to add some throttle to keep rolling smoothly, but this is a feel thing and you have to work out how much your bike wants in each gear. I would try this in the higher gears first as they are the easiest to shift, the 1-2 shift is harder because you have to jump neutral. This also works better if you are accelerating reasonably briskly, trundling along at low throttle openings makes it pretty hard to be smooth.

One thing not mentioned was if the bike had sat a long time before you started riding it again? Sometimes it takes machines a bit of regular use to get back into working smoothly if they have done lots of sitting.

Mark
                        1982 GS1100E
                        1998 ZX-6R
                        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Thanks that makes sense, I think the times it was having a hard time shifting w/o the clutch tonight was when I was rolling at lower speeds. I've been watching some videos too on how to shift without the clutch. I think I need to get out and practice a bit more before I can conclude if the bike is shifting okay without the clutch and then whether or not there might be a gearbox issue. The PO said he was using it as his daily, but he said alot of things so im not really sure! Looking forward to getting into this bike more over the winter, thanks again for the help, ill keep you posted with how it all goes!

Joel

Comment

Shifting issue seems to have totally resolved itself, is that even possible? I mean ill take it...

Comment

Shifting issue seems to have totally resolved itself, is that even possible? I mean ill take it...
                              Could be something finally loosened up with some use, maybe a clutch dragging or such. I would take as well and keep an eye (and ear) out for any signs of problems cropping up.

Mark
                              1982 GS1100E
                              1998 ZX-6R
                              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
                              X