New GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS750

Picked up this 1977 GS750 a few weeks ago but only just got around to getting some pictures. Me and my buddy are planning on doing a 2 month cross country trip next summer and I thought that might be a little much for my GS450.
    I hate the handlebars - they gave me a numb wrist on the 120 mile ride home but besides that I'll be keeping it pretty much exactly how it is. It does need some obvious, but regular, stuff:

-Handlebars
    -Shorten/replace cables
    -Valve clearances
    -Seal Airbox
    -Clean up some of the rust on the frame
    -Oil/Fluds, etc.
    -Rebuild front brake system
    -Go through carbs
    -New Chain/Sprockets

The PO was a collector and had a bunch of mint GS bikes and Hondas including a GS1000 with 82 miles - I think somebody posted about that one in the For Sale section a month ago.

I do have one question - the PO said he rebuilt the carbs with K&L rebuild kits which made me cringe a little bit since now I don't have the original jets or know (haven't looked yet) what's in there. Does anybody have any experience with these kits?

1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Looks like a nice pickup.

Your to-do list looks good. You might want to add new tires and checking the charging system to the list. A bike like that just begs to be ridden. Oh, and check the points and plugs too. Old bikes are like a wooden boat, always something to do.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

congrats on the purchase, she looks great. A bit of spit and polish and some new parts are she'll be good to go for years. Ed's note about the ignition stuff and electronics is good. I always go thru the wiring harness as well and clean up the connections and grounds. The K&L kits are fine, people like the stock parts better but the K&L will work fine. Those sure are some weird handle bars.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks for the feedback - I'll be looking into the electronics as well including upgrading to the SH775, getting rid of the headlight charging circuit, putting in the coil relay mod and maybe even upgrading to an electronic ignition, depending on my budgets and other projects in the spring!

I have no idea where the bars come from but they seem awfully like the ones that came on the GS450L. I hate them. I don't have a good picture but there's a backrest and luggage rack that are in really good shape. Definitely going to come in handy on a longer trip.
        1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
        1977 GS550

Comment

Congrats on a great purchase. Love Love Love the spoke'd wheels, I'm such a fan of the vintage look. After the new bars go on, and a bit of clean up, she'll be a real looker. Is it rude to ask what you paid?

p-
          PB
          Central Jersey
          82' Suzuki GS750T

"Old school is the best school"

Comment

Nice! I had one like it and that seat will get to you after a few hours. good luck with your trip.

Comment

Awesome!

Lots of tasks to complete on your 750. Happy cleaning and post pics as you investigate each area.

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Nice looking 750. Nice to see one that looks to be all there. Good luck.
                The trip sound like a fun adventure.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I'd like dual front discs on my list.
                  Nice bike and bon voyage.
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Pb9717 View Post
                    Congrats on a great purchase. Love Love Love the spoke'd wheels, I'm such a fan of the vintage look. After the new bars go on, and a bit of clean up, she'll be a real looker. Is it rude to ask what you paid?

p-
                    Don't mind at all - the guy was asking $1,500 but dropped it to $1,300 pretty much as soon as we started "talking money".

B.C.G.S - I'm eager to find out how I fair on the bike for long distances. I rode it 2 1/2 hours home and by the end was itching to move around a little. I think a lot of it had to do with the handlebars.

I found a pretty cool blog about a road trip in 1977 with a brand new GS750 thats been getting me siked up:

1977 GS550

Comment

You mentioned a cross country trip. Are you crazy, you can't take such a old motorcycle on a cross country trip! It has to be a new motorcycle at least a 1979 or newer! Lol. Where and when do you and your buddy plan on going? I am also planning a cross country trip to Arizona next summer. Probably around mid June. I'm planning on taking the southern route, Mississippi Louisiana Texas... I'll most likely take my 1000e. Nice motorcycle by the way. Tell us more about your trip plans. 👍
                      My Motorcycles:
                      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                      79 1000e (all original)
                      82 850g (all original)
                      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

If you guys get within 150 miles of here on your road trip, let me know and I may try to meet up with you.
                        1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

I once rode 1300 miles through desert and mountain highways 5 days on my street legal 83 atc200x long rides are the best memories.

Comment

I love the encouragement thanks everyone!

As for the trip:

So far it's me and my main riding buddy who has a 1969 sportster that we'll be fixing up over the winter. I have a couple other friends who said they were interested but we'll see how that plays out (haha). Over the past few years I've done a handful of long weekend to week long trips covering up to 1,500 miles on my GS450 (alone and with others) and I'm dying to go on a longer trip and really get in to the `travelling' mindset.

I've been doing a ton of `planning' over the past few months but we haven't set anything in stone yet. I have a lot of packing lists, camping equipt. lists, tool lists, bike to-do lists, places to go lists, lots of lists. We want the trip to be mostly camping but will probably hit up some cities that we have friends in.

Our mentality is to be as flexible as possible and I don't think that there will be a single `destination'. Neither of us have smart phones and don't plan on getting them by then so it will be maps only. That being said, what I am thinking as or today is to head south down to Virginia/North Carolina before heading west. We'll see what happens and it would be awesome to meet up with/ride with anybody who is on the way!

I also plan on making some or all of the luggage to fit our bikes and trip needs which is something I'm excited about doing over the winter when I don't feel like freezing in the garage.

I'll update as we make plans and fix up the bikes.
                            1977 GS550

Comment

Dang, I didn't realize you were in Boston. if you're foolhardy enough to stop in NJ, let me know.

Cool about the maps- I still prefer paper maps and atlases. One of my pre trip rituals involves poring over maps and choosing routes. Then it generally falls by the wayside as the trip unfolds and a wheres that road go mentality takes over.
                              Last edited by dorkburger; 11-16-2016, 01:10 PM.
                              sigpic
                              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                              -Rusty old scooter.
                              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                              X