Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New GS750

Default New GS750

Picked up this 1977 GS750 a few weeks ago but only just got around to getting some pictures. Me and my buddy are planning on doing a 2 month cross country trip next summer and I thought that might be a little much for my GS450.
    I hate the handlebars - they gave me a numb wrist on the 120 mile ride home but besides that I'll be keeping it pretty much exactly how it is. It does need some obvious, but regular, stuff:

-Handlebars
    -Shorten/replace cables
    -Valve clearances
    -Seal Airbox
    -Clean up some of the rust on the frame
    -Oil/Fluds, etc.
    -Rebuild front brake system
    -Go through carbs
    -New Chain/Sprockets

The PO was a collector and had a bunch of mint GS bikes and Hondas including a GS1000 with 82 miles - I think somebody posted about that one in the For Sale section a month ago.

I do have one question - the PO said he rebuilt the carbs with K&L rebuild kits which made me cringe a little bit since now I don't have the original jets or know (haven't looked yet) what's in there. Does anybody have any experience with these kits?

1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Looks like a nice pickup.

Your to-do list looks good. You might want to add new tires and checking the charging system to the list. A bike like that just begs to be ridden. Oh, and check the points and plugs too. Old bikes are like a wooden boat, always something to do.

congrats on the purchase, she looks great. A bit of spit and polish and some new parts are she'll be good to go for years. Ed's note about the ignition stuff and electronics is good. I always go thru the wiring harness as well and clean up the connections and grounds. The K&L kits are fine, people like the stock parts better but the K&L will work fine. Those sure are some weird handle bars.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Thanks for the feedback - I'll be looking into the electronics as well including upgrading to the SH775, getting rid of the headlight charging circuit, putting in the coil relay mod and maybe even upgrading to an electronic ignition, depending on my budgets and other projects in the spring!

I have no idea where the bars come from but they seem awfully like the ones that came on the GS450L. I hate them. I don't have a good picture but there's a backrest and luggage rack that are in really good shape. Definitely going to come in handy on a longer trip.
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550

Congrats on a great purchase. Love Love Love the spoke'd wheels, I'm such a fan of the vintage look. After the new bars go on, and a bit of clean up, she'll be a real looker. Is it rude to ask what you paid?

p-
    PB
    Central Jersey
    82' Suzuki GS750T

"Old school is the best school"

Nice! I had one like it and that seat will get to you after a few hours. good luck with your trip.

Awesome!

Lots of tasks to complete on your 750. Happy cleaning and post pics as you investigate each area.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

The fact that you infer my non-acceptance is what I'm talking about. (31Jan2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Nice looking 750. Nice to see one that looks to be all there. Good luck.
    The trip sound like a fun adventure.

When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

I'd like dual front discs on my list.
    Nice bike and bon voyage.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Quote Originally Posted by Pb9717 View Post
    Congrats on a great purchase. Love Love Love the spoke'd wheels, I'm such a fan of the vintage look. After the new bars go on, and a bit of clean up, she'll be a real looker. Is it rude to ask what you paid?

p-
    Don't mind at all - the guy was asking $1,500 but dropped it to $1,300 pretty much as soon as we started "talking money".

B.C.G.S - I'm eager to find out how I fair on the bike for long distances. I rode it 2 1/2 hours home and by the end was itching to move around a little. I think a lot of it had to do with the handlebars.

I found a pretty cool blog about a road trip in 1977 with a brand new GS750 thats been getting me siked up:

http://pietboonstra.blogspot.com/201...xperience.html
    1977 GS550