Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New GS750

You mentioned a cross country trip. Are you crazy, you can't take such a old motorcycle on a cross country trip! It has to be a new motorcycle at least a 1979 or newer! Lol. Where and when do you and your buddy plan on going? I am also planning a cross country trip to Arizona next summer. Probably around mid June. I'm planning on taking the southern route, Mississippi Louisiana Texas... I'll most likely take my 1000e. Nice motorcycle by the way. Tell us more about your trip plans. 👍
    My Motorcycles:
    21 Triumph Tiger 900 GT (coming to a town near you)
    16 Yamaha FJR1300 (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    82 750e (parts Bike)
    80 KZ650f (needs restored)

If you guys get within 150 miles of here on your road trip, let me know and I may try to meet up with you.
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

DohcBikes Guest

I once rode 1300 miles through desert and mountain highways 5 days on my street legal 83 atc200x long rides are the best memories.

I love the encouragement thanks everyone!

As for the trip:

So far it's me and my main riding buddy who has a 1969 sportster that we'll be fixing up over the winter. I have a couple other friends who said they were interested but we'll see how that plays out (haha). Over the past few years I've done a handful of long weekend to week long trips covering up to 1,500 miles on my GS450 (alone and with others) and I'm dying to go on a longer trip and really get in to the `travelling' mindset.

I've been doing a ton of `planning' over the past few months but we haven't set anything in stone yet. I have a lot of packing lists, camping equipt. lists, tool lists, bike to-do lists, places to go lists, lots of lists. We want the trip to be mostly camping but will probably hit up some cities that we have friends in.

Our mentality is to be as flexible as possible and I don't think that there will be a single `destination'. Neither of us have smart phones and don't plan on getting them by then so it will be maps only. That being said, what I am thinking as or today is to head south down to Virginia/North Carolina before heading west. We'll see what happens and it would be awesome to meet up with/ride with anybody who is on the way!

I also plan on making some or all of the luggage to fit our bikes and trip needs which is something I'm excited about doing over the winter when I don't feel like freezing in the garage.

I'll update as we make plans and fix up the bikes.
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Dang, I didn't realize you were in Boston. if you're foolhardy enough to stop in NJ, let me know.

Cool about the maps- I still prefer paper maps and atlases. One of my pre trip rituals involves poring over maps and choosing routes. Then it generally falls by the wayside as the trip unfolds and a wheres that road go mentality takes over.
    Last edited by dorkburger; 11-16-2016 at 01:10 PM.

When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Quote Originally Posted by storm 64 View Post
    You mentioned a cross country trip. Are you crazy, you can't take such a old motorcycle on a cross country trip! It has to be a new motorcycle at least a 1979 or newer! Lol. Where and when do you and your buddy plan on going? I am also planning a cross country trip to Arizona next summer. Probably around mid June. I'm planning on taking the southern route, Mississippi Louisiana Texas... I'll most likely take my 1000e. Nice motorcycle by the way. Tell us more about your trip plans. 
    I am wanting to ride down to Texas sometime in June. The wife and I are are planning a trip out there for a Grad party. She won't let me ride... Yet... Could make my case easier if someone was riding with me... I will have more details of when sometime around April I'm thinking... She is going to take a week off, and I want to take 2-3 weeks off. Camping all the way out sounds great but a hot shower along the way couldn't be bad either...

If your buddy is planning to ride a '69 Harley ANYTHING, plan on stopping a lot. Not a shot, just reality... Good luck with that awesome 750!!!
    '83 GS 1100T
    The Jet

'95 GSXR 750w
    The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

No offense taken - I'm probably more apprehensive about it than he is ...

I'm buying new handlebars today - DCC has free shipping so I'm thinking about these right now:

Tracker style- Says they're similar to stock CB750's.
    Rise: 4 1/2
    Pullback: 7 1/4

DCC Original -
    Rise: 5
    Pullback: 7

Euro Bars -
    Rise: 2
    Pullback: 5 1/2

It would be great to hear some others' experience on what bars they use, if they're similar to any of these, and how they like them. I think the Euro bars would look the best, but don't want to sacrifice any comfort since I hope to be spending a lot of time on this bike.
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550

Need to replace the tires and have a question about sizing. On there now is:

Front: 3.25 H 19 RB2
    Rear: 120/90 H 18

Will a 4.00-18 -64 S fit the rear?
    I'm running tubes and haven't found many options so far. Thinking of going with these:

http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tube...le-tire?m=6100

Any other suggestions for tubed tires?
    1977 GS550

Anyone have experience with ebay fork seals? Says they last 3 times longer than OEM and the dealership by me is quoting $18 per seal: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-GS750...ZZOvuB&vxp=mtr
    1977 GS550

I don't think I'll live to see a 90 year old fork seal.... I asked last year.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ket&highlight=

When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/