Sand in engine block; what should I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sand in engine block; what should I do?

I am in the process of reassembling the engine of a 1981 GS850. I've never worked on a motorcycle before, so I've been answering most of my questions through my service manual and this forum. However, I came across an issue that I haven't seen posted. I was about to work on cleaning up the mating surface on top of the block when I noticed there was some sand inside the block. I tried to show the sand in the picture below. There isn't a lot, but it is definitely still there. I scraped some of it out. It is definitely sand, not metal. The entire bike was covered in sand when I got it, but I didn't expect to see it inside the block. What should I do? Can I fill the block with water and rinse it out, or would that damage/corrode components? If not water, what should I do? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Untitled-1.jpg

The CORRECT fix is to split the cases, disassemble everything, & clean everything WELL before reassembly.
    Ray.
    Ray.

Comment

I would agree to that !
      My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Is it possible to fix this problem without splitting the case? I know that it's not ideal to continue with reassembly without opening everything up, but I'm on a very tight deadline for finishing the bike. Is cleaning the block with water then properly draining everything an option?

Comment

listen to the advice, you will not clean it out properly without splitting the cases. sand will destroy your engine in no time at all.
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Even if you were able to get all the sand out without splitting the cases, I would never use water.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
            1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Can you scoop out the debris? Use a cloth wet with mineral spirits to collect it out? After you get out all you can then pull the oil pan and use something like brake cleaner to try to wash the rest of the debris down and out the bottom of the engine.

It's common for some debris to fall into the engine when pulling off the cylinder and using this technique helps save a full tear down. You gotta keep the sand away from the roller bearings though.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                The CORRECT fix is to split the cases, disassemble everything, & clean everything WELL before reassembly.
                Ray.
                Ray.
                Cant argue with experience...but if you decide on plan B id find somewhere you could completely submerge and flush the whole thing in parts wash / solvent.
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Can you scoop out the debris? Use a cloth wet with mineral spirits to collect it out? After you get out all you can then pull the oil pan and use something like brake cleaner to try to wash the rest of the debris down and out the bottom of the engine.

It's common for some debris to fall into the engine when pulling off the cylinder and using this technique helps save a full tear down. You gotta keep the sand away from the roller bearings though.
                  This and maybe flush with paraffin, kerosene or diesel being aware that you could be flushing sand into the bearings.
                  sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
                    Even if you were able to get all the sand out without splitting the cases, I would never use water.
                    I would - and do - use hot soapy water. Best thing for cleaning barrels after honing - and cases after bead blasting.
                    Followed up with a high pressure solvent rinse and blow dry prior to assembly.

Any sign of sand that may have got in IMO means a full strip and clean out.

Comment

My question is, how could that much sand get inside the engine in the first place? Interesting...
                      My Motorcycles:
                      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                      79 1000e (all original)
                      82 850g (all original)
                      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by RedBolide View Post
                        ..., but I'm on a very tight deadline for finishing the bike.
                        Does that "tight deadline" include enough time to take the engine apart AGAIN, and replacing even MORE parts after finding up that you screwed it up by not doing it properly the first time?

Deadlines are meant to be pushed and changed, it all depends on whether you want it done RIGHT.

All I can say is "I'm glad it's not MY bike you are making that decision with".

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My thoughts are, time is free. Parts and gaskets are not !
                          My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                            My question is, how could that much sand get inside the engine in the first place? Interesting...
                            It falls in when the cylinders are raised up. There is always some crud in between the four center cylinder studs. They are open to the airflow between the cooling fins so some sand, dirt, rust or whatever is always in there. Sometimes more than others, but it's hard to get the cylinders off with the engine in the frame without dumping it in. If you set the engine on it's front and slide the cylinders off horizontally the sand falls out the front, not into the case.

If I was short on time I might set the whole engine upside down in the parts washer, remove the oil pan and rinse it with solvent as you turn the crank slowly but the odds of getting it all out are slim.
                            Splitting the cases and doing it right isn't really that big of a deal.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have an extra 81 850 engine that needs a head gasket replaced. It was in a bike and ran strong. Only had about 15k on it.
                              David
                              1998 Suzuki Bandit
                              1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
                              1978 GS1000 - gone
                              1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Working...
                              X