1979 GS750E Project Pointers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS750E Project Pointers

Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum and my first motorbike. I've been kindly donated a shaft-driven 1979 GS750E Japanese import from a friend who was moving back to Australia. Absolutely delighted to have been donated such a classic. It was driven from the UK to France and then to Turkey and back and it's still going! My aim is to take the bike to pieces then rebuild and refurbish everything whilst adding a few modern safety systems and a personalised cafe racer-esque touch. My issue is I'm unsure of where to start. Would anyone be kind enough to point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Kenny

Originally posted by hairfromthepast View Post
    Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum and my first motorbike. I've been kindly donated a shaft-driven 1979 GS750E Japanese import from a friend who was moving back to Australia. Absolutely delighted to have been donated such a classic. It was driven from the UK to France and then to Turkey and back and it's still going! My aim is to take the bike to pieces then rebuild and refurbish everything whilst adding a few modern safety systems and a personalised cafe racer-esque touch. My issue is I'm unsure of where to start. Would anyone be kind enough to point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Kenny
    I know I would like to see a few pictures!

Comment

IMG_20161204_161534.jpg
      I'll get a few more tomorrow

Comment

My aim is to take the bike to pieces then rebuild and refurbish everything whilst adding a few modern safety systems (...) My issue is I'm unsure of where to start. Would anyone be kind enough to point me in the right direction?
        Judging from the picture you have provided that bike was stored indoors for some time. In this case, I wouldn't take it apart, instead, focus on getting it road-worthy again.

So first read the top 10 newbie mistakes thread.

Then:
        1. Clean the carbs
        2. Replace the intake boot o-rings if necessary (it most likely will be)
        3. Replace the air intake filter (it will have crumbled apart by now)
        3. Check the valve clearance
        4. Replace the engine oil (Shaft, not yet)
        5. Check the charging system with posplayr's quick test thread
        7. Check tires (you don't want to ride with cracking rubber), brakes, lights and all that stuff that makes it safe to go out on the road and traffic
        8. Now read your bike's manual to learn what other maintenance tasks are to be done, and catch up
        9. You can now plan to add your personal touch.

If you begin with 9 instead, you will end up with a never-ending story of a bike that you can't ride often, or not at all.

edit:
        whilst adding a few modern safety systems
        This confuses me.
        Last edited by roeme; 12-05-2016, 07:13 AM.
        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Welcome to the site, Kenny.
          I did not know they made a 750cc G.
          Are you sure it is a '79?
          Not that it makes any difference, this item says they only made them in '80/'81.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I believe they started making four stroke 750's in 1977. I know I've got a '78!
            Ron
            When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
            1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
            1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
            1982 GS1100E
            1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Judging from the picture you have provided that bike was stored indoors for some time. In this case, I wouldn't take it apart, instead, focus on getting it road-worthy again.
              Thanks for the reply, the bike was running "OK" during the summer but only took it for a few wee runs to keep things moving, seemed pretty low on power. Now I just need to get a gas heater for my garage and I'll be on my way.

By safety systems I meant upgraded brakes and suspension, just to make it a little safer on the road. The previous owner suggested '90's Katana suspension and brakes with better cooling.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                I did not know they made a 750cc G.
                Are you sure it is a '79?
                Steve, I'm only going on what the previous owner said to me. I'm currently waiting for the V5C registration document to come through the post and that should confirm things. Bear in mind it was a Japanese import but I could be getting confused.

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
                  I believe they started making four stroke 750's in 1977. I know I've got a '78!
                  Steve is talking about the shaft drive. No shaft drive 750's in '78 or '79.
                  -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                    Steve is talking about the shaft drive. No shaft drive 750's in '78 or '79.
                    John, the previous owner told me it was a '79E, the frame and engine serial numbers say it is a G. I will confirm everything once I receive the V5C.

Kenny

Comment

I wouldn't trust a word any PO said, unless you know him of course LOL.
                      -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Its got CV carbs, must be an 80 jap market model.
                        My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Update

Hey guys, it's been a while but I can finally post an update. So the bike's definitely a 750G shaft driven Japanese import but not sure of the year. Does anyone know if there's a way to tell?

Have finally found someone with experience to give me some pointers and a little bit of a hand. This morning we took the carbs apart and gave them a good clean, unfortunately it seems like someone had previously tried to repair a broken float post, it's still in place and holding (one for the future). Also checked the air filter and boot rings which will need replacing, and he advised me to change the gaskets once i had all the other maintenance complete.

Finally we found that the fuel cock is not working, so that'll most likely be why I couldn't get the bike to start. So this week I'll be emptying the tank and trying to figure out if I can fix or have to replace the cock. All in all a successful start to the autumn.
                          Attached Files

Comment

IMG_20170909_174236582.jpg
                            Fuel tank and carbs removed

Comment

Carburettors including repaired float post
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X