First Start Since 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Start Since 2008

I got my project bike running today and had a few questions.

1. I've got two vacuum hoses that come off little tees from the carburetors, where do they go? I currently just have them hanging, and the bike ran. I've already got the third one off of carb #2 going to the petcock, so I have no clue where these other two go.

2. I've got two hoses, one coming off the top and bottom of the plastic intake manifold, where do those route to?

3. Based on the video, does the bike sound ok? I'm sure I need to screw with the mixture adjustment, but it sounded more like an angry lawnmower to me, was wondering if that was normal...

4. And lastly, at 5k RPM I only got 13.5V on the battery, is that enough to charge it or should it be higher?

Here's the link to the video of it running.

I know you're not supposed to rev it when cold, but I got really excited. You can see me checking the multimeter throughout the video.

Be gentle, I'm new at this.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-01-2017, 05:54 PM.

As to 1.. Look at pic in this link

as to 2.. Hose off top of sirbox goes to camcover top. Hose on bottom is a drain hose (has an odd fitting in it)

for 3.. My hearing stinks and I hate to hear tortured sounds- others will comment

for 4.. Your charging is poor, so welcome to gs charging fun with endless info start here

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      As to 1.. Look at pic in this link

as to 2.. Hose off top of sirbox goes to camcover top. Hose on bottom is a drain hose (has an odd fitting in it)

for 3.. My hearing stinks and I hate to hear tortured sounds- others will comment

for 4.. Your charging is poor, so welcome to gs charging fun with endless info start here

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...92#post1272192
      Thanks for those links, I've got it routed correctly now, I figured out the lawnmower noise is coming from cylinder #1 not firing, the pipe is ice cold while the others are 100°F. Any idea why it's not firing? What should I check for?

Comment

Cylinder 1 not firing and pipe is cold. I would think that the carbs need a good cleaning. Something is blocking the carb. Basscliffe's website carb tutorial for info on taking them apart and re assembly. Someone in your area might have a sonic cleaner available. I used the dip cleaner but the sonic cleaner did the job much better. Some shops have this service available and there is someone on this site that does it as well.

Comment

I completely tore apart the carbs down to the castings before I even attempted to start it, does this mean I need to do it again?

Here's a link to the pictures of me rebuilding the carbs https://goo.gl/photos/vZH2aHFCb4zZ5nfi9

Comment

Ok here's an update, got all cylinders firing by switching the plug wires, I don't remember taking them off but I guess I did and put them back on wrong.

1. Carb #2 is filling with fuel and is spilling everywhere. I took the carbs off twice to check the needle and seat for blockage, it was clean both times, what else could be causing this?

2. Bike will start immediately but then climbs revs very quickly and doesn't stop, I got scared and shut it off around 7k when it started climbing faster, is this related to carb #2 overfilling?

Also my bike is on the center stand if that makes a difference.
            Last edited by Guest; 01-02-2017, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Carb #2 over filling with the engine running can only be a float valve related issue. Either the valve is bad or the float is hanging up on the bowl gasket. I'm assuming that it doesn't leak fuel until the engine starts. If it leaks before that, then you also have a bad petcock. Have you tried to give the #2 carb float bowl a rap with a hammer to see if it will close the valve? You need to get this fixed before proceeding and keep an eye on your oil to make sure no gas is getting into the crankcase.

As for over revving, do you have the choke on? Does it still rev with the choke off?

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

It overfills even with the bike off, I think it's related to my float height so I'm going to check that in a second.

Thanks for the tip on gas in the oil, it's completely full with gas and I'm gonna change it today. I'm currently running the bike off of an auxiliary fuel tank because my actual one is full of rust, so no petcock. Is that bad?

Lastly, it over revs with the choke on or off, tried it both ways and still revs like crazy.

Thanks for your speedy reply as I go back to school on Wednesday and want to get as much done as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by TheYukbob View Post
                  It overfills even with the bike off, I think it's related to my float height so I'm going to check that in a second.

Thanks for the tip on gas in the oil, it's completely full with gas and I'm gonna change it today. I'm currently running the bike off of an auxiliary fuel tank because my actual one is full of rust, so no petcock. Is that bad?

Lastly, it over revs with the choke on or off, tried it both ways and still revs like crazy.

Thanks for your speedy reply as I go back to school on Wednesday and want to get as much done as possible.
                  If it over fills with the engine off and the petcock is not in the prime position, then your petcock is also defective. Fuel would not flow to the carbs if the vacuum operated petcock didn't have vacuum to open it.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I'm using an auxiliary gas tank so there is no petcock, shouldn't the floats shut off fuel to the bowls even if the petcock is defective or non existent in my case?

Comment

If your auxiliary tank is too high above the carbs, the extra gravity flow to the carbs will overcome the float valves.
                      sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
                      '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
                      '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
                      '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
                      '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
                      '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
                      '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
                      '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
                      '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
                      '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Alright, good thinking, that was my issue.

Now a new issue popped up....

I turn the bike on and it immediately revs sky high. There's no air leak in my intake boots, my throttle isn't stuck open, and my mixture is definitely not too lean at 3.5 turns out.

What am I doing wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by TheYukbob View Post
                          ...shouldn't the floats shut off fuel to the bowls even if the petcock is defective or non existent in my case?
                          Yes, they should.

Comment

Any have ideas as to why the revving is happening? What I know is detailed in my last post.

Comment

1st off... Hi Fellow NTX member!

Is it blowing any black smoke when its revving? And I know it sounds silly, but are you sure you just don't have the idle speed adjusted up too high? Also, sometimes if the throttle cable isn't routed correctly they can rev when the bars are turned.
                              1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Working...
                              X