New member in Sweden but American most of my life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member in Sweden but American most of my life

Hey guys, I've been reading as much as I can on the forum ever since I bought a 1977 GS750e in October last year. I finally got my bike in-doors and I'm ready to get into it.

About me: 35 years old, born and raised near Louisville, Kentucky but now live with my girlfriend in Gothenburg, Sweden, it's on the west coast. I've been riding since I was 18. My first bike was a 1993 FZR600, than I got a 1999 Kawasaki ZX750R, after that an insanely fast 2005 ZX10R. After that I started buying older bikes; a 1969 Honda CB160, four Honda S90s different years, a 1971 CB500/4, a 1971 CB175, 81' YZ465, 1978 Suzuki SP370, and finally a 2002 GSF 1200 Bandit that is still back in Indiana at my parent's house, also the CB160 and a 72' Yamaha enduro 125 are in my brother's garage back home. I sold all the other bikes which I mostly regret selling, at least the ones that ran.

I rebuilt the top end on the CB160 and the CB500 four, took some time to get it right, but I did alright by myself, just had to learn the hard ways. The longest bike I've owned is the 2002 GSF 1200 which I rebuilt the carbs and just tinkered a lot with, it's a great bike.

Now I have a 77' GS750e that I really like. I bought it running in October 16' from an old guy who lives near the Volvo HQ in Sweden, got a great deal on it. I was really impressed with the acceleration and handling from such an older bike, I really think it out handles my GSF in turns. Unfortunately the cheap aftermarket clutch cable broke in traffic and I haven't been able to ride it since. It still runs though. I got some parts like two OEM clutch handles and neither work for the perch so I'm guessing the perch is not original, and I have no idea what it could be from. The bike is not super great cosmetically and has been rigged in certain areas,but it's still a great platform since it runs well.

I look forward to getting advice and trying to share some of my own, thanks!

Added some photos of bikes I've had if anyone is interested.

I went to the local "auto store" here, they don't have Carb cleaner Going to have to figure something else out. I did go by the pharmacy and bought some little brushes.

Comment

Howdy jibledso.

Hope you get your clutch issue sorted for spring riding.

The parts of Kentucky I've been to were beautiful but I have never been to Sweden. Do post pics of your bike and some of the countryside when you can.

Cheers
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Here's the picture of the 77' right after I bought it. I have it in a basement bicycle room right now with the tank off. I might start a thread while painting, carb cleaning, clutch cable issue solving, and valve adjusting, etc.

I'm seriously considering riding to Bergen, Norway once it gets somewhat warm, at least for this far up north.
        Attached Files

Comment

Now theres a 750 with two front brakes. Is that a stock setup? Nice looking bike!
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I honestly have no idea about the disks, I really have nothing to compare them to, but now that you mention it they're slotted so I guess they aren't? This is a Euro model, has the KM speedo but I see very little else that is different than the U.S. version. This picture is quite flattering to the bike cosmetically, it looks a little rougher in person, it definitely needs a paint job, someone tried a half ass job some years ago, drips and all. Someone did put tape around the air filter and weird wire mesh on just half of it. I got a K&N replacement filter, fits nicely, but I'll have to make a new seal for it. Already read the thread about the mouse pad idea. I'll start a project thread soon. Just ate dinner and I'm charging my phone, I'll go down stairs and start snapping pictures of the rigging and missing things on the bike, you may not see the bike as so nice anymore

Got on motorcyclespecs.com and realize the 76' only had a single front disc, so I'm pretty sure these twin discs were added at some point.
            Last edited by Guest; 01-02-2017, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Hi jibledso. I've got the 1978 750. I think the '77 model had a single front disc and spoke rims. The '77 also had a flat seat, like yours. My '78 seat is stepped. So either someone shaved down the seat on a '78 or put alloy wheels and two discs on a '77.

Is that a 4 into 1 exhaust?

I might have a used clutch perch somewhere, if you're still looking for one.
              K.

1978 GS750E
              1981 KZ440D

Comment

Yep, it's a 4-1, not sure which brand but it sounds amazing! I've heard a lot of 4-1 on old Japanese bikes but this one is exceptional. I'll try and get a video of it down the road.

Well, things rust really really easy here on the west coast of Sweden so it would not be surprising at all if someone put cast wheels on it after so much rusting. The guy I bought it from said the previous owner was a woman, and it had those awful ape hanging bars on it. I've already switched them to a smaller more straight bar.

I may take up your offer on the perch. I got my phone back and I'm going to call this old guy who may have here in Sweden if not we can figure something out, thanks.

Comment

Its probably a 78 with a 77 manufacturing date. If the ignition switch incorporates the steering lock, dead center below the gauges, would settle it.

*edit, I see from one of our pics, the ignition switch is off-center, 77 style, starts to look like a parts pile bike, wheels are 78, however-
                  Last edited by recycled64; 01-02-2017, 10:29 PM. Reason: new info
                  sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
                  '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
                  '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
                  '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
                  '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
                  '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
                  '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
                  '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
                  '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
                  '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Just to muddy the waters a little - in the late '70s many of the 750cc and upwards sold in the European market were fitted with twin discs as standard (or the basic single-disc setup simply wasn't offered) as they were marketed as sports-oriented, and buyers expected these things for their money.
                    It was usually a decision for the main importing dealer for each country; if they thought the pov-spec base version wouldn't attract sales, it got left on the docks in Hamamatsu.
                    Yamaha even did it with the XS650 - twin discs in Europe, single in US. This, on a bike that developed quite few horses fewer than the GS750. More braking power is always a good thing though, so I'm glad they did that.
                    Last edited by Grimly; 01-04-2017, 06:28 AM.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Sweden would look at it as a safety issue; Do you want bigger brakes? Is is safer? Yes please!

It's not often you see any old GS 8 valves here, there's a lot more GSX750 16v bikes from the 80s. It would be interesting to know the break down and import numbers. There is a vintage Suzuki club here, but I have yet to have success navigating it and becoming a member.

Comment

Working...
                      X