Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question re: brake line replacement

Hello,
    I am restoring a 1980 GS850GT and currently have all the brakes off to rebuild them. I will admit that I have no idea what I am doing. Youtube, this site, and friends are educating me along the way.

-The brake lines seem to be in fine condition. Should I spend the money for braided lines?
    -If yes, is everything 10mm?
    -What is the purpose of the springs over the lines? Simply protecting the line?
    -Is there any reason that I cannot use the OEM brakes, levers, master cylinders, etc with braided lines?
    -Finally, do I need to replace all the copper crush washers or can i reuse them? They are cheap enough so I may anyway.

Thanks a ton for any help. The generosity of knowledge on this site is incredible.
    Happy New Year,
    Peter

I am restoring a 1980 GS850GT and currently have all the brakes off to rebuild them. I will admit that I have no idea what I am doing. Youtube, this site, and friends are educating me along the way.
    If you don't already have, get a rebuild kit which includes new rubber parts. Decent kits will include more (copper washer, bleed nipples,...)

-Is there any reason that I cannot use the OEM brakes, levers, master cylinders, etc with braided lines?
    No
    -Finally, do I need to replace all the copper crush washers or can i reuse them? They are cheap enough so I may anyway.
    Can be reused in most cases, but makes no economical sense, as decent kits include them.

Personally, based in the EU, I have used kits from powerhouse.co.uk. May be pricier than others, but include everything for a proper rebuild.

Edit:

-The brake lines seem to be in fine condition. Should I spend the money for braided lines?
    Not a question of wether or not to do it, but when

Personally, I have put off the investment for a later date, as braided lines are ridiculously priced in my country.
    Last edited by roeme; 01-03-2017, 10:16 AM.
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Good morning. That's on my to do list for this winter. I haven't gotten all parts together yet though.

Here's a couple of links to get you started.

Sorry if a couple of those go to the same place... A while back I was talking with a member who had a used set of braided lines for sale. May save you some time if you're interested send chef1366 (or maybe he'll chime in)a pm if you're interested, maybe they're still available.

Those rubber lines if original were supposed to be replaced every few years, so if you have them off, yes replace them.

I think the springs were to keep the hose from expanding and blowing out where it bends (could be wrong though)

Look through those links and the threads I'm sure you'll find the answers.

Roger
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Thanks for the fast replies.
        I have already ordered replacement parts for the brakes themselves. Cups, seals, boots, etc....anything that was pitted, cracked, or worn. Two of the brakes were seized when I took ownership. In fact, all of my brakes, master cylinders, etc are sitting on my dining room table now. Luckily I am single : )
        I ordered it all through Babbit's online to keep OEM but I am seeing that there is a premium attached to doing so.
        I will try to get in contact with Chef1366. Thanks for the lead.

Cheers,
        Peter

Comment

I replaced my front lines with braided lines, which gave a much firmer feel at the lever- I consider it a performance and safety upgrade. I have no experience with DIY line kits so I cant comment on that. I sent my originals to Galfer and they matched them (3 lines in my case). They came with new banjo bolts and washers, but they sent incorrect bolts, so I reused the originals without issue.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Good to know that you can send them in. Thanks!

Comment

Just ordered lines from Spiegler. Their specs didn't match my lines at all so I am glad that I called. They will be here in three days! Thanks again for the link!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Buehner View Post
                Just ordered lines from Spiegler. Their specs didn't match my lines at all so I am glad that I called. They will be here in three days! Thanks again for the link!
                Sweet! Thats a pretty quick time frame. Do you mind if I ask how much the set cost?
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I bought lines for front and rear and to my door was about $220 I think. I know that the front was $149 for clear silver and silver fittings. I think the rear was $59
                  Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                  Sweet! Thats a pretty quick time frame. Do you mind if I ask how much the set cost?

Comment

I bought lines for front and rear and to my door was about $220 I think. I know that the front was $149 for clear silver and silver fittings. I think the rear was $59
                    Great, thanks.
                    Roger

Current rides
                    1983 GS 850G
                    2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

That's a lot of money for brake lines. I think Rennsport is about 1/2 that much. You can make your own lines from Earl's parts for about 1/2 the cost too.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Too late but maybe others reading this can save some money. The guy on the line was super friendly and helpful and I was tired of looking around

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        That's a lot of money for brake lines. I think Rennsport is about 1/2 that much. You can make your own lines from Earl's parts for about 1/2 the cost too.

Comment

Too late but maybe others reading this can save some money. The guy on the line was super friendly and helpful and I was tired of looking around
                          Well, there's a lot to be said for value in good customer service. What matters most is that you get what you ordered, when it's promised, and it works for you!

Can't wait to see that bike on the road.
                          Roger

Current rides
                          1983 GS 850G
                          2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Peter, did your brake lines arrive?

On Tuesday evening I called Rennsport for a quote on the steel brake lines. Raymond, the sales associate, was super friendly and sent me a paypal invoice within a few minutes for the order. Only $92.80 shipped! Unfortunately for whatever reason, lack of communication I suppose, the rear line was left off so I called back but couldn't reach anybody. I sent an email, and followed up with a phone call the next day. We got it sorted out yesterday and after all four lines were added and paypal took their chunk the final price adding $23 for the rear line and after shipping was $116 and change. I'll be surprised if they make it here by next weekend but it could happen.

Just thought I'd add this for future referance.
                            Roger

Current rides
                            1983 GS 850G
                            2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Mine got here in 2-3 days, super happy with the rennsport products

Comment

Working...
                              X