gsx400/450 1983 ignition/CDI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gsx400/450 1983 ignition/CDI

Hey Im new and Im argentinian. I have a 1983 gsx400 twin cylinder and the doubt I have is if this following ignition system fits on my bike, because from the store couldnt tell me if it would work on my model.

Also, I wanna know if that ignition system is all I need to work, or if I steel need a CDI too, (mine is borken)
    Thanks and hope you can help me!
    Last edited by Guest; 01-15-2017, 10:52 AM.

That dimecity cycle says for late 70's 400 bikes with points setup that used a mechanical advancer. Your 83 likely had no mechanical advancer - timing advance was built into ignitor /cdi box. Does your signal generator setup look like what's in ths link??

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      That dimecity cycle says for late 70's 400 bikes with points setup that used a mechanical advancer. Your 83 likely had no mechanical advancer - timing advance was built into ignitor /cdi box. Does your signal generator setup look like what's in ths link??

http://www.alpha-sports.com/spst/198...=suzuki-partsz
      My '81 does. The gsx400 has a mechanical advance, but you can see easily by looking behind the pickups plate (it's hard to find an online picture of the flyweights! but they are there..)

felipe, I don't have any experience with the Dyna S ignition, but it looks from the pdfs I have that they have something in their pickups to control the spark and don't use the old TCI box.

goto dyna site and see if you can download the installation manual...I found one for the DS3-3C but ...

It says you can't use your old coils, which is too bad! I would be tempted to investigate this a little more but hang in there- someone that has this ignition may show up. And a 1980+ 450 seems to have very very very similar ignition

edit add- I see that someone has "reviewed" it as ok for a 450 on the linked page you sent...

also, I find an alternative ....
      Last edited by Gorminrider; 01-13-2017, 12:32 PM.

Comment

I took a look and ir seems to be a mechanichal advance, too, so i will maybe get the dyna system. It also comes with new coils so i hope i wont have problems with that.
        I have replaced many parts with 450 pieces and they fit well so maybe this isnt the exception
        anyway now im looking in dyna page to make sure.
        Many thanks!
        And if there is more information please let me know. Thanks again

Comment

felipe, here's a good link for Dyna Instruction pdf files...

You could also email any of these people with questions. describe the gsx 400 ignition as best you can with specs from manual...
          ie: from Haynes manual, the spark advance specs are indeed the same for the 250,300,400 and the 450....the Americans DID get "gsx 8valve engines as 250s and 300s...but they got 450cc 4valve engines (with slightly different carburetors) while the rest of the world got 400cc 8 valve gsx engines ... the frames and body parts are the same...excepting a couple of badges on sidecovers? sigh.- in Canada WE started getting "T" 450s after 1983 for a year or sowhile at the same time the 83 "Katana" type models of gsx had longer wheelbase than all previous...etc etc etc- it's very annoying!
          anyways....

stuff like this is helpful,in an email, because sending off $350US dollars is not to be taken lightly!!
          "advance" =10 degrees (for TX =20 degrees) beforeTopDeadCenter below 1650RPM
          =40 degrees BTDC above 3500RPM

ADD
          the thing to watch is if you can use your own coils. The originals seem close to the ones Dyna will sell you (3 0hm primary?)so you might save a $ here.
          Last edited by Gorminrider; 01-15-2017, 12:54 PM.

Comment

81' GS650L Ignition System: CDI or Electronic?

Hello, I'm new here, I recently bought an 81' 650L and I can't find anywhere whether my bike has a CDI system or Electronic Ignition? Would someone be kind enough to shed light on this question as I'm in them motions of restoring the bike, please?

Comment

Originally posted by dylanv5 View Post
              Hello, I'm new here, I recently bought an 81' 650L and I can't find anywhere whether my bike has a CDI system or Electronic Ignition? Would someone be kind enough to shed light on this question as I'm in them motions of restoring the bike, please?
              You gs650 left factory with an "ignitor". - electronic ignition. The shaft 650's had this mounted on plate attached under the airfilter box.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
              X