Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbox questions - '79 GS850

Hi Gurus,

A couple of questions about my airbox, which came in the condition as per the photos below.

Obviously I need a Filter (13780-45010) and an Element (13781-45010), plus perhaps some other bits that I'm unaware of just looking at it. I do have the end covers.

With respect to the fliter - I know there is a metal frame part and the foam filter bit but which is which? From what I can see on Partzilla, the 'Filter' is the metal frame/cage....?

However, I'd probably like to get the K&N air filter (SU-1200) which looks like it replaces both parts. Is that the case?

I've read the posts about sealing the airbox with weatherstrip, so I'll get to that in due course as well. What else am I missing?

Many Thanks,
    Matt

The "element" is the foam part.

K&N's are expensive and don't filter the air all that great. I wouldn't spend more to install one compared to the stock foam element. I think you still need the filter frame anyway.

When you get stuck not knowing what part is what it sometimes helps to go to ebay and/or google and plug in the part number. Check images and such. For example...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-Luftf...MAAOSwFc5Xvz~B
    Last edited by Nessism; 01-14-2017, 10:11 AM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I run K&N filters in my bikes and can confirm that you DO need the frame that is in Nessism's link.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Can I piggyback on an existing topic?
        I'm guessing this is a standard piece, but do I have to go online and find it somewhere, or waltz into a parts store with it in hand?
        And what happens when I ride 1 mile or ten miles or a hundred miles without it?
        20170114_111114.jpg
        "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Originally posted by kerrfunk View Post
          I'm guessing this is a standard piece, but do I have to go online and find it somewhere, or waltz into a parts store with it in hand?
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]49316[/ATTACH]
          Likely to be easier to buy online cmsl has them http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs650gl-.../#.WHqRn8vfWhA
          i am sure you will find one in the USA Z1 enterprises is popular on here. Hers a link for another
          what happens when you ride without the filter you will have running problems (weak mixture) possible overheating and you will be drawing unfiltered air(dust, insects �� Rubbish) into the cylinders which will cause undue wear.
          Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 01-14-2017, 05:29 PM.
          The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
          1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
          past bikes. RF900
          TL1000s
          Hayabusa
          gsx 750f x2
          197cc Francis Barnett
          various British nails

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49316[/ATTACH]
            That's an aftermarket filter. For your 650? Assuming yes, this one seems cheap enough...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uni-NU-2440-...dYP4Jc&vxp=mtr
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
              Likely to be easier to buy online ...
              Thank you. The alphasports pointed me in the right direction (the part number) and I found the part on fleabay. Is it plug and go, or does it need to be oiled?
              what happens when you ride without the filter you will have running problems (weak mixture) possible overheating and you will be drawing unfiltered air(dust, insects �� Rubbish) into the cylinders which will cause undue wear.
              I figured something short-term innocuous like that. And you can see the massive hole in the existing one

Thanks

Comment

I'm hoping you're aware that you need the stock plastic 'cage' that helps the foam keep its' shape, even the factory P/N doesn't include it.
                sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
                '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
                '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
                '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
                '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
                '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
                '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
                '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
                '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
                '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Originally posted by recycled64 View Post
                  I'm hoping you're aware that you need the stock plastic 'cage' that helps the foam keep its' shape, even the factory P/N doesn't include it.
                  Good call. I have not thrown the cage away.

Comment

Thanks folks! Good info, much appreciated.

Matt

Comment

. Is it plug and go, or does it need to be oiled?
                      yes lightly oil it (do not try to ring it out) just get some kitchen roll and press the paper onto the filter to dry the Eccsess oil.
                      1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                      past bikes. RF900
                      TL1000s
                      Hayabusa
                      gsx 750f x2
                      197cc Francis Barnett
                      various British nails

Comment

yes lightly oil it (do not try to ring it out) just get some kitchen roll and press the paper onto the filter to dry the Eccsess oil.
                        Thanks again.

Originally posted by vectordude View Post
                        Thanks folks! Good info, much appreciated.

Matt
                        Good sport. Hope you didn't mind me piggypacking. I figured no sense in two back to back posts on virtually the same topic

Comment

VectorDude I just purchased a second airbox off Ebay so I happen to have an old filter cage/ frame whatever you call it lying around. It is for a 1980 GS850G but it looks very similar to yours so it may fit. I am happy to mail it to you if it is the right one. Just let me know.

Since we are on the topic of airboxes and piggybacking is allowed...on either end of the airbox, under the chrome side covers is a rubber cover/gasket. It is pictured nicely above (but seems to be missing on the other side). How crucial are these to the seal and performance of the carbs? One of mine is chewed up in a corner and the other one I bought is totally missing the left side. I was thinking some sort of gasket material would be enough?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Buehner View Post
                            How crucial are these to the seal and performance of the carbs? One of mine is chewed up in a corner and the other one I bought is totally missing the left side.
                            Yes they are crucial the airbox needs to be sealed correctly or you will experience poor running, overheating and weak mixture.
                            a good way is to use a foam sealing strip that has an adhesive backing on one side there is a tutorial on basscliffes site here
                            1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                            past bikes. RF900
                            TL1000s
                            Hayabusa
                            gsx 750f x2
                            197cc Francis Barnett
                            various British nails

Comment

Perfect Thanks!
                              Yes they are crucial the airbox needs to be sealed correctly or you will experience poor running, overheating and weak mixture.
                              a good way is to use a foam sealing strip that has an adhesive backing on one side there is a tutorial on basscliffes site here

Comment

Working...
                              X