Need expert answer re: 80 GS850G wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need expert answer re: 80 GS850G wheels

I just went to the local motorcycle dealer to have my tire mounted on my rim. When I returned, a guy there said, just so you know, that is not a tubeless wheel. If it was, it would say so. I insisted that I had taken a tubeless tire off of the wheel and I was quite certain that the literature on the bike said tubeless too. Can someone confirm that the wheels I have are from a 1980 and are also tubeless despite not saying so on the wheel? This guy told me that if I lost air pressure, the tires would simply roll off the wheel in the current setup. Yikes.
    Photo Jan 20, 3 10 30 PM.jpg
    when I pushed back a bit, he said that he was operating from memory of selling them new at the time.
    Thanks for any help.
    Peter

Photo Jan 20, 3 10 16 PM.jpg
    a couple of closeups of the wheel.

Comment

Photo Jan 20, 3 10 24 PM.jpg
      One last view of some of the print

Comment

The rim will have raised lettering denoting "tubeless tire applicable" or something to this effect if it were originally tubeless. Suzuki was mixed between tube and tubeless at that time; some bikes even came with one tubeless wheel and one tube type. Regardless of such denotations, I'm pretty sure your bike came with tubes originally. If you look at the parts fishe and it will show tubes inside the tires.

Realize that there were wheels of that era, some of the early tubeless version of the Suzuki star pattern wheels for example and some Kawasaki wheels as well, that WERE denoted tubeless however they did not have the rim humps that some consider synonymous with tubeless wheels. Your tire guy was judging the wheel based on that but he probably doesn't realize that some OEM's made tubeless wheels that didn't have that feature.

Many guys here on the GSR have converted tube type wheels to tubeless by enlarging the valve stem hole. These wheels then are equivalent to the early tubeless wheels being sold by the OEM's. The safety humps do provide an extra margin of safety, but they aren't mandatory. And said wheels are no more "unsafe" than a regular tube type wheel.
        Last edited by Nessism; 01-20-2017, 07:25 PM.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks Nessism. I just went back to my service manual and realized that when I read tubeless is was for a different model...the danger of searching a manual online I guess. So are you saying that I don't need to put a tube on that tire? If I don't I would love to save spending another $30 on getting it redone plus a tube.

Comment

I'm no expert but I thought only the spoked wheels needed tubes.

So Peter, you've already mounted the tires and they're holding air fine? Soapy water at the valve and no bubbles?
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I'm wondering if I have tubes in my tires. Gonna find out soon enough...I need to replace both.

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I just had my front tire mounted this afternoon. My bike is torn apart so it is simply sitting in the living room. When I bought the tire, I also bought new valves...how I picked them I cannot recall. They have rubber bushings inside and out. It seems to be holding air fine now but like I said, it is sitting next to me on the couch : D

Comment

Hmmm, you're getting awfully cozy with that wheel.

Why not take it with you into the bath, if it makes more bubbles than you then you'll know for sure. Haha
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A
                  Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

You probably thought I was kidding. Here is my dining room. Good thing I am singe I guess
                    Photo Jan 20, 8 41 49 PM.jpg

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                    Hmmm, you're getting awfully cozy with that wheel.

Why not take it with you into the bath, if it makes more bubbles than you then you'll know for sure. Haha

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Buehner View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]49408[/ATTACH]
                      One last view of some of the print
                      You are good to go. The rim designation is 19 x MT1.85. The 'MT' denotes the correct bead seat profile for running tubeless tires, even if the rim doesn't have a 'Tubeless" designation on it anywhere. FWIW, there are lots of guys running tubeless here on the cast wheels that aren't actually labeled for it and very few have had any problems with it.

Mark
                      1982 GS1100E
                      1998 ZX-6R
                      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Buehner View Post
                        You probably thought I was kidding. Here is my dining room. Good thing I am singe I guess
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]49410[/ATTACH]
                        The pot plants a nice touch though👌
                        The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                        past bikes. RF900
                        TL1000s
                        Hayabusa
                        gsx 750f x2
                        197cc Francis Barnett
                        various British nails

Comment

I didn't have a potted plant when I was in Alamogordo, NM.

Ed
                          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

'Thanks Mark! Just what I wanted to hear.
                            Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                            You are good to go. The rim designation is 19 x MT1.85. The 'MT' denotes the correct bead seat profile for running tubeless tires, even if the rim doesn't have a 'Tubeless" designation on it anywhere. FWIW, there are lots of guys running tubeless here on the cast wheels that aren't actually labeled for it and very few have had any problems with it.

Mark

Comment

I don't believe I've ever heard of a "tire peeling off the wheel" problem with a cast GS wheel properly converted to tubeless. Methinks it's an old biker's tale, or perhaps some disco-era rider tried to mount up a tube-type tire without a tube and only briefly succeeded.

Also, I have hanging on my wall a front wheel from a 1982 GS1100G, marked "Tubeless Tire Applicable", and there are no "retaining ridges" next to the bead area (although it's true that many or most tubeless wheels have these). Tubeless tires are designed to fit much tighter than tube type tires.

Of course, you have to do the conversion properly or you might get a leak around the valve stem.
                              Last edited by bwringer; 01-22-2017, 01:17 AM.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                              X