77 Gs550 cafe racer build (first bike)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77 Gs550 cafe racer build (first bike)

So this is my first bike... I have a fair amount of experience in maintenance and fabrication on cars so hey why not try a bike right?! Anyways this bike was given to me for free but a friend because the wiring was burned up and he dident want to deal with it. Right place right time here I am with a winter project. It has been layed down on both side so had some road rash and tank dents, carbs stuck but from what I could guess it was all there. I figured body work on the tank and a full rebuild of a wiring harness called for a full build on the whole bike, seeing as it's sat outside unused for the last 10 years lol. So where I'm at with it now is body work on the tanks done and a couple thin coats of primer, tore the bike down to the frame, sanded and painted frame as well as bead blasting and painted the swing arm, fork tubes, motor mounts, triple trees, etc. shaved the risers off the trees and installed clip on bars, grips, found a retro looking headlight with a rock guard. New clutch and brake levers for a cleaner look and already have switches installed in them. I got a cafe style seat that I'm working on figment as well as the frame hoop to close up the frame. Working on the electronics tray under seat. Then on to building a harness hopefully this weekend. Pics to follow.
    Attached Files

IMG_0244.jpgHow it started
    Last edited by Guest; 01-25-2017, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Stripped down and frame de-tabbed

IMG_0254.jpg Stripped down and frame de-tabbed.

Comment

Good luck with your build. I'm finishing up a racer project on a '78 GS750. There's not much love around here for any thread that has "cafe racer" in it. But it is a great resource to get info and ask questions. I'll be following along.

Comment

Working...
        X