Just bought My First Motorcycle 1981 GS550L Could use Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey you got pictures down, awesome. Next up: choosing medium sized pictures
    Good luck with the rest of your rebuild. You're way ahead of me!
    "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

I'm getting my Wiring harness in tomorrow I Cannot wait! Ill be posting some stuff when I install that, Cant wait to see this things dash light up!

Comment

Hey Guys Got the Wiring Harness in! And now my ignition Switch is working no problem like it should be. I think the fella below that said that it was the fuse panel was 100% right because before I put this harness on it was lighting up so regardless, I know its not all chopped from the previous owner.

Now I have a new problem guys, I will post a video of it here in a few hours but I put gas to the cleaned carburetor that I just finished and it is leaking out somewhere I need to take a closer look but it seems like the two on the left are wet as can be and the two on the right are completely dry. If anybody has any suggestions on what could be the problem to see where I can start first. this was happening before, thats the original reason i took the carb off in the first place and I broke one of the alum. Posts but I thought all the needles werent stuck so I'm not sure where to look next.
        Last edited by Guest; 02-04-2017, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Probably going to need new o-rings.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks for the advice steve you were right, I switched out the O-Rings on the Vent Tees and it sealed up. I buttoned up the Coil relay the PO added and took some of the connectors off my old harness and put the correct connectors on the coils and I Fired it up for the First time tonight and took it for a quick ride up and down the streets, Such a relief I am always worried doing stuff like that about doing more harm and causing more problems but all worked out. But when I shut it off the after I got back to the garage I think I flooded it because I had some gas coming out of the carbs overflow a bit and it wouldnt fire...

Definitely need to Adjust Carbs for sure, I think I am good so far though with the new harness I put in, seems like it took care of my ignition problem that was the biggest thing on my list and the coils are now giving spark to the plugs normally!

One Thing is The harness I bought Came off of 1981 Gs550 T Not an L correct me if I'm wrong guys but those harness's On those bikes didnt come with a fuel Gauge? beause the one I got does not have those yellow and Black wires for the fuel gauge so I'm going to take those off the other harness and run them to the gauge so I know when I'm getting empty.

Overall Extremely Happy with what happened Extremely excited for my First bike, things seem to be falling in place!

Comment

No, the T did not come with a fuel gauge
              sigpic
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hey, Thanks Cowboy. I was wondering why Those wires were missing and I came to that realization it might have not had a fuel gauge at all.

I'd like to say Thanks about the other day and sorry aswell. I took it the wrong way and didn't think you were looking out for my safety but I thought you were just saying you're worthless, not is your life not worth anything to you. Regardless you are just here trying to help and same for me.

Comment

You're welcome.
                  sigpic
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Got It Running Again Guys!

Thanks for the advice steve you were right, I switched out the O-Rings on the Vent Tees and it sealed up. I buttoned up the Coil relay the PO added and took some of the connectors off my old harness and put the correct connectors on the coils and I Fired it up for the First time tonight and took it for a quick ride up and down the streets, Such a relief I am always worried doing stuff like that about doing more harm and causing more problems but all worked out. But when I shut it off the after I got back to the garage I think I flooded it because I had some gas coming out of the carbs overflow a bit and it wouldnt fire...

Definitely need to Adjust Carbs for sure, I think I am good so far though with the new harness I put in, seems like it took care of my ignition problem that was the biggest thing on my list and the coils are now giving spark to the plugs normally!

One Thing is The harness I bought Came off of 1981 Gs550 T Not an L correct me if I'm wrong guys but those harness's On those bikes didnt come with a fuel Gauge? beause the one I got does not have those yellow and Black wires for the fuel gauge so I'm going to take those off the other harness and run them to the gauge so I know when I'm getting empty.

Overall Extremely Happy with what happened Extremely excited for my First bike, things seem to be falling in place!

Comment

It is always great when you finally get to hear it run for the first time.
                      Overflow tube leak could mean improper float height, stuck float or possibly malfunctioning petcock.
                      Just be sure your engine oil does not get contaminated with gas.
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

weird problem guys was trying to just adjust idle for the time being to get it to be able to ride back and fourth to my house and back to the garage and Since I added that carb body onto the one that was with the bike when i bought it I had to switch the idle screw adjuster onto the carbs that came with the bike and it was a little different style but it worked..

I go to lower the idle on the bike the other day and it didnt really lower it but started making it go higher for a second then I went the other way and it got even more something around 4k rpms

so i said screw it and drove it to my house with the high idle I made it and pressure washed the bike but another thing i noticed is when i had the clutch in the rpms were even higher than before I think i might just take this to a garage and get it dialed in.... I dont want to throw in the towel and id like to adjust myself if anybody has any tips that would help me not send it to the garage Id greatly appriciate it

One other thing is that day i also turned it on and it went to like almost 7k rpms out of nowhere had to hit killswitch and shut it off right away idk why she is acting up a bit to be expected with how good things have went so far

Comment

A rev increase when you engage the clutch can be the clutch dragging a bit.
                          Clutch cable adjustment might take care of it.
                          The high idle and instant rev scream might be something like throttle cable routing or improper cable to carb attachment.
                          This old thread sounds similar to your problem.
                          This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks a bunch steve I appricate it great help.

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                            A rev increase when you engage the clutch can be the clutch dragging a bit.
                            Clutch cable adjustment might take care of it.
                            The high idle and instant rev scream might be something like throttle cable routing or improper cable to carb attachment.
                            This old thread sounds similar to your problem.
                            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...p/t-85388.html

Comment

Could use a little advice, I Jumped my bike the other day with a running car. I now see that could be a no no because of the larger amps the car batteries put out. It was fine before I put it away and took it off the car it never started but the starter was turning no problem before i put it away for the night. The next day I came to do a little more work and I noticed a few fuses were blown and the starter was not turning over when i would hit the kill switch the nuetral light would get brighter and when i turned it off the light would dim like the starter was draining some power? but I do not think the starter went because it was fine up until I came back the next day mind you, it never stopped trying to turn over the whole 5 minutes I had the car jumped onto the bike.
                              Could it be the R/R I just put a new used wiring harness on and it seems like all the brake lights head lights horn all that is still working the only thing i noticed not working now is the turn signals any advice would greatly help me i have yet to get a multimeter out but when I do I will get back on here with the numbers i find Thanks in advanced

Comment

Working...
                              X