Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace 1979 GS850 handlebar switches with set with choker

Hi All

I am in the process of stripping and rebuilding my trusty old 1979 GS850 GN. I have been spending my evenings cleaning, fixing and testing the components that I have removed from the bike. The right handlebar switch was salvageable, and is in OK working condition now, but the left on didn't make it.
    I am based in Denmark and 1979 850 switches are few and far between, so I am extending my search to also cover other GS switches. I would like to keep as much as the old bike as possible, so I would prefer to just replace the right switch (Hi/Low beam, pass, horn and indicators). In doing this switch, I am considering moving the choke lever to the left handlebar as well.

Does anyone know which handlebar switches from other bikes I can swap with? I do not mind doing a bit of soldering, so the connectors do not need to match 100%, but I have read that there are two types of indicator signals, and that they are changing right about 1980.

Have anyone else done the "move choker lever to handlebar" conversion? I am mostly concerned about the amount of cable pull not matching the cable pull from the old "below the ignition"

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Best regards

Michael

Did your original switch have headlight on/off, hi/low,turn signals l/r, plus horn? Sorta like this ebay item?

lots of this style on ebay... Just search for "suzuki gs left switch"....some have different plugs, but if you can solder..no problem! But beware,cuz these switches get beat up and might not be 100%

Later models had the choke lever here to (plus they lost headlight on/off in usa)I'd avoid this style because you would have to play around with choke cable lengths.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The 850 and 1000 shared a lot of similarities as far as I can remember. They used the same turn signal setup in the late 70's, so the switches are probably the same. I have converted a '79 carburetor set, back to the '78 side lever choke style that I like better. The bracket and idle knob is different as far as I can remember, but my memory may not serve very well. I may be able to find it if you need some pictures. The '79 GS1000 frame I have has the choke in the center of the handlebars, and the '79 GS850 is long gone so I have no direct comparison. I do not remember any handlebar choke levers next to the switches.
      Last edited by OldVet66; 02-05-2017, 06:29 PM.
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I see a couple of problems with that setup.

1. The turn signal switch for the '79 850 is not the same as any other that would have come with the "choke" control in the housing.

2. The "choke" control that came in the housing started in '82, and was with the CV-type carbs. It would take a bit of engineering to adapt that cable (specific to the '82 and newer bikes) to your VM carbs.

I have converted my bike to have the "choke" control on the switch housing, but I have an '80 bike with the CV-type carbs, so it was a simple matter of switching the linkage on the carbs. My bike already has the newer-style turn signals (started with the '80 models), so that type of switch was no problem at all. I think it would take a LOT of work to adapt a new switch to your bike.

Now, ... that being said, ... you might be able to just add the "choke" control to your present housing. I have added one to an earlier switch housing with modest success. You have to open the housing to make sure you have room to put a nut inside. The '82 "choke" control has a rectangular recess that needs to fit over a similar nub on the bottom of the housing. It is possible to glue a piece of plastic to the housing that will do the job. Then drill a hole into the housing, use a bolt slightly longer than the stock bolt for the '82 control, install a self-locking nut (a nylon insert works well) on the inside of the housing to hold the control in place. Doing it that way, you will only have to worry about how to anchor the other end of the cable to your VM carbs. Fortunately, the cable should be plenty long to play with.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Dear all,

Thank you for your input. I see doing this mod will not be as straight forward as I hoped

Another option I am considering is dropping the choker cable all together, and mounting a handle directly on the choker shaft on the carburetor. The current choker shaft is badly corroded and stuck in the loops on the carburetor rack, so I need to replace the shaft anyway.

Would it be an option to mount a small lever on the shaft and adjust the choke directly. Not as easily accessible when riding, but it would definitely clean up the cockpit a bit. I believe I have seen something like that on Mikuni Carbs similar to mine, but I cant find a kit for it. If it is doable, I think I can manage a bespoke rod that will do the job.

Best regards,

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by DKGS850 View Post
            Would it be an option to mount a small lever on the shaft and adjust the choke directly. Not as easily accessible when riding, but it would definitely clean up the cockpit a bit.
            Should not be much of a problem, as there is precisely ONE time that you might need to access the lever "while riding".

When properly tuned, the "choke" will only be on for about half a minute, or about the time it takes to put on your jacket, helmet and gloves. Just to be sure, you can still take off while still on partial "choke", then about the time you are in third gear, turn it OFF. You will not need it again until the engine is cold again.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think the Kawasakis using the same carbs had the choke lever standard on the side of the carbs. Not 100% sure. My cable is sticking badly. I have it pulled in the out position when parked.

Comment

Originally posted by DKGS850 View Post
                Dear all,

Thank you for your input. I see doing this mod will not be as straight forward as I hoped

Another option I am considering is dropping the choker cable all together, and mounting a handle directly on the choker shaft on the carburetor. The current choker shaft is badly corroded and stuck in the loops on the carburetor rack, so I need to replace the shaft anyway.

Would it be an option to mount a small lever on the shaft and adjust the choke directly. Not as easily accessible when riding, but it would definitely clean up the cockpit a bit. I believe I have seen something like that on Mikuni Carbs similar to mine, but I cant find a kit for it. If it is doable, I think I can manage a bespoke rod that will do the job.

Best regards,

Michael
                My 78 gs750 has a lever mounted directly to the end of the rod the choke plungers are mounted to.

Comment

Hi Efordman,

That sounds exactly like the solution I am going for. Do you know if it is kit-conversion, or something home-made?

If you have any pictures, it would be great for inspiration.

BR Michael

Comment

Working...
                  X