Solenoid Wont Click

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solenoid Wont Click

Just bought a beautiful '79 GS 550L a few weeks ago and now she doesn't want to start for me. Here's what's going on:

-Green light turns on
    -Front Blinker/
    High-beams flash
    -Not able to kick start
    -Starter Button Not clicking anymore
    -Solenoid (Screwdriver) Bypass won't turn engine over
    -Bought a new Starter Relay= Zero effect

Basic Wiring Setup:

FullSizeRender.jpg

Improper wiring? Corroded Switch? Wire shortage? Should I connect the tail lights? Please HELP!

Not an expert so feel free to inform my sorry ass

Yes... Kill switch is on "Run", Fuel is "On", transmissions in neutral, "Wumbo" activated.

Take off the starter motor cover and give the end of the motor a few decent taps with a hammer to see if its stuck.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

If shorting across the solenoid terminals does not spin the starter, the problem is NOT the solenoid. Pushing the button should still make it click, though.

- As Chuck mentioned, tap the starter to make sure it's not stuck.
      - Check the two mounting bolts for the starter to make sure the starter is grounded.
      - Check the battery voltage. Then put one of the leads on the starter terminal while you short across the solenoid to make sure you are getting something close to battery voltage there.
      - If you get battery votage at the starter terminal, check to see if you also get it on the starter housing. If you do, you have a bad ground.
      - If you have battery voltage at the starter terminal but not on the housing, you might have bad brushes.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Check to be sure the yellow trigger wire ( wire on top of the selinoid itself) is connected to the harness too.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Check to see if there is sludge carbon build up on the brushes and stator on the stator motor. A quick disassembly and clean up may do the trick.

Comment

What do you mean by "not able to kick start" ? Is the motor locked up?
            Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Kick starting works, just doesn't turn over the motor even when the choke is pulled/ throttle turned slightly/ pulling in clutch or brake (not that it matters)

Thanks for the help! I'll be sure to get back with you on how these suggestions turn out.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzyGS550 View Post
                Kick starting works, just doesn't turn over the motor even when the choke is pulled/ throttle turned slightly/ pulling in clutch or brake (not that it matters)

Thanks for the help! I'll be sure to get back with you on how these suggestions turn out.

Please clarify - do you mean the motor turns over but doesn't start, or do you mean the motor doesn't turn over?

Same with the solenoid screwdriver bypass - does the motor turn over or not?
                Current:
                Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Do as Steve indicated and measure the battery voltage with the ignition off and then with it on and report back.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                    Please clarify - do you mean the motor turns over but doesn't start, or do you mean the motor doesn't turn over?

Same with the solenoid screwdriver bypass - does the motor turn over or not?
                    Apologies. It is turning over, however it is not starting

Comment

Sorry for the delay......studying architecture leaves me with little free time occasionally.

After giving her more attention, here's what I found:

(1) Took the stator cover off and found that the starter motor looks fine (no sludge carbon build up on brushes either). When I connect the battery "+" on its connector and the battery "-" to ground, the starter came alive by itself. When connected to the gears leading to the flywheel she spun slowly and intermittently... Is this because the cover is off? (away from stator) Not sure that is the reason.
                      Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AQ0WgWGHJ0

(2) Cleaned the Control switch and Start Button contacts with steel wool and made sure there's contact. Solenoid still won't click. I'm assuming the engine start leading from is bad.

(3) Installed new fuses where shorts occurred.

(4) Starter is grounded through both mounting bolts

(5) Battery Voltage w/ ignition on has a 0.2 decrease. 12.6 to 12.4.

(6) kick starting with stand up.

(7) Checked wire continuity along the Starter Button wire. Zero exposure and healthy contacts.

(8) Connected the tail lights.

(9) Yellow trigger wire is connected to harness.

BONUS Question:

While taking off the stator cover I found that one of the wires leading to the rectifier had been chewed up by a gear. My battery drains easily and I'm almost certain this is occurring. Should I buy a new stator or will some electric tape do the job?
                      16996459_10206443374962957_4900542464036869986_n.jpg

Comment

Working...
                      X