Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PROBLEM: New GS1000 standard rings - too big?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PROBLEM: New GS1000 standard rings - too big?

I'm rebuilding my 79 GS1000L and split the case after filling the crankcase with sand after pulling the head and cylinders (grrrrr). The motor has 26K miles and didn't really need rings as it still had decent compression good leakdown numbers, but I figured if I was splitting the cases that I would do it only once and do all new crank and case seals, rings, valve stem seals, lap the valves, paint it and put it back together.

I verified the bore is still at ~70mm, so I had the cyls honed and ordered a standard ring set for the stock bore (no oversize) - Suzuki P/N 12140-44110 from PartZilla http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...140-44110.html.

Received the rings and verified they were all the correct P/N.

In test fitting the first set of rings opened, I quickly realized we have a problem. Fitting the rings into bore left (as close as I could measure with my micrometer) an approximate 2.5 mm overlap at the ring end gap!

Doing some quick math, as near as I can tell these are at least .5mm if not 1.0mm OS rings: 70mm bore= 219.91mm circumference / 70.5mm = 221.48mm / 71mm = 223.05

Here's the old ring vs. new:

NEW_RINGS3.jpg

Am I crazy or is that the right PN and I got sent the wrong rings in a factory package? Did I order the wrong rings?

They can't expect you to grind off ~2.5mm to get the correct end gap, can they?

Any ideas?

Walt

Never seen that before with factory rings. Looks like a factory defect. Are all the rings in the set the same? If so then they may have been mispacked.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yeah, something funky going on there. The new stock sized rings I put in my 1000G (original bores) were perfectly gapped right out of the package.

If you do grind 2.5mm off, will they put too much pressure on the wall and wear too fast, or just break?

I wonder what Partzilla will have to say.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by wottenad View Post
        I'm rebuilding my 79 GS1000L and split the case after filling the crankcase with sand after pulling the head and cylinders (grrrrr). The motor has 26K miles and didn't really need rings as it still had decent compression good leakdown numbers, but I figured if I was splitting the cases that I would do it only once and do all new crank and case seals, rings, valve stem seals, lap the valves, paint it and put it back together.

I verified the bore is still at ~70mm, so I had the cyls honed and ordered a standard ring set for the stock bore (no oversize) - Suzuki P/N 12140-44110 from PartZilla http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...140-44110.html.

Received the rings and verified they were all the correct P/N.

In test fitting the first set of rings opened, I quickly realized we have a problem. Fitting the rings into bore left (as close as I could measure with my micrometer) an approximate 2.5 mm overlap at the ring end gap!

Doing some quick math, as near as I can tell these are at least .5mm if not 1.0mm OS rings: 70mm bore= 219.91mm circumference / 70.5mm = 221.48mm / 71mm = 223.05

Here's the old ring vs. new:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49750[/ATTACH]

Am I crazy or is that the right PN and I got sent the wrong rings in a factory package? Did I order the wrong rings?

They can't expect you to grind off ~2.5mm to get the correct end gap, can they?

Any ideas?

Walt
        They are definitely over sized. I punched in the part number on partsoutlaw.com and it shows this as a set for the GS450.

It shows part number 12140-49001 for the '79 GS1000L.
        Shop online for OEM Crankshaft parts that fit your 1979 Suzuki GS1000L, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452
        GSRick
        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Rick is right. Just checked the part numbers.

The GS450 use a 71mm bore. No wonder.

Partzilla has bad information. They list two different ring part numbers as "STD". Those rings would be 1.0mm OS for the GS1000.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
            They are definitely over sized. I punched in the part number on partsoutlaw.com and it shows this as a set for the GS450.

It shows part number 12140-49001 for the '79 GS1000L.
            http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/...917/crankshaft
            I found that same P/N but it has been superseded by the P/N I ordered. I didn't call to verify before the order, but the 79 GS1000 is in the list of good apps.

Will follow up tomorrow and post the response from Partzilla.

Comment

I found that same P/N but it has been superseded by the P/N I ordered. I didn't call to verify before the order, but the 79 GS1000 is in the list of good apps.

I don't know how the price compares, but if you go through partsoutlaw.com and use the promo code BANG, shipping is free or as small a $1.00.
              GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Tried the "BANG" code at parts outlaw and it said that it expired on 1-10-2017. Anyone get another one????
                Ron
                When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
                  Tried the "BANG" code at parts outlaw and it said that it expired on 1-10-2017. Anyone get another one????
                  They are based at a local dealership, Deland Motorsports. I'll try to see if they will renew it for GSR members.
                  GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                    They are based at a local dealership, Deland Motorsports. I'll try to see if they will renew it for GSR members.
                    I'll ask as well. The more members that ask for the restoration of the BANG promo the better chance we can get it.

Edit: Just sent a polite message requesting it be returned as a service to loyal members here. We'll see what happens.
                    Last edited by JTGS850GL; 02-07-2017, 11:27 AM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Just received a reply from Parts Outlaw and they have reinstated the BANG Promo Code. Have at it.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

So I may be in the exact same boat. I just ordered new rings for my 1000 from mrcycles and ordered the same part number as the op because when you select it it says STD for the size. Mine haven't come in yet but I am foreseeing a return.

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                          I'll ask as well. The more members that ask for the restoration of the BANG promo the better chance we can get it.

Edit: Just sent a polite message requesting it be returned as a service to loyal members here. We'll see what happens.
                          Good job, I didn't get the chance to call them today.
                          GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

I received an email back from Partzilla verifying that the P/N was correct (!) and that they were going to review the photos I sent, send a return tag and send the correct rings, but they didn't supply a new P/N for them.

I sent a reply asking if the parts were packaged incorrectly (and that I'm now really confused), but no response yet.

Will repost when they respond...

Comment

Originally posted by howardshane2 View Post
                              So I may be in the exact same boat. I just ordered new rings for my 1000 from mrcycles and ordered the same part number as the op because when you select it it says STD for the size. Mine haven't come in yet but I am foreseeing a return.
                              You may want to send an email to those guys referencing this thread so they know there may be a return coming, but maybe more importantly, if they know if that P/N is "known good".

It seems that this would be a pretty big "oops" if the same P/N is available on every Suzuki parts website and they're all 1.0mm OS instead of standard!

Comment

Working...
                              X