Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starter issues: pinpoint issue or full rebuild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter issues: pinpoint issue or full rebuild?

So quick question: I've got issues with my starter (and kickstarter) on my 79 GS750L. Last summer I would try to start it but it would try to start but not get anywhere. No big deal, I'll just kick start it. After a while of riding I'll come home, and I figure I might as well check to see if it'll start when I push the start button, and I get nothing, not even a click. I did get a new battery, and tried starting with it fully charged and still got nothing.

Now, I spent so much time kick starting it I stripped the kick lever and will need to replace it (maybe even the kickstarter shaft, though I hope not). So at this point I can't start the bike in any way. I was planning on fixing the starter but in my research I found that a new solenoid would only cost $15, and a rebuild kit for the starter motor would be also $15. So I'm think why not do both (replace and rebuild)? I don't know how long the solenoid would last and how long the starter motor would last either. It seems like I should just do them now for the peace of mind for the next few years

Should I find out what the true issue is or just go all out?

"Should I find out what the true issue is or just go all out?"

it would have been nice if you had determined why the electric starter failed before, but..... Your solenoid is likely ok.your connections need attention,and a rebuild starter kit might save your motor, IF it ain't fried. Did the starter ever work for you?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Agreed. If it suddenly went dead one day and never worked again I would guess bad connection somewhere grab the wiring diagram off BassCliff's site and try to track it down.

Does the solenoid click when you hit the starter button? If so then could be your starter motor but in my experience the starter motor will work intermittently as it is dying (i.e as the brushes are getting too worn).
      1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
      1977 GS550
      1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

also, how many times are you having to kick it? a properly sorted gs should start first kick everytime, even dead cold. sounds like multiple issues going on, consistent with neglected maintenance.
        1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Yeah, I should have mentioned it has worked in years past, just not when the bike is cold. It's always been difficult to start on a cold day. Of course at some point it just didn't start via the electric starter and I figured the battery needed to be replaced anyway so I did that, but it didn't solve that problem.

Comment

My GS certainly has issues that I'm trying to resolve. I have no info on previous owners, but it's condition says it wasn't treated too well.

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
              Does the solenoid click when you hit the starter button? If so then could be your starter motor but in my experience the starter motor will work intermittently as it is dying (i.e as the brushes are getting too worn).
              I'll have to hook the battery up and check, but if I remember from last summer it was mixed results. Sometimes it'll click and others it won't

Comment

trace the wires, check all the connections, clean/replace bad ones....have you seen the top ten newbie mistake thread? lots of good info there....
                1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Short the two posts of the solenoid together and see if the starter motor spins (this bypasses the solendoid). Make sure the bike is in neutral....

If that works then you know the starter motor is OK.
                  Current:
                  Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                  VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                  And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Also I would point out, to change the shaft the engine has to come out and split the crank case .
                    My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                      Short the two posts of the solenoid together and see if the starter motor spins (this bypasses the solendoid). Make sure the bike is in neutral....

If that works then you know the starter motor is OK.
                      You know, I think I'll give that a shot. I'd like to avoid tearing too much apart, so hopefully it's just the solenoid.

Comment

Originally posted by uk gs nut View Post
                        Also I would point out, to change the shaft the engine has to come out and split the crank case .
                        Well, lets hope I don't need to do that now because a bit beyond my skill level, with too little work space and equipment. I'd just end up paying somebody else to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                          trace the wires, check all the connections, clean/replace bad ones....have you seen the top ten newbie mistake thread? lots of good info there....
                          I've read it before, I should read it more often. Also, I'll definitely spend more time on the electronics. Mine seem like they'll need the work.

Comment

Working...
                          X