Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2001 katana front end on 82 GS650?

Hi folks,

Unfortunately I was in a collision recently and my bike ('82 GS650) is in need of a new front end. I kind of have a cafe type thing going on with it already. I've lowered the front, have clip on's on it and some other mods. I know that's not the most popular style around this form, but anyway.

I have located a front end from a 2001 katana and was wondering if anyone has any experience swapping out front ends like this and can give me some tips/advice?

I know its going to lower the front of the bike. As long as it's not too extreme I'm okay with it, as I had already dropped the front end a few inches before the collision.

Thanks all! Look forward to the comments!

So you are going to take entire front of katana, dual brakes,etc? Triple tree? Do you have the opportunity to measure the katana parts for comparison to your damaged forks?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I did on my 1000g great stuff, same axel diameter and what not but the 4 pot calipers wont work
      I build Pipers

Comment

katana wheels and front end on '79 gs1000

I just picked up a '97 katana with black cast wheels to swap in place of the gaudy purple wheels on my '95 Katana. but then I was thinking maybe put the '97 Kat front end with my purple Katana wheel on my '79 gs1000 (just for ****s and giggles, my gs1000 already has nice cast wheels and dual disc front). Can anyone comment is this an easy swap of the complete front end up through handlebars (will they clear and fit comfortable with my stock '79 fuel tank). And then assuming the purple wheels are OK on a Black bike (maybe, hehe), what do I do to mount the katana rear wheel on my GS1000? I'll follow this thread and maybe post my own and hopefully we can work together to fulush out the issues..
        1979 gs1000e (everyday) 1977 gs750 for sale
        1983 yam xj550 maxim streetbob sold
        1995 gsx750F everyday fighterjet 1990 gsx1100F for sale
        2000kaw zx600
        2003 BMW K1200GT sport tour
        2000Buel Cyclone M2 motorwork
        1984 Yam venture xvz1200 -long ride/cold ride ride gf ride..
        1978 Honda cb750F3 supersport top end (still)
        1976 Harley FL 3/8" S&S stroker - motor out way too long
        1980 Harley fxs80 - wacked good on this one

Comment

I just picked up the front end from the katana. Forks, wheel, brakes, triple clamp, everything.

So far I took the top bearing off the GS stem and put it on the katana stem, and it seems to fit in there just fine. the stem is about the same length. I cant seem to loose the lower bearing from the GS stem though. The GS has like cone type bearing and the katana is ball bearings. If I could use the upper and lower GS bearings on the katana stem that would be ideal, but I'm not sure how to remove the lower bearing without breaking anything.

However it seems to work okay with the katana lower and GS upper. One think I noticed already and sort of figured would happen, is the stops are going to need to be adjusted otherwise the forks are going to hit the tank. Either that or maybe I'll take a hammer to the tank and do some from end indentions. Not sure I want to do that or not yet though.

Will update as I go. Any tips on loosing that lowering bearing from the GS stem would be appreciated.

Comment

Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Look on my build thread "mild cafe" i have my 97 kat front swapped on, i had the gs 19 on and the gs speedo drive but i did not want to make custom brackets to run the less than adequate gs calipers. I ended up running the kat wheel with the 4 pot calipers. You will need to make steering stops as the bars will tap the tank. As for bearings theyre the same pn. I literally dropped the kat front in as if it were factory. With proper spring rates these 41mm forks were very desirable for me because i prefer conventional style forks over usd or up side down on a classic bike. Good luck, don't over think it
              I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by ajkammerer93 View Post
                Hi folks,

Unfortunately I was in a collision recently and my bike ('82 GS650) is in need of a new front end. I kind of have a cafe type thing going on.....tips/advice?
                so your bike tried to commit suicide before it became a full on cafe racer....... I love it.

Glad you are OK... but had to make the joke.

Comment

hillsy, That's what I was trying, but I stopped short of actually getting the thing off because I was worried about breaking it. But I'll push it a little further. Thanks for the graphic!

Thanks brandon! Can you drop a link to your thread? And yeah, it looks like the steering stops are going to the most complicated part of this swap.. Which is great. lol

Blue falcon.. lol I was waiting for the cafe hate to start coming out.. lol. It's not really full on cafe, it's kinda more of a rat bike, but yeah. I guess it's getting closer to that. Thanks.

Comment

This is not the best pic to show the bike.. but so you get an idea of what it looked like fore the accident.
                    IMG_0697.jpg

Comment

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

I didn't get too detailed, but i can tell you youre either going to run the 17 with cat brakes or making brackets for the gs brakes and run the factory wheel.. rearsets would top off this swap very nicely
                      I build Pipers

Comment

Thanks Brandon. Plan right now is to run the kat wheel and brakes. Was thinking about swapping rearsets.. Recommendations?

Comment

Theres ones made for our bikes dont remember the name, but i do remember theyre expensive af. Im going to run first gen r1 rear sets cause theyre about 75ish on ebay and the brake master is mounted on them instead of the frame so it simplified the systems
                          I build Pipers

Comment

Are you shaft drive perchance?
                            I build Pipers

Comment

I am yeah. 82 GS650L shaftie. So I'm actually super interested in your rear wheel swap. I haven't though too much about that yet. I really want to run the 17" kat wheel, but I do agree it will look kind of funny with the stock rear wheel. Plus it would be really nice to have matching wheels..

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
                              Are you shaft drive perchance?

Comment

Working...
                              X