Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orientation and routing of front cables (GS 850GT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orientation and routing of front cables (GS 850GT)

So another lesson learned as I stumble through this restoration project:

-Even if it seems so simple when you are removing it, always document how something was put together.....

Can someone please tell me the proper routing and orientation of the front brake cables? Or maybe point me to a detailed tutorial? I checked bikecliff but no luck. I have three replacement cables and each has a straight connector on one end and then a 15 degree bent connector at the other end. I know that is how my original cable were too but I don't know where each end goes. Also, a photo or description of the actual routing would be a huge help too. Sorry for this blunder...sadly I am confident that it won't be the last

Thanks for any help.
    Peter

two, if not all 3, of the straight ends go to the splitter under the triple tree. The rest is just looking at which length works best.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks azr! So on the splitter, there is a single side and a double banjo side. Does it matter where each line goes into that splitter? Obviously one drops from the MC to the splitter and then one goes to each caliper.
      Thanks again.
      Peter

Comment

Your factory service manual has diagrams on how the cables are to be routed. Look in the section near the wiring diagrams.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Your factory service manual has diagrams on how the cables are to be routed. Look in the section near the wiring diagrams.
          +1.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I will look at the manual. I looked at the manual but just in the brake section. The pictures there are so dark that I cannot make out what they show.

Comment

A straight banjo fitting is on each of the left and right calipers.

The left caliper line (under clutch lever hand as you sit on bike) goes to left (single) side of splitter, with the angled banjo mounted so that the brake line points away (outwards) from the splitter end.

On the right hand side of the splitter (under throttle hand) is the double banjo. A straight banjo on the short master cylinder brake line goes on first, and then the angled banjo of the right hand caliper line goes on so that the line points away (outwards) from the splitter.

Was never good with word puzzles, so hope you understand my explanation.
              Last edited by 2BRacing; 02-28-2017, 03:41 PM.
              1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Absolutely what I needed 2BRacing! Thanks.

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
                A straight banjo fitting is on each of the left and right calipers.

The left caliper line (under clutch lever hand as you sit on bike) goes to left (single) side of splitter, with the angled banjo mounted so that the brake line points away (outwards) from the splitter end.

On the right hand side of the splitter (under throttle hand) is the double banjo. A straight banjo on the short master cylinder brake line goes on first, and then the angled banjo of the right hand caliper line goes on so that the line points away (outwards) from the splitter.

Was never good with word puzzles, so hope you understand my explanation.

Comment

I looked there too and I see a nice rear hose routing but nothing about the front. I have gotten the answer now though but thanks.
                  Best,
                  Peter

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                  +1.

Mark

Comment

By now, you should have BassCliff's website bookmarked.

On that website, you should have already downloaded a copy of the factory manual.

You should also have downloaded the great wiring diagram.

When you get the manual downloaded and saved, take a look on pdf pages 327 and 328 for brake hose and cable routing.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I clearly must not know how to read the manual or use it. I am certainly not trying to frustrate any of you but I simply do not see the info on the brake cables where you say it is. I did, however get a simple but perfect answer just above this that was very helpful. So if you have the patience to show me where it is in the manual, I would appreciate it but only if you feel like taking the time as I already have the answer.
                      When I look at those pages, I see wiring harness, throttle cable, clutch cable but no brake info and definitely not enough to tell me which end should have the bent fitting.
                      sorry,
                      peter

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      By now, you should have BassCliff's website bookmarked.

On that website, you should have already downloaded a copy of the factory manual.

You should also have downloaded the great wiring diagram.

When you get the manual downloaded and saved, take a look on pdf pages 327 and 328 for brake hose and cable routing.

Comment

No such thing as "brake cables". I think that's part of the communication issue here. Suzuki puts the "cable" routing in the manual, but you don't want that. You want the brake HOSE routing information. Honestly though, there isn't much room for variation with that anyway so not sure what the issue is.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Earlier in this thread you told me to look in the manual near the wiring section because the info was there...I replied that I didn't see it. I guess I am confused. The issue was exactly what i asked...which way do the fittings go? One end is straight and one end is bent and I didn't know how to orient them. Also I personally could find a few ways to "route" the cables.
                          Basically, the issue I see is that you guys could take a bike apart, shake the pieces up, and put it together again without any reference. You seem to not understand that there are people like me who are absolutely clueless how any of this works...even things as simple as brakes. I am enjoying the process of learning, and greatly appreciate people's patience and generosity of knowledge. That being said, if it annoys someone or you find my dumb questions or requests for "you've got this, you are doing it right", then by all means move on.
                          Best,
                          Peter

And for this thread's specific question, as I mentioned above, I did get a perfect answer from 2BRacing earlier in this thread

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          No such thing as "brake cables". I think that's part of the communication issue here. Suzuki puts the "cable" routing in the manual, but you don't want that. You want the brake HOSE routing information. Honestly though, there isn't much room for variation with that anyway so not sure what the issue is.

Comment

Don't feel bad. I've seen numerous pictures over the years of meticulously overhauled Zooks with the clutch cable clearly routed incorrectly. The correct routing actually LOOKS wrong.

And the number of questions about front wheel / axle shims & spacers -- goes on forever, even though there are exploded diagrams available.
                            and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                            __________________________________________________ ______________________
                            2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Thanks for the support. I am muddling my way through this with lots of help. If this thing runs when I am done, I will be ecstatic : )

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
                              Don't feel bad. I've seen numerous pictures over the years of meticulously overhauled Zooks with the clutch cable clearly routed incorrectly. The correct routing actually LOOKS wrong.

And the number of questions about front wheel / axle shims & spacers -- goes on forever, even though there are exploded diagrams available.

Comment

Working...
                              X