Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orientation and routing of front cables (GS 850GT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Peter. Just thought I'd share a mistake I made replacing mine. Somehow after the new brake lines went on the tachometer cable got moved over enough to pinch behind the triple tree. Turning the forks hard to the right was when I noticed it. Unfortunately in the hundreds of miles I put on with the new brake lines I didn't notice anything wrong but I let my stepson ride it and within five miles the tach quit working. The cable is done for with a severe kink. I can't blame my boy, it would have happened to me sooner or later.

Edit: I suspect I routed the tach cable wrong to begin with but didn't notice till now.
    Last edited by Burque73; 03-02-2017, 10:47 AM.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Thanks for that info! I am hoping to get them all routed and bled this weekend. Did you use any sort of bleeder or just go the manual route? I was thinking of getting a bleeder since the youtube videos I have seen make it look much easier.
      I will watch the other cables too.
      Have a great weekend.
      Peter

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
      Hey Peter. Just thought I'd share a mistake I made replacing mine. Somehow after the new brake lines went on the tachometer cable got moved over enough to pinch behind the triple tree. Turning the forks hard to the right was when I noticed it. Unfortunately in the hundreds of miles I put on with the new brake lines I didn't notice anything wrong but I let my stepson ride it and within five miles the tach quit working. The cable is done for with a severe kink. I can't blame my boy, it would have happened to me sooner or later.

Edit: I suspect I routed the tach cable wrong to begin with but didn't notice till now.

Comment

No, I didnt use a bleeder, just a piece of clear tubing on the nipple fed into a can on the floor and a wrench. The front left was the most challenging but it went fine. It takes a while for any pressure to build and I went through most of a 12oz container in the process.
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Ok. I think I will give that a shot before dropping the $40 on a bleeder.

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
          No, I didnt use a bleeder, just a piece of clear tubing on the nipple fed into a can on the floor and a wrench. The front left was the most challenging but it went fine. It takes a while for any pressure to build and I went through most of a 12oz container in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Buehner View Post
            Thanks for that info! I am hoping to get them all routed and bled this weekend. Did you use any sort of bleeder or just go the manual route? I was thinking of getting a bleeder since the youtube videos I have seen make it look much easier.
            I will watch the other cables too.
            Have a great weekend.
            Peter
            Get a 1 dollar veterinary syringe and suck the fluid out from the bottom.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

That sounds like a much better deal than the $40 bleeder I was looking at on Amazon. Thanks for the tip!

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
              Get a 1 dollar veterinary syringe and suck the fluid out from the bottom.

Comment

Working...
              X