Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Type of Oil 10w 40w UK

Hi,

Need to do an oil change; I have lots of car 10w 40w oil but worried that is may effect the clutch plates.

Whats the cheapest 10w 40w motorbike oil I can get in the uk?

Or should I not be worried?

cheers

Long as it doesnt have friction modifiers its fine. There are also good synthetic cycle oils out there. Myself, I use Shell Rotella 10 W 40 diesel oil.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

how do I know if it does not have friction modifiers ?

Comment

Oil in the UK is different than we get in the USA. In the states the government has mandated reductions in the amount of zinc and phosphorus in the oil, important high pressure additives, because they shorten catalytic converter life. In the UK the reductions haven't been as great. Hopefully some UK members will chime in with their recommendations. In the USA using diesel engine oil works well in motorcycles so that's what a lot of us GS riders do.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

This is from the internet somewhere...

In 1998 the Japanese Automotive Standards Organization (or JASO for short) developed a grading system for motorcycle oils.
          JASO MA – This was the standard for single unit engines where the wet clutch, gearbox and engine used the same oil. JASO-MA oils don’t contain friction modifiers.
          JASO-MA2 – This specification was introduced in 2006 for modern motorcycle engines. As well as being a higher standard of oil the JASO-MA2 approval means the oil is suitable for use in bikes with catalytic converts in the exhaust system.
          The Jaso grading system measured (amongst other things) an oils ability to resist clutch friction (or slippage), protection offered against engine wear and pitting in the gear box.

so, look for that first on the bottle.
          oh and here's something to chew on so you can get up to speed in a discussion of "the best motorcycle oil that you can buy that isn't found in a motorcycle shop"
          http://vfrworld.com/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm

Comment

When I see MOBIL DELVAC on sale I'm always tempted to try it. I bet you can get that over there.

Last edited by bonanzadave; 03-01-2017, 10:34 PM.
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

You cannot get shell rotella in the uk. Shell recommends Advance 4T AX7 10W-40 (SM/MA2) (a)
              car lube do a decent 10-40 straight mineral oil for around £15-17 for 4.5 litres
              Specifications: API SL/CF, ACEA A2/B2.
              i used it for running in new piston rings.
              normally I use silcolene super 4. 10-40. Bit pricy though

maybe some of the oil experts would look at the specs for shell helix it does say for diesel although their page says
              • For gasoline, diesel and gas engines; also suitable for biodiesel and gasoline/ethanol blends

Specifications: API SN/CF; ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4; JASO SG+; MB approval 229.3; VW 502 00/505 00; Renault RN0700, RN0710. Meets the requirements of Fiat 955535-G2
              what
              JASO SG+ Actually means I cannot find out. I am not Recommending this just something to look at and perhaps discuss
              can be had on fleabay for around £18-23 follow this link will take offers http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHELL-HELI...25.m3641.l6368
              Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 03-02-2017, 10:57 AM.
              The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
              1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
              past bikes. RF900
              TL1000s
              Hayabusa
              gsx 750f x2
              197cc Francis Barnett
              various British nails

Comment

I have been using Halfords own motorcycle oil with no problems at all and at £25 for 5lt not to spendy either.
                Jeff

Living the dream...

1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

Comment

Castrol GTX for diesels is my recommendation. Price is often all over the place but look around and you'll be able to get a can for under £20.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

thanks buddy!

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                    Castrol GTX for diesels is my recommendation. Price is often all over the place but look around and you'll be able to get a can for under £20.

Comment

Euro car parts mineral 15/40 diesel oil there own brand QX works for me, around £20 for 5 litre.
                      Last edited by uk gs nut; 03-22-2017, 09:27 AM.
                      My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

15W40 diesel oil is what I use. Mineral is ok imho, we are changing every couple thousand miles.
                        Last one I got was 'special formula for 80's diesels'.
                        This article sums up thinking on the subject and mentions some of the points the guys were talking about earlier in the thread.
                        97 R1100R
                        Previous
                        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Another vote for the ECP branded QX. There is always a promo on so make use of that and even cheaper is Carpartsforless, which is ECP web only part and costs even less spendlessness.
                          The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Working...
                          X