Tire choice advice for '81 GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire choice advice for '81 GS850G

Hello all. I have an '81 GS850G that I am reviving after apparently having sat for a long time. I am wondering if there is any consensus on what brand/model of tires to use, and what brand/model NOT to use. I am a very conservative rider and will seldom exceed 65mph.

How often do you want to change tires? How many miles do you plan to ride each year?

For some surprisingly-good inexpensive (cheap) tires, check the Shinko 712 or 230. A pair will be about $135, shipped to your door, then you can put them on yourself or arrange to have them put on. You might find a local shop that will order them and put them on.

The Shinkos are well-received by many members here, but you will likely only get about 6-8000 miles out of them. One of our members testes a set of 230s and ran them the same way he runs his other tires. Let's just also add that he is not particularly "gentle" with them. He got about 6000 miles, but felt comfortable with them the whole time. They never got 'greasy' or loose, they were always good and predictable. However, for less than twice the money, he prefers Avon Roadriders that last about twice as long. Less money per mile and fewer tire-changing sessions per year. Yeah, he puts on that many miles in a year.

One to avoid, in my opinion is Kenda Challenger. I will not ride a bike with them. If I have to move a bike with them, I will push it. I try to not even let them make prints on my shop floor.

By the way, the sizes you will be looking for will be 100/90-19 for the front, 130/90-17 for the rear.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Can't go wrong with the Shinko 230's. Good reviews on here about them, stupid cheap and decent mileage. I run them on my 1000G. Of course Avon Roadriders are great but more expensive but the mileage is a lot more with them so they work out about the same cost.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
      X