Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible Carb Rebuild?

Hey everyone!

I have a quick question for you all. I recently acquired a 1978 GS750, The previous owner put pods on the bike and it currently has straight pipes (I plan on throwing on a muffler as its extremely loud). Anyway I was looking at the bike today and noticed the bottom of each carb had gas on it, like the image below:
    20170308_171117.jpg
    As you can tell its kind of hard to see, so I don't think its a huge deal..

Ok so now my question, is a leak like this going to require a rebuild of the carbs? Is there something else that may be easier then a complete rebuild?

Also - as I said above the previous owner put on pods and straight piped it, pretty sure he never did a rejet as the bike runs pretty rough and putters alot. Am i correct to think that would be a rejet? Or could that also be from this leak?

Thank you all for your help!!

I would take off the tank and blow dry the carb rack with lots of compressor air. Then hook up a gravity tank and be ready with a flashlight. First look at the fuel tee and crossover tubes for any new wetness. If they dont seep at the ends then thats not the source. Dry again if need be and get ready and look at the rims of the bowls and see what bowl gasket is weeping. That would be my go to method to at least ID whats he source of the weepage.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Seeing as you don't know if it has been rejetted you might as well dismantle/clean and check the jets.
      The pods make the removal and install of the crab rack that much easier.
      Cleaning tutorial here: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...rb_rebuild.pdf
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Stammmering can be from a lot of things.

Intermitent spark due to worn points or bad condensors.
        Timing out a little.
        Points gap incorrect
        Intermitent spark due to dirty connections at the main harness causing a coil to misfire.
        Bad connections where the plug caps screw onto the plug wires.
        Cracked plug wires that periodically short to the engine block causing misfires.
        Cracked caps that do the same as bad wires.
        Fouled or misgapped plugs.

So youve got some investigating nd obviously some maintenance to do. Go here and look at the right margin and find the VM carb rebuild tutorial for future use.

And heres the service manual..

1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Oring kit does 1 full rack. vendor is a long time member here and sells top notch kits. Redo the intake manifold orings as well.See page 3 of the site for those. Remove yours and measure the inside diameter of the oring groove and order accordingly.

Comment

Wow quick responses, and very informative! Thank you all!

So I forgot to state that I am very new to working on Carbs, ive worked on bikes but have always feared the carbs. When you say the bowl gasket, where is that located? Also do i need to completely remove the Carbs from the bike if I were to preform a rejet?

Thank you again for all your help!!

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              Stammmering can be from a lot of things.

Intermitent spark due to worn points or bad condensors.
              Timing out a little.
              Points gap incorrect
              Intermitent spark due to dirty connections at the main harness causing a coil to misfire.
              Bad connections where the plug caps screw onto the plug wires.
              Cracked plug wires that periodically short to the engine block causing misfires.
              Cracked caps that do the same as bad wires.
              Fouled or misgapped plugs.

So youve got some investigating nd obviously some maintenance to do. Go here and look at the right margin and find the VM carb rebuild tutorial for future use.

And heres the service manual..

http://zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage...arly8valve.pdf
              Would you recommend looking into these before tearing apart the carbs? Or do you think I should just go for it since a cleaning of carbs could never hurt.. Or should I say a proper cleaning could never hurt.

Comment

Get the carbs cleaned first following the tutorial found on Basscliff's page you were given. If you are not confident in doing them even after following that guide, then reach out to Chef1366, Steve, or a few other folks on here and they can do the cleaning for you.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I also do rebuilds if you wish to consider myself. Pm for information.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                    ..., then reach out to Chef1366, Steve, or a few other folks on here and they can do the cleaning for you.
                    Thanks, cowboy, but I am full-up on carb work right now.

Benjisus, feel free to send them to Chef1366 or Chuck Hahn, either one will do a fine job.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X