Best tires for 1984 GS1150ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best tires for 1984 GS1150ES

For no more than 200 bucks, what tire pair would you recommend? I know the 16 inch front is harder to find than the rear and so I have been befuddled in finding a matching pair in the correct size. Suggestions? Best place to get them at cheapest price? Thanks.
    1984 GS1150ES (finally arrived, more to come...)
    1989 Dodge Dakota (the perfect Oregon work truck)
    1980 Sears "Free Spirit" bicycle (original patina and everything!)
    1978 "The Executive" RV (vintage like its owner)

How can I be in two places at once when i'm not anywhere at all?

Can I double park in a parallel universe?

This is what I put on my friends 1150, planned to put them on that 1150 of yours. $217 shipped, close to your $200
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ing-front-tire Size: 110/90V-16
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ring-rear-tire Size: 130/90V-17 TL

Comment

Originally posted by ehra View Post
      This is what I put on my friends 1150, planned to put them on that 1150 of yours. $217 shipped, close to your $200
      http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ing-front-tire Size: 110/90V-16
      http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ring-rear-tire Size: 130/90V-17 TL
      sport demons are sticky but wear real fast.

I would look for some Shinkos for cheapest

Comment

The only Shinko in that oddball front size is the SR735, a cruiser tire.

I guess you could pair it with a 712 rear if you're only interested in the cheapest possible rubber -- that comes out to around $117.

No idea how well this combination would work.

The Pirelli Sport Demon and the Bridgestone BT-45 seem to be the only decent rubber available in sets with the correct sizes. The Bridgestones come out to about $213 a set.
        America's trusted online source to shop the best discounted Motorcycle, UTV, ATV, Side by Side, and 4 Wheeler aftermarket tires, gear, parts and accessories.

I think you can get Metzelers in these sizes as well, but they're stupid money.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Ive been using the BT 45 since I got mine.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            The only Shinko in that oddball front size is the SR735, a cruiser tire.

I guess you could pair it with a 712 rear if you're only interested in the cheapest possible rubber -- that comes out to around $117.

No idea how well this combination would work.

The Pirelli Sport Demon and the Bridgestone BT-45 seem to be the only decent rubber available in sets with the correct sizes. The Bridgestones come out to about $213 a set.
            America's trusted online source to shop the best discounted Motorcycle, UTV, ATV, Side by Side, and 4 Wheeler aftermarket tires, gear, parts and accessories.

I think you can get Metzelers in these sizes as well, but they're stupid money.
            Have that Shinko combo with a 230 on the back,wouldn't recommend it.The SR735 is only S rated.It hasn't done anything really bad but I just don't trust it either.

Comment

Okay, of the Michelin or Bridgestone, is there any noticeable difference between the two? Wear? Stickiness? Cold weather grip? I am leaning towards the BT45s only as they are Japanese instead of French, and the Shinkos, well since there is no matching set they are out.

Comment

This is an extra plus I'm finding in having gone to GSX-R wheels. Even though the 18" wheels are a bit odd in size compared to the 17" standard, great tires are still available.

Don't knock Michelins.
                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

I've run the Michelin Pilot Active in the rear. Did a trackday on it, worked fine and seems to wear well, surely longer than a Sport Demon.
                  Never liked the BT-45 front and never have tried a rear, because I didn't like the front. It just felt vague.

Michelin doesn't make 110/16 in the Active but do make a 120/90/16. In the past my favorite front 16 was the Michelin Macadam, but they don't make it anymore.
                  Regarding the rear rim do you have a 3" or 3.5"? The price looks to be around $225.
                  GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I never liked the BT45s that came on my FZ1, either, BTW.
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                      I've run the Michelin Pilot Active in the rear. Did a trackday on it, worked fine and seems to wear well, surely longer than a Sport Demon.
                      Never liked the BT-45 front and never have tried a rear, because I didn't like the front. It just felt vague.

Michelin doesn't make 110/16 in the Active but do make a 120/90/16. In the past my favorite front 16 was the Michelin Macadam, but they don't make it anymore.
                      Regarding the rear rim do you have a 3" or 3.5"? The price looks to be around $225.
                      3.5 rear rim. The Michelins on now are one size larger and I don't like the way the front end feels with the wider tire. Could also be that both are worn about 80% but want to go back to stock size.

Comment

Originally posted by oregonjake View Post
                        3.5 rear rim. The Michelins on now are one size larger and I don't like the way the front end feels with the wider tire. Could also be that both are worn about 80% but want to go back to stock size.
                        BTW, I would not be hyper concerned with mixing brands as long are they are quality brands/similar sport applications.
                        With 18" wheel I would not get matched F/R either in the same brand.

Comment

I'm not that aggressive of a rider so maybe the BT 45s shortcomings aren't noticed by me. I have definitely noticed handling gets weird at the end of their life.

for years I have gone one size up on the sizes. The set I'm going to now are stock size. I'm interested to see if / how much of a difference it makes.
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I've got matched Metzeler Roadtecs on the GSX-R wheels and they feel marvelous.
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                              BTW, I would not be hyper concerned with mixing brands as long are they are quality brands/similar sport applications.
                              With 18" wheel I would not get matched F/R either in the same brand.
                              I prefer a matched set but agree that mixed brands do no harm. I have been looking at Avon but no matched pair, at least here in the U.S. If I wanted to buy a matched set of Avons that would fit I would have to buy the front from England as no one here sells the 110/90-16.

Comment

Working...
                              X