Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike has no umph

Hey everyone!

I have run into an issue with my bike.. I have a 1978 GS750, and I just put on a MAC 4-1 exhaust. Once I put on the new exhaust.. the bike is not starting, but I have a feeling it might not be the exhaust.

I recently replaced the battery of the motorcycle because when I first bought the bike the owner told me "Hook the bike up to a battery for a few minutes"... Well a new battery would fix that.. I thought.
    Anyway, so this is what has happened, the motorcycle when I first turned it on with a new battery the headlight shined brighter then my future, now it barely produces any light when i turn the key. Also, when I used the push start it attempted to start the bike, and now there is nothing. And lastly when I try to kick start, there is no resistance at all.

I had the bike running not 2 days ago with the new battery. Can anyone help me!? Please!?

- Ben

I'm in no place to diagnose the electrical aspects of your problems... but I will say, going from stock exhaust to a 4-1 shouldn't impact the starting, but it could/and likely would, impact the engine's performance without a carb re-jet and a carb sync.

As far as starting, can you do a compression test? All fuses in good shape? Electrical contacts all clean and tight? Especially grounds? Hook up the bike to a car with a good batter, don't run the car, just hook it up... see if the starter spins.

Comment

Im not really sure how to perform a compression test.. What do I need to do for that?

I will run out and check the grounds and try the car! Thank you!

Comment

Go to your local parts place, most have a tool rental. Ask them for a compression test kit and search on here for how to test. It involves removing spark plugs.

Comment

Ok, I will do that once I have the time!

I did hook the bike up to a car battery, and the starter did work. It would turn over a few times then stop. I was able to build up some more compression with the kick start and it would continue to do the same thing, attempt to start, loose its umph. I was eventually able to start the bike with the kick and it was blowing some serious smoke out of the exhaust...

I also checked all of the grounds and sanded them all down. A few definitely needed it.

What would you recommend next? The compression test?

Comment

You might want to check the Newbie Mistakes thread linked in my signature to see if you missed anything.

I would not bother with a compression test unless you have adjusted the valves and have done all the bikes maintenance in general.

What you describe could be as simple as the bike running on 3 cylinders.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I was planning on rebuilding the carbs since I wasnt sure the condition after the previous owner. So would you just recommend doing that before I look into any other issues?

Comment

Valves clearances first, then rebuild the carbs and sync them.

Comment

I remember seeing something a while ago that was like a valve graph? Showing what adjustments need to be done.. You wouldnt by chance have this? I cant seem to find it now!

Comment

Contact member "Steve" on here. He has a handy spreadsheet that I just used to do mine. Get your clearances measured then order shims from the Shim Club (http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ight=shim+club)

Comment

Valve adjustment and a carb cleaning can and should be done at the same time.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Does your bike still have the points ignition?
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                          Does your bike still have the points ignition?
                          Yeah, it looks like it still has the points ignition.

Comment

you probably went from go to no ump because 1 or 2 cylinders aren't firing

Take the cover off rotate the crank clockwise and see if the points open and close. My guess is one set closed up , or bad condensor

If you've never changed your points/condensors, that's where I'd start. Then, order a Dyna S and never worry about points ever again
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

It is free to adjust points. New OEM points and condensers cost nearly as much as an aftermarket electronic ignition. Aftermarket ones are considerably less expensive.
                              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                              X