Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb T-piece fix

Hi,

Just found this page about fixing old fuel T-pieces from a XS11 page. They say that the old rubber o-rings can be cut out and replaced by new ones. I haven't had my carbs apart yet, but if this mod fixes the leak problem that I have it would be worth a go

Here's the (german) link

what do you think?

Better than leaking gas if you were stranded somewhere but a more permanent fix would be to get a new Tee.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Order the o-rings from our own Robert Barr and it will solve all your leaks.
      Might as well give them a proper cleaning when you have them apart.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

The Tee parts for my '82 1100g carbs don't appear to have removable O-rings; it looks as if the Tee is just molded to have an interference fit.

I'm at work and can't follow the link - is that about modifying the molded Tee, or do some GS bikes have Tees with O-rings?

Comment

Some GSs (mine) use O rings on the fuel tee.
          Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
          2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
            Some GSs (mine) use O rings on the fuel tee.
            Thanks! So maybe there are some from another bike I can use...

Comment

Did it to my 80 1000g haven't had any problems
              I build Pipers

Comment

The article was about a Yamaha XS11 carb, the tee piece looks similar to the GS1000 but maybe in this case it's different and has o-rings. If the GS1000 is one piece moulded that explains the leaks! and I shall get a metal one with o-rings

Comment

Ordered a set from Robert and the manifold gaskets, that's a good product at a good price!

Comment

Hasn't anyone seen my post. Just in case the O-rings are same size.....

Comment

I bought a full carb gasket kit on ebay but while the jumpers between carb 1-2 and 3-4 had replacable O rings my fuel tee was a one piece molded design. It doesnt leak after reassembling but I would like to find a new T and replace it the next time I have the carbs out.

Comment

Get ahold of Z1 Enterprises

EDIT..call them and have some measurements handy particularly the length from the end of the tee to the thicker center parts shoulder and the distance from shoulder to shoulder on the fat part. This will give them some solid info to work with. They would probably ask you if you know these things anyway.

(315) 926-5054
                        Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-16-2017, 06:04 PM.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Just had my carbs apart, seems my T-piece is also of the type with a fixed moulded rubber sleeve, seems to fit very snugly though so that can't be the part that leaks. I think the problem is with the other 2 pieces which have removable o-rings and don't fit so well. So I off to source 8 small o-rings, I have ordered some from Robert but they haven't arrived yet and I'm impatient. In the meanwhile I found that the diaphrams were all gunged up. I could have probably have got away with cleaning them, but around the edges they had started to wear so I've ordered a set of new rubbers. The parts list lists this part as a one piece item with the slide (a set would cost 260 euros!) whereas the diaphragms I have bought are separate pieces which require cutting the plastic part on the top of the slide (still cost 90 euros!). Has anyone had experience of these, any fitting tips?

Comment

Just a note on the XS11 T-piece page, the guy there has cut the ridges off a one piece rubber t-piece so that he can then fit o-rings. A bit drastic, but there are some old t-pieces kncking around on ebay. I will try to get a second hand t-piece to try this mod on.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveWatts View Post
                              Just a note on the XS11 T-piece page, the guy there has cut the ridges off a one piece rubber t-piece so that he can then fit o-rings. A bit drastic, but there are some old t-pieces kncking around on ebay. I will try to get a second hand t-piece to try this mod on.
                              I was about to post this -- I know some people have done this successfully.

The one-piece tee is a metal piece with a rubber coating. Carefully cut off the raised "o-ring" parts off the one-piece tee's coating with an Xacto knife, leaving grooves in the rubber, then replace them with real o-rings (no idea what the correct measurements are -- you'll need calipers to make accurate measurements). You do need to make sure the remaining rubber coating bits are firmly attached to the metal underneath.
                              Last edited by bwringer; 04-19-2017, 02:16 PM.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                              X