How likely is it that my timing chain jumped? 1982 Gs550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
    Matt, before going to that extreme please post a picture of what you are seeing so we can see it too.
    Alright, ill get you guys a couple of pics in the morning.... maybe im looking at something wrong here, and don't need to go to any extremes

Comment

So Tdc is lined up om the 1&4 side
      Attached Files

Comment

Mark #1 is sitting below the block
        Attached Files

Comment

You guys can all see the pictures right?

Comment

I see two pictures. How far below the head surface is the pointer? If the chain is stretched then the arrow would be above the surface of the head slightly when on the correct tooth location.
            Last edited by JTGS850GL; 04-17-2017, 05:57 PM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Just adjusted it, This is one tooth up from the last picture. Is that too far mis aligned from the edge?
              Attached Files

Comment

Let me just ask a stupid question. The picture of the cam sprocket was taken after both cams were installed, caps torqued down and the tensioner fitted?

Comment

Originally posted by TeamDar View Post
                  Let me just ask a stupid question. The picture of the cam sprocket was taken after both cams were installed, caps torqued down and the tensioner fitted?
                  Yessir, should i have done something different?

Comment

I just wanted to make sure that you had everything tightened down. The arrow won't line up until everything is tight. The other possibility is that the crankshaft twisted.

Comment

But im right in saying that the timing is off here? Is it far enough off to keep my motor from starting, or is it just going to effect performance slightly?

Comment

I would think that it would start and run but not well.

Comment

I would think that it would start and run but not well.
                          So... new timing chain or twisted crank?

Comment

I would get a degree wheel and check your TDC mark. Once that is verified then you could check actual cam timing.

Comment

I would get a degree wheel and check your TDC mark. Once that is verified then you could check actual cam timing.
                              As in the TDC mark on the motor is in the wrong spot?

Comment

There is no TDC mark on the motor. The sheet metal timing plate line could be off a little or even be from a different motor. Same thing with the advancer. When you first checked the timing, was the #1 arrow slightly below the gasket surface when the crank was at TDC?

Comment

Working...
                                X