How likely is it that my timing chain jumped? 1982 Gs550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TeamDar View Post
    There is no TDC mark on the motor. The sheet metal timing plate line could be off a little or even be from a different motor. Same thing with the advancer. When you first checked the timing, was the #1 arrow slightly below the gasket surface when the crank was at TDC?
    The very first time i checked the timing, #1 as above the surface. I had just assumed the timing was wrong, so i made an adjustment and the mark was then below the surface

As of litterally 2 mins ago i set the timing back to slightly above the edge, and the motor started just like before!!! But it only runs while the carb is choked halfway or more

Comment

You have airbox and filter installed?
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
        You have airbox and filter installed?
        No, i have pods on rn, bike didnt come with the stock box. But a week or so ago the bike was running and riding no propblem with the pods

Comment

I have the exact same problem with the timing mark being slightly below the surface. It runs fine but is a hard start after sitting for more than two days. Did you ever solve your problem

https://goo.gl/photos/UktjRFtMgDwvkyjr8

Comment

You realize that you are asking a question on a thread that has been dead for just over two years, and the original poster is no longer active, hence the title of "Guest"?

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i do now. ha ha. sad face

Comment

If you cast your bread on the waters,
                It returns a thousand fold,
                So it says in the Bible,
                That’s what I’ve been told.
                So I cast my bread on the waters,
                It was spotted by a froggy,
                And the bits of bread he didn’t eat
                Just floated back all soggy.
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by 081DBX64 View Post
                  i do now. ha ha. sad face
                  No need, you have commenced your own thread - we can adapt! Other guy probably solved his problem and just forgot to tell us.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I've got two low mileage (ish, 30k odd) GS550 engines, both are "half" a tooth out - if I rotate it forward one tooth, the arrow is just under the head, or it's just over it. Can't quite believe I've got two engines with a stretched cam chain. Anyone else able to add some wisdom?

Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2019, 07:38 PM.

Comment

I replaced the camchain with a brand new DID, it's made no difference, still half a link out , I'm going to have a look at the timing plate,maybe it's jiggered somehow.

Comment

Working...
                      X