No announcement yet.

Bike useage vs your age...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am 66 and have been riding since I was 10. I started on a Honda 90 trail bike and living on a large ranch, rode it everywhere, even to the 2 room school. Licence at 16 and bought a 250 Dream which make a pretty poor trail bike and rode it to destruction. Bought a 350 and went on from there. Have been riding every year, some more than than others, and expect to do over 2000 miles for a rally.

I own a boat load of bikes, but currently ride only 4, a TTR125 my local runabout to the neighbors etc., 919 for well sport riding, and my 850L and 1100L for tour and rally.

V
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I've had a lot of totally different rides in my 48 riding years, from Yammie 2 strokes to big Jap twins & fours, to Italian Guzzi's. After all that I end up riding a 1981 GS850G, bit of a beater, and my old 1984 Moto Guzzi California. The one I like the most is the one I'm on. They both do the same thing in a different way. I find neither lacking, but I don't dual purpose anymore, and I don't drag the pegs. Everything you've done in your life has led you to the point where you are now. Only complaints are bikes I wanted and missed out on. I am 68, and prefer to just follow the boys around.

Comment

Started on a trail 90 bought an sl125 preston petty fenders an a bassani pipe got up to a 250 elsinor then had 69 cb750 a 73 cb750 and then a dog but very clean 75 cb750. then later a cbr600f1 and a cbr600f2 also a fj1200 shortly now a 04 cbr1000rr and latest a 1979 gs1000.

Comment

Originally posted by jjbmxer View Post
          Started on a trail 90 bought an sl125 preston petty fenders an a bassani pipe got up to a 250 elsinor then had 69 cb750 a 73 cb750 and then a dog but very clean 75 cb750. then later a cbr600f1 and a cbr600f2 also a fj1200 shortly now a 04 cbr1000rr and latest a 1979 gs1000.
          You didn't answer the age question.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

I'm 31, rode dirtbikes in my teens, started street riding when I was 19 or 20. Before my motorcycle decided to stop running I rode it to work and for trips/fun. I ride off-road with my quad a lot also.

Comment

Been riding since I was 9 now 54. First bike 80 cc two stroke dirt. At 12 I got to start to build a triumph tiger into a 850 at my neighbors club house for my 16th(rode this bike for 25 years). Grew up in Milwaukee and never owned a Harley though family worked there... Lots of two stroke yamaha rd's, rz's and kawasaki's H1's and H2's. Got my first GS a 850 while living on St Thomas USVI. Have done a couple big off road trips. 3 months in Egypt on a TT500 following the Pharaohs rally route loosely, and a month in Honduras(all their roads are potted two tracks)
              Since moving back to the USA tried doing drag racing . I sucked, was never consistent and cost began to be prohibitive. Fastest was 160 mph(I backed off) on a 99 Hayabusa I purchased in Canada and drove back to Michigan. Traded it for a roof on my cabin in Iron River,MI and some cash(uncomfortable ride, had planned to ride it back to Florida). Currently own 3 rd400's one rd350, 77KZ650, 82GS1100G. I do 99% of my own work on my bikes. Do not do body work/paint or put tires on rims. I ride mainly mothers day thru to Nov. when the snow birds and tourist return to FLA. Then it is just back roads after 5 pm when they leave the roads for early bird specials and happy hour. I still like smoking the tires and popping wheelies though speed isn't that big of a thrill anymore.
              Last edited by Guest; 07-14-2017, 08:40 AM.

Comment

I'm 59. Got my first bike, CB200, in '79 and rode everywhere.Even went two up camping to Paris on that thing. Graduated to Z650 and was doing a lot of miles. Eventually family and car arrived and with the kids getting older I hung up my helmet and sold the R100. By that time I was mostly going solo on short local runs in good weather. I had a lot of other committments both for myself and the kids and I started to notice I was getting slower or more chicken. The time had come for a break.
                Nest empty now and four years ago I bought the 850. The two of us are like teens again. She was really surprised that she enjoys it more now. We use it to get a coffee at the lighthouse or the boat locks on the river and the occasional 200 miler for a weekend away. 100 miles a week is average. Sometimes a week or two can go by especially in the summer with family and boats and fishing intervening. I probably do most solo riding in the winter months.
                We live in a Viking town. They did not have much time for car parks so if I need to see a couple of suits about paperwork or run a few errands in short order, nothing beats the bike.
                I like it when the girls at the supermarket checkouts ask me to remove the helmet for an age check buying alcohol
                I have been borrowing my son's 1979 KZ400. I like it. I think we forget that smaller capacity machines have a place. The 850 can be like handling a heavy boat in town traffic. The 400 is like waving a wand. Which reminds me. I promised myself a TS185 many years ago.
                Last edited by Brendan W; 07-14-2017, 08:50 AM.
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

1. I ride strictly for pleasure--well, that and sanity. Always loved anything with a motor but I wasn't allowed to have anything "dangerous" until I was out on my own. As a teenager, a friend gave me a Honda 125 for $25 but I had to get rid of it the same day. Got my first real ride in '83. Brand new CB1000 Custom. Learned to ride when I left the dealership with it. I have a couple three and four hour routes in the hills east of here that I take to de-stress. I avoid the freeway and any traffic really.

2. I'm 58.
                  sigpic
                  1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
                  1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
                  1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
                  On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
                  All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

I'm 62 years old. I leaned to ride a motorcycle at ten, on a Suzuki 80 Hillbilly. I got my own motorcycle, a Honda S90, at eleven. My first street bike was when I was about 19, a 1969 BSA 441 Victor Special. I sold my car, and rode the Victim for most of a year to save up for a better car. I didn't get a motorcycle license until twenty six, on a Norton Commando I bought new, and did a lot of touring, commuting, and even entered a Mexican road race on it, in 1987.

I bought a couple GS850Gs in '87 for my brother and I to tour on. I did not love them, but I certainly respected them. I don't mind running errands on the bikes, but commuting, the extra time it takes to gear up used to put me off. That said, I really don't commute from home any more, because I work at remote sites.

I haven't been riding much lately, due to work, rental property, and playing with a Lotus Esprit S4 I bought about 2 1/2 years ago. A GS1000G suites me well. I keep the Samsonite trunk on the rack, and only use the bags on a tour. I like the comfort. I like the low and mid range power. My right hip isn't too good now, and kick starting Commandos with extra compression has probably contributed to that condition. Even Touring, I take pains to stay off of controlled access highways, so the lack of top end power my 1000G lacks compared to modern non-Harleys isn't a problem.

I hope to have more time to get out there in the near future.
                    Last edited by 850 Combat; 07-20-2017, 11:19 AM.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Good feedback on this thread. Beats the POTUS thread and new subjects coming up in the Vortex.

I've only been riding since 2011 when I was 44 and started with a 2000/GSX-R750 (After I got my MSF course done)--that lasted 6 months and I sold the bike.

Step in my "T" that I found on CL (Nov 2012) from Glenn Burnie, MD that was in the middle of a clutch rebuild. Took it to local bike shop I was referred to and low and behold it was a starter! (Compression test checked good). Found this site in December 2012 and been enjoying this place since!

I enjoy reading about how everyone got into their riding so thanks for sharing your stories.

My "T" has been sitting (Since July 2015) but waiting patiently as I have been preoccupied with my family/house responsibilities/work and my relaxing times in places that serve Craft Beer. I know that once I sort things out, I will concentrate on my bike and do my "Due Diligence" and get her safely prepared for riding. In the meantime, I have been increasing my post count with replies to threads that interest me. It's all good.

Ed
                      Last edited by GSXR7ED; 07-15-2017, 05:17 PM.
                      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

1) how do you use your bike mainly?

Currently, I use my bikes for pleasure/recreational riding, for short trips to visit folks, runs to the store when I need small things. and whatever else. I've always gone on two wheels whenever possible - work, school, vacation, etc.

2) how old are you?

I'm 62. Started riding mini bikes and Honda 50s when I was 11 or 12 in our corn and wheat fields that were behind school and across the street from my house. Legally got onto the street at 17 or 18. I ride less now than when I was younger. Health has a lot - no, just about everything - to do with it. I don't plan on not riding for a long time though.

Comment

1) how do you use your bike mainly?
                          i use it for pleasure and some touring, just compleated a 2200 mile 9 day trip to Spain/Portugal some camping and small hotels/hostels.

2) How old are you?
                          I am 70 Years young and getting younger🤤 I aim to continue riding as long as I enjoy it.

The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                          1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                          past bikes. RF900
                          TL1000s
                          Hayabusa
                          gsx 750f x2
                          197cc Francis Barnett
                          various British nails

Comment

I'm 74. My transportation and recreation is the bike, so I ride every day. The only time I drive my truck is when I need to pick up something I can't carry with the bike. Been on two wheels about 52 years now. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. heh
                            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Some of you guys have been on two wheels longer than I've been on two feet!

Hats off to you fellas, ride on!
                              Roger

Current rides
                              1983 GS 850G
                              2003 FJR 1300A
                              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Ok, born 1954. Riding since 2007.
                                I seem to get into fads, and stay there for a year or so. This past year it's been playing rock music, building guitars.
                                Seems I like to build more than play, bikes or guitars.
                                Last 2 years it was building a track bike and learning how to ride track. Track fees are rather pricey, $160 to $210 a day.
                                This summer, well the number of wacky tourists plus wacky deer running across the road has been too much. Mostly only riding my bicycle on the back roads instead of a motorbike. I like the feeling of staying in shape, hate of the feeling of getting smashed out of shape.
                                Waiting for the tourists to clear out, so I can have my roads back. Will be back to riding in the fall.
                                I been riding my bicycle through town to buy groceries and beer. No worries about parking, never have to back out blind wondering if an idiot will ram me.
                                (Just cleared 4000 posts!)
                                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                                X