No announcement yet.

Bike useage vs your age...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wheelie pic at age 14 is awesome. I couldn't even wheelie my bicycle then (or now).
    2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
    82 gs1100L probably the next project
    1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
    1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

hehe, I still can't wheelie a bicycle well, never got the knack for it. But on a trike, it's almost impossible to not wheelie.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Nice Scout in background too.
        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Really wish I still had the 1976 Scout Traveler. That was the vehicle I learned to drive in/ took my test in/partied in/drive anywhere in.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

My first ride. Apparently I haven't learned anything since 1973. Yes I rode when the snow was still on the ground and into November.
            Attached Files
            1986 1150EF
            2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
              Really wish I still had the 1976 Scout Traveler. That was the vehicle I learned to drive in/ took my test in/partied in/drive anywhere in.
              sold my Scout II for $400, now a runner will cost 15K and up, waaay up. Who would've guessed they'd become so collectible.
              1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

I so understand. I sold my last Mini Cooper for 1/3 of what they go for now, and Minis are still my favorite cars of all time.
                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

I am 59 years old. I started on two wheel when I was around 8 on an old mini bike with a Tecumsah pos engine on it. Then a Z50 then a RV90 Zook. After that it was dirt bikes mostly Suzuki two strokes. Parents would not buy a street machine. I had to buy my first on my own in 1981 a GS550L cruiser. Bought pnly one other cruiser a Intruder 800 with the drag bars cannot recall the year model. Then to a 1983 GS550ES and later picked up in 1987 my current (still own it and restoring it) 1982 GS1000S Katana. After I parked the Katana in the early 90s I began buying the GSXRs, all 750s until 2001 when I went to the GSX-R600 and road racing it with WERA SE and Mid Central. Road raced on and off for 17 years mostly on 600s then in 2013 onto GSX-R1000s until 2016 and ended all that back on 600. Owned several street bikes during those years, most all Suzuki GSXRs, TLR1000R, Bandit 1200s, Bandit 1250. Then in 2011 I jumped on Yamaha's the Super Tenere and Yamaha 250F dirt bikes. Had a RMZ450 2007 model it was insane fast. Back on a Suzuki GSX-S1000 in 2016 a naked street bike. Several Adventure Vstroms in 1000 and 650. Honda Africa Twin DCT in 2017. Yamaha Tenere 700 in 2020 then back to Sport touring on a Yamaha Tracer 900 GT. Only had one Kawasaki the Concours 14, oil leaker, no more Kaws for me. Currently own a 2021 GSX-R1000R 100th anniversary edition very beautiful bike in the MotoGP livery, 2020 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT, 2014 Honda GROM, 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 and my old 1982 Big Kat GS1000S. I've owned a lot of motorcycles over the years so many I know I left out many in this quick post. Oh remember one I'd rather forget 2016 Triumph Tiger 800, no more Trumphets for me. Don't like that company.

I have a 2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT+ on order, suppose to be here by April 2022. Big new sport tourer which will replace my very nice Yamaha Tracer 900 GT. I love the Tracer triple engine but it is not a Suzuki. I am definitely on the sport bike end of riding a motorcycle unless it is a dirt bike and I've all but given them up due to injuries I seem to cannot shake off at my age now.
                  Last edited by roy826; 12-17-2021, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                    1) how do you use your bike mainly? Mostly just for fun, occasional commuter (it's only 5 miles to work)
                    2) how old are you? 50

Got my first bike for my 12th birthday, a very used 1972 Yamaha DT 250 Trials. Pic not my actual bike but exactly the same, and is in much better shape that my beater. I learned to ride and crash (a lot) on this bike.

Sold the bike and got my first 3-wheeler at age 13 or 14. Yamaha Tri-Moto 200. Paid for w/ paper-route money. No rear suspension, fun times. Me in pic (not very smart, no helmet):

Sold that a couple years later and w/ more paper-route money bought a 1986 Brand New Honda 200X. Also me in pic.

Went away to college in Boston, and sold the 200X. Had a long break from riding in the 12 yrs I lived there. A buddy and I did take the MSF course at Hanscom AFB, but at that time, licence endorsement was not part of the deal. So I didn't ride again until I moved back to central PA in 2002, took the MSF here and got my M stamp, and my Brother-In-Law gave me an early '80s Honda CB125. Looked something like this:

Around 2004, a friend really needed this non-running 1982 GS750T gone from his property, so gave it to me. This is the only pic I have of the bike in the state in which I received it:

Today, its a real runner, and I think it's looking pretty swell, with a giant thanks to all the help I've gotten from the terrific folks here on the GSR!:

Such wonderful memories, Rich.

My parents did not encourage motorcycles in our household so I never got to experience what you did...you are fortunate.

But when I did dive in...I went for the GUSTO with my Gixxer750!!! lol

Yeah, I had a close call once...the rest of the time, it was an intimidating bike for me mentally...not recommended as a first bike. I'm just glad I didn't end up like the guy who bought it from me...he was in a fatal accident 2 weeks after buying that rocket from me.

Thanks for sharing your memories...and I love the "T" of course!!!

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Ride whenever comfortable. Not ready for rain yet and anything under 45 degrees is a little cold for my tastes. I plan to ride it basically everywhere this summer but by the time I got the rebuild done it was already october. I still fire her up any time it's a little warm though. Use it to commute, run errands, or sometimes just ride when I'm bored. I don't see my car getting a whole lot of use in the warm seasons now unless I need to haul something that won't fit in a backpack. I never saw myself being a daily driver motorcycle guy but as soon as I got on I was hooked. I can't even go in the garage without staring longingly at my bike and pining for the next warm dry day.

28 here. Been riding something since my dad put me on the back of an ATV at age 10. Owned mostly 3 and 4 wheelers til now. My GS400 is my first 2 wheel street bike and I'm loving it.
                      $100 1978 GS400 Rebuild (Outdated thread, new one soon!).
                      - Indicator light diode mod
                      - LED underglow kit
                      - Aftermarket LED headlight bucket
                      - Hex head engine case bolt kit
                      - SH775A Reg/Rec upgrade
                      - Dynatek Dyna S ignition
                      - All Balls taper bearing steering stem mod
                      - Dynatek 5ohm ignition coils and NGK caps
                      - Custom cafe seat

Comment

I've been riding since pre-teen. Tustin, CA air force base and my dad would take us into the hills. He always made us watch out for the indians as they did not like us on their tribal land. This was the early 70's and I was 4-7 yo. Then spent many a miles on my mid/late 70's Honda 175 (to many trips to the anesthesiologist, I don't remember the year or size but I'm close lol) riding all over Houston, Galveston, Tx. Gas was only 55¢ a gallon back then circa 1980 and it was easy to earn a couple of bucks and ride all day. Timing chains didn't last long at full rpms for 90 miles across Houston to the beach. Truly learned how to fix those single poppers before I could legally ride one... Then kids/family - still had a scoot, my son would sit on the gas tank, hands on the bars. Left Missouri on my FZR1000 loaded with all my precious belongings and headed to Florida. Spent the first 4 years without a car. Between the 3 bikes I own right now, none of them are ready for daily life again. Then again, neither am I when I wake up on a Monday morning...ugh.
                        To this day, Florida sends me a friendly, yearly reminder to get my motorcycle endorsement... usually after I renew the tags. After 50-ish years of riding, really?

FTW - in Florida you ride with a helmet you don't need insurance. You ride without, don't get caught without insurance. Full coverage for me... but I need an endorsement???
                        Current:
                        1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
                        1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
                        1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
                        1998 Chevy C2500
                        1999 Rav4

Comment

Probably not concerned if you've learned to ride, just being sure within the past 60 yrs., you ain't forgot... It's terrible they treat us old farts that way.
                          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I ride for pleasure, so long as the temps are not too high (say, over 32 Celsius). Don't ride enough, these days, fewer people to ride with, if that is inportant, have lost three fellow riding friends on the past couple of years.

I am 71.

Comment

I am 74, I have a 1979 GS850G for the last 10 years and a GS1100 prior to that. I also have a 1955 Royal Enfield Bullet and a 1965 Triumph 3ta, ex Dutch Army. I still ride them all on different day's. Getting a bit more difficult to manage the GS850G but I intend to as long as I can. I think the most important thing is to try and learn something different every ride. Never say die until your dead.
                              cheers.
                              Chris

Last edited by Diver; 11-05-2023, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Any tips on how to stay in the saddle for a few more years appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                X