Bike useage vs your age...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
    Yep CBX, very sought after & high dollar vintage bikes, no wonder. I've always thought the "79" red & black CBX is one of the, or is the, prettiest bike ever put in a showroom & engineering ahead of all the others. Hard to explain how the CBX could be this big & massive while appearing so sleek & sporty, those descriptions just don't go together. For me, they were "OK" for most anything but I don't remember anything they were the best at other than looks & the intimidating sound of a CBX with an open 6 into 1 exhaust, sure sounded fast.
    Likely the most valuable and collectible if you could one is a Black '79 only sold in Germany. I've never seen one but have had other cbx owners who have confirm it's not a myth. Some of the prices being paid in overseas markets for the six are staggering.
    Back in the late 70's bike superiority was fleeting, whenever one of the manufacturers came with the newest best in class it was overtaken by another very quickly. In '79 the CBX was the fastest production bike made, 11.36 in the 1/4. The next year Honda voluntarily reduced the CBX's power by 5hp and Suzuki GS1100 became the new King.
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
      Likely the most valuable and collectible if you could one is a Black '79 only sold in Germany. I've never seen one but have had other cbx owners who have confirm it's not a myth. Some of the prices being paid in overseas markets for the six are staggering.
      Back in the late 70's bike superiority was fleeting, whenever one of the manufacturers came with the newest best in class it was overtaken by another very quickly. In '79 the CBX was the fastest production bike made, 11.36 in the 1/4. The next year Honda voluntarily reduced the CBX's power by 5hp and Suzuki GS1100 became the new King.
      Interesting that a manufacturer would voluntarily reduce a bikes power and allow a competitor to take the "fastest bike" crown. I wonder if the 5HP was the difference or if Suzuki had it locked up regardless?
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Retrospectively, the CBx is one of the most memorable Japanese bikes ever made. Its cool factor is untouchable. If I owned one, it would be out on the street every week.
        Last edited by GS1150Pilot; 03-20-2021, 02:28 PM.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
          Retrospectively, the CBx is one of the most memorable Japanese bikes ever made. Its cool factor is untouchable.
          Ehhhhhhh.....it's OK.....Never thought about 'em much....
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
            Ehhhhhhh.....it's OK.....Never thought about 'em much....
            LOL. Lifts rock.
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

LOL. Lifts rock.
              Hahaha....

Never paid much attention to any Japanese street bike until the early 2000s.
              Dirt bikes, dual sports, and English sports cars, than Harleys, and finally my GS drag bike.
              I did have a CB200 for a while...got it from my sister...

First time I heard of a CBX was here, because of member CBXChris....before that...nada...

The only Honda I ever wanted was an Elsinore...
              Otherwise...
              Hondas equaled boring relability. But hey, that's good for eco cars and lawn mowers....

Comment

I could add, that I have looked at them in detail since, and really think...OK.

Seriously, the '82/83 GS1100E is one of the best looking bikes ever....far ahead of the CBX.

Comment

My brother's first street bike was the '82 CB900f I have in slow disassembly for restomodding, but by the time he bought it, I had been working at a Honda (automotive) garage whose owner had a CBx with headers, jetted right. Nothing I had ever seen on two wheels had such visual or aural appeal. I only rode one CBx, but it was a beautiful bike, and really is about the only Japanese street bike I still want.

~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

I think the CBx is much more visually and viscerally appealing than the GS, but the GS1100E was pretty.
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

I think the CBx is much more visually and viscerally appealing than the GS, but the GS1100E was pretty.
                      It really goes back to our youth. What we saw, what we read, who we hung with, what we actually got to drive/ride...

That's not a bad thing, at least for me...

I do have a Honda...One of the most popular and most recognizable ones ever made...
                      And I like it, because I had one when I was 15 years old...

Comment

I totally agree. I started out on these at 12, and had a 125 and eventually a 490 afterward. I've had a good number of Yamahas and Kawasakis. Fewer Hondas and Suzukis, but the Hondas' aesthetics always rang my bells (I still think the VF1000R I had is one of the prettiest fully faired bikes ever made, and I do love the CB900f a whole bunch-other than the wheels).

~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                          Interesting that a manufacturer would voluntarily reduce a bikes power and allow a competitor to take the "fastest bike" crown. I wonder if the 5HP was the difference or if Suzuki had it locked up regardless?
                          At the time there was discussion of limiting motorcycles in Europe to 100hp, countries thought anything over 100hp was excessive and dangerous and implied they would be prohibited. France followed up on it the rest of europe did not, Honda not wanting lose market share had already reduced the CBX by 5hp for 1980.

Suzuki never reached 100 until the twin cam 1100 arrived in 1981, by then Honda transformed the CBX into a sport tourer. The 1/4 mile and zero-60 differences between the GS1100 and the '79 CBX came down to rider skill. Honda had also shifted it's direction.
                          1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Anyone notice this poll is from four years ago? heh
                            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                              Anyone notice this poll is from four years ago? heh

I support entropy for all.
                              Me, too. But occasionally I like to ster the poll.
                              "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

1) how do you use your bike mainly? Mostly just for fun, occasional commuter (it's only 5 miles to work)
                                2) how old are you? 50

Got my first bike for my 12th birthday, a very used 1972 Yamaha DT 250 Trials. Pic not my actual bike but exactly the same, and is in much better shape that my beater. I learned to ride and crash (a lot) on this bike.

Sold the bike and got my first 3-wheeler at age 13 or 14. Yamaha Tri-Moto 200. Paid for w/ paper-route money. No rear suspension, fun times. Me in pic (not very smart, no helmet):

Sold that a couple years later and w/ more paper-route money bought a 1986 Brand New Honda 200X. Also me in pic.

Went away to college in Boston, and sold the 200X. Had a long break from riding in the 12 yrs I lived there. A buddy and I did take the MSF course at Hanscom AFB, but at that time, licence endorsement was not part of the deal. So I didn't ride again until I moved back to central PA in 2002, took the MSF here and got my M stamp, and my Brother-In-Law gave me an early '80s Honda CB125. Looked something like this:

Around 2004, a friend really needed this non-running 1982 GS750T gone from his property, so gave it to me. This is the only pic I have of the bike in the state in which I received it:

Today, its a real runner, and I think it's looking pretty swell, with a giant thanks to all the help I've gotten from the terrific folks here on the GSR!:

Rich
                                1982 GS 750TZ
                                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
                                X