No announcement yet.

Bike useage vs your age...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate how it has fallen politically, but I do love that country.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

1) how do you use your bike mainly?
      2) how old are you?

1. I use my 850L for pleasure, my work commute, and to run errands. Anytime the weather permits and I don't have to carry lots of stuff with me, I will ride. I've never ventured further than 100 miles or so at a time, since I've been slowly catching it up on neglected maintenance from previous owners. It's getting close to being ready for a road trip though! Only a few main things left on the list, then I'd trust it to go anywhere.

2. I'll be 26 in July.
      - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
      - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
        I can relate to so much of what you wrote. Of course, crank HP is not rear wheel horsepower, and factory "measurements" are really just claims. Optimistic would be a very kind way to describe them. The owner's manual of my 1973 Z1 Kawasaki claimed "standing start 1/4 mile - 12.0 seconds." Reality was 12.6 on a good day.

I've never ridden Honda's famous six, but I'll never forget seeing/hearing one with 6-into-6 open headers. On the street.
        factory 1/4 mile items claims are likely legit but you need to keep in mind it was set at sea level at optimum conditions with an expert rider.

The honda six when dialed in is unbelievably smooth I never tire of it. Easy revving, steady acceleration, six into six pipes drowning out any sensible thoughts in my head to back off. I love my 84 GSX1150e equally it's just different, the torque is addictive( even more once I have a big bore kit). It's like having two kids you love them both but they're very different.
        1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
          The honda six when dialed in is unbelievably smooth...
          Talking about the BMW, Cycle World said that the in line six might be the perfect configuration for a bike engine: it was so naturally smooth that it needed no balancers.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Six cylinders on a motorcycle just seems like too much. Now by too much, of course I mean perfect, unless you're Allen Milyard and it's only half as much as you need.

I always thought the Guzzi layout made a lot of sense for an air cooled bike. I had a BMW R75/5 and R51/2 and always worried about those big jugs hanging down haha. Guzzi just seemed to solve that 'problem' nicely. Another favorite engine - I took a spin on a Tiger 955i triple about 15 years back, when I had my '82 GPz1100. Similar grunt and power, and I really liked it except it was styled like a lozenge. I found it interesting how they really felt the same through the revs.

1) I'm 59
            2) I crawl like a viper through these suburban streets

Talking about the BMW, Cycle World said that the in line six might be the perfect configuration for a bike engine: it was so naturally smooth that it needed no balancers.
            Last edited by oldGSfan; 02-09-2021, 12:21 AM.
            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

That's interesting. I've only ridden a couple of Triumph triples, but they felt quite different from I4s.
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                Six cylinders on a motorcycle just seems like too much. Now by too much, of course I mean perfect...

2) I crawl like a viper through these suburban streets
                When I was a teenager, I was slightly intimidated by the girth of the CB750...how much the left side of the engine extended out.

Searching for some prey to sink those turbo fangs into. Sorry, that's Mister Turbo.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I'm 63, been riding since I was 20. This is the first year I had to put the bikes up for the winter. We moved to the mountains and have snow here. It sucks. It seemed that almost every year I was riding more. I had a regular group ride that I led. I also was teaching new riders how to improve. I cannot wait until spring. I'm also starting my very first season of Supermoto racing this coming year.

Mad
                  83 GS750E
                  2006 ZX14
                  2004 KTM 450 EXC
                  2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

When it was new it was so smooth with the oem pipes and helmet on you got no sense that it was running. Sometimes I'd forget I'd already started it and hit the start button again, I learned to check the tach first after that. 43 years later it's considerably noisier but still silky smooth.

Comment

When I was a teenager, I was slightly intimidated by the girth of the CB750...how much the left side of the engine extended out.

Searching for some prey to sink those turbo fangs into. Sorry, that's Mister Turbo.
                      I hear that a lot about the cbx but it's an illusion, it's only 3/4' wider than my GSX1150

Comment

To me, the CBx is the single most desirable Japanese motorcycle ever made.
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                          To me, the CBx is the single most desirable Japanese motorcycle ever made.
                          See, if that bike were in my living room, I wouldn't get much TV watching accomplished. And if anyone ever tried to cover up that engine in the name of aerodynamics, they'd see how aerodynamic my foot was going up their rear.

Comment

See, if that bike were in my living room, I wouldn't get much TV watching accomplished. And if anyone ever tried to cover up that engine in the name of aerodynamics, they'd see how aerodynamic my foot was going up their rear.
                            I met a another owner when I was out on mine in 2019. His father had passed and he had inherited a mint '79 that his father had on display in his basement for the past 25-30 years. He asked if I was interested in buying it for $10k(hell ya) he gave me his phone number which I immediately lost. I could've doubled my money in a week, if not a lot more if I spent the time to market it properly. I'd heard a local rumour years earlier of someone having a mint '79 on display in his home but thought it was just a myth.

Comment

Yep CBX, very sought after & high dollar vintage bikes, no wonder. I've always thought the "79" red & black CBX is one of the, or is the, prettiest bike ever put in a showroom & engineering ahead of all the others. Hard to explain how the CBX could be this big & massive while appearing so sleek & sporty, those descriptions just don't go together. For me, they were "OK" for most anything but I don't remember anything they were the best at other than looks & the intimidating sound of a CBX with an open 6 into 1 exhaust, sure sounded fast.
                              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

The smoothness of the acceleration, the amazing aesthetics of the motor, and that incredible sound, all come together to make the CBx a pinnacle. There is no other Japanese bike I find more desirable.
                                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                                1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                                X