Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike useage vs your age...

Hi all,

I am 61 years old now. I got my driver's license when I was 16, and for the first six years afterwards I got around exclusively on a bike (my first one was a Yamaha 90 Enduro!). Back then, I took myself where ever I needed to go on my bike and going anywhere was an adventure. After a while, getting around on a bike was "just how I did things". But now - all these years later - I'm finding that riding in town to run errands is a chore.

The bike I've used so far is my '81 Honda CB900 Custom that I bought almost a year ago. It's a beautiful bike and I get compliments on it pretty regularly, but it's big and heavy and not very well-suited for stop-and-go traffic. When I finally have my '81 GS850G up and running correctly, I don't expect it's going to be much different. I have enjoyed the Honda very much for short jaunts out of town on nice days, on lightly-traveled roads.

So I have two poll questions:

1) how do you use your bike mainly?
    2) how old are you?

Feedback is always appreciated!

Scott

two poll questions:

1) how do you use your bike mainly?
    2) how old are you?

2) I'm 44. I got my first motorcycle 8.5 years ago.
    1) I'm on #4 now, recently operational. I was non-running for the last 3 years. I use the bike if I have somewhere to go, especially if it's between 2 and, say, 100 miles, and I don't have to have much stuff with me. If I visit a church member or visit someone in the hospital or go to a meeting, if it's not raining, sure I'll ride.
    If I have a week-long event somewhere and it's 100-400 miles away I might slap a duffel bag on the rack. But I never ride to work. Because I live next to my workplace
    "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

#1 - I use my GS bikes for pleasure use only (to have the cheap collector plate insurance in BC, Canada you can't use the bike for work).

#2 - 48 years young
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

49, been riding dirt bikes since I was 12 and on the street since I was 18. I ride to work once a week and then ride most Saturdays. I most enjoy long rides out of town, across the state or to California, New Mexico or Colorado.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

#1 I use my bike for a mix of fun and commuting to work. My wife also recently started riding with as well, and she loves it

#2 I'm 27 and this is my second bike. I got my license 5 years ago.

Brent

Comment

1) If I didn't have to carry so much test equipment and occasionally have to pick up or deliver a large item, I would use my bike for work. So, ... mainly for pleasure. Down to the corner for a gallon of milk is not out of the question. Meeting someone two states over for coffee is not out of the question. Always a pleasure, though.

2) Older than you. Got a motorcycle endorsement on my license in 1975,

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Started riding at 16 and now 66. Bought my first bike in '71and have not missed a year since. Riding has always been just for pleasure and for a few of my younger years when I didn't need a car for work I only owned a motorcycle.
              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I'm 66 now and have been riding legally for 50 years. Always been a city guy, no dirt bikes in my past.
                I bought larger and heavier road bikes progressively until around 2009 when the guys at AZBeemers introduced me to Dual Sport riding and I bought an 800cc GS. That is the single, most all around competent bike I've ever owned!! That same year I bought a ZZR600 sport bike and used it for all my in town riding (in place of my R1100RT). A hand injury in 2010 made riding anything over 400 lbs a struggle and I stepped down (size) again. I now have a 2001 Bonneville and a 1979 Suzuki GS425. My riding experience has not suffered one bit from downsizing but I won't be doing any 600 mile days again!!
                I averaged 20,000 miles per year in AZ, the Michigan riding season is shorter and I'm doing around 7,000 per year here. Lots of aimless wandering and local commutes. I just plain enjoy riding (and I'm single).
                Last edited by smilinbrad; 04-28-2017, 02:24 AM.

Comment

I am 56 now and I started at 7 years old on a Honda Z50. I will ride every single day that the weather permits above -10 Celsius, snow and ice are a no go for me. Round trip to work is 50+ kilometers, from March till December usually. Motorcycle license for the road (legally) @ 16 on my birthday and I have not stopped since. I have only done 250 - 500 mile trips ( To the cabin mostly ) so far. I am counting down the days till I pull the plug from work and I am then able to travel when and where I want to go. I will always use the bike over the truck any day.
                  1981 GS 1000GLX.
                  1981 GS 1000G.
                  1981 GS 650GLX.
                  1975 TS 185.
                  1972 100. Kawasaki.
                  1968 100. Suzuki.
                  1970 Z 50. Honda.
                  1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
                  1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

I am 54, I started riding when I was 6 years old. My father had a small back yard bike shop as I was growing up. I have had numerous dirt bikes as a kid and many street bikes since. I still have the first bike I put on the road . Bought it new in 83' Suzuki Gs750Ed. Last year between the 3 bikes That I currently have on the road I managed a little over 15 k miles
                    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I'm working on getting my bike back on the road; she's been sitting as of July 2014.

Since I owned my GS, I've used it for work (while in Alamogordo, NM). Before my road trip, I mainly rode for seat time. I got my endorsement in 2011 -- I'm late to the party.

I turn 51 in June. One year, I started a birthday thread for someone who's birthday was near mine. Got called out but HEY! I like celebrating birthdays.

Ed
                      Last edited by GSXR7ED; 04-28-2017, 08:20 AM.
                      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

61 years old. Started at 14 on a Honda Cub, license at 16. Dirt bikes, dual sports early on...than Harleys for 20+ years. Drag raced a 9 sec GS1100E for 7-8 years, and finally street bikes. Have four right now, see my sig.

When I was a teenager, I road everywhere, as it was my only transportation.
                        In my Harley years, I mostly road for pleasure, but would run errands/short trips, since I didn't wear a helmet or gear
                        During my racing years, I didn't ride on the street at all, (which was very common among the racers I knew).
                        Since then, and since I became ATGATT, it is strictly pleasure. I don't gear up to run to the store. If I gear up, it is to go ride for fun.
                        During the past three years, I've really cut the miles, due to two wrecks and heart surgery, but since moving to Eastern Tennessee, with fantastic roads only minutes away, I've started to get back in the groove, riding at least once or twice a week.

For those of us moving into the fourth quarter of life, physical and mental activity are an important key to a healthy existence. If done right, motorcycling can fill that role quite nicely.
                        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

1) Got my endorsement in '76. Rode dad's 450 Honda until he sold it. I bought a Suzuki in '87. Rode it for everything but mostly to work. Sold it to raise kids (wife didn't want to leave orphans) and did without for 20 years.
                          Bought the 1100's within the last 5 years and use them for everything except hauling wood.

2) 57
                          Alan

sigpic
                          Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                          Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                          Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                          Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

1) Did not own a bike till I turned 50. Now on my third bike since then. Started with a Vulcan 800, but totaled that after 3000 miles. Left Turner got me. Did not know if I would get back on. Bought the gs and ride it mostly to work and trips up to 200 miles. Have ridden the gs 30,000 miles since then and the honda about the same. 2) 57
                            83 gs850
                            07 vtx1300c

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                              61 years old. Started at 14 on a Honda Cub, license at 16. Dirt bikes, dual sports early on...than Harleys for 20+ years. Drag raced a 9 sec GS1100E for 7-8 years, and finally street bikes. Have four right now, see my sig.

When I was a teenager, I road everywhere, as it was my only transportation.
                              In my Harley years, I mostly road for pleasure, but would run errands/short trips, since I didn't wear a helmet or gear
                              During my racing years, I didn't ride on the street at all, (which was very common among the racers I knew).
                              Since then, and since I became ATGATT, it is strictly pleasure. I don't gear up to run to the store. If I gear up, it is to go ride for fun.
                              During the past three years, I've really cut the miles, due to two wrecks and heart surgery, but since moving to Eastern Tennessee, with fantastic roads only minutes away, I've started to get back in the groove, riding at least once or twice a week.

For those of us moving into the fourth quarter of life, physical and mental activity are an important key to a healthy existence. If done right, motorcycling can fill that role quite nicely.
                              Great post. In regards to that final point, it is more important every year to stay fit. I was a competitive powerlifter in high school and then off and on in college (I got into competitive tug-of-war and fencing in university). Too many injuries from that, but as the docs who looked at my recent ACL tear noted, my bone structure is super solid, with no hint of arthritis. Staying active off the bike is critical. I am still in the gym three days a week, and hike and mountain bike on weekends. For motorcycling, hip and knee stability, along with core strength, are essential.
                              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                              X