Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Bike useage vs your age...

Quote Originally Posted by rphillips View Post
    Yep CBX, very sought after & high dollar vintage bikes, no wonder. I've always thought the "79" red & black CBX is one of the, or is the, prettiest bike ever put in a showroom & engineering ahead of all the others. Hard to explain how the CBX could be this big & massive while appearing so sleek & sporty, those descriptions just don't go together. For me, they were "OK" for most anything but I don't remember anything they were the best at other than looks & the intimidating sound of a CBX with an open 6 into 1 exhaust, sure sounded fast.
    Likely the most valuable and collectible if you could one is a Black '79 only sold in Germany. I've never seen one but have had other cbx owners who have confirm it's not a myth. Some of the prices being paid in overseas markets for the six are staggering.
    Back in the late 70's bike superiority was fleeting, whenever one of the manufacturers came with the newest best in class it was overtaken by another very quickly. In '79 the CBX was the fastest production bike made, 11.36 in the 1/4. The next year Honda voluntarily reduced the CBX's power by 5hp and Suzuki GS1100 became the new King.
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

KEITH KRAUSE is offline Forum Guru Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Angeles Forest, So.Calif./Hurricane, Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by wyly View Post
    Likely the most valuable and collectible if you could one is a Black '79 only sold in Germany. I've never seen one but have had other cbx owners who have confirm it's not a myth. Some of the prices being paid in overseas markets for the six are staggering.
    Back in the late 70's bike superiority was fleeting, whenever one of the manufacturers came with the newest best in class it was overtaken by another very quickly. In '79 the CBX was the fastest production bike made, 11.36 in the 1/4. The next year Honda voluntarily reduced the CBX's power by 5hp and Suzuki GS1100 became the new King.
    Interesting that a manufacturer would voluntarily reduce a bikes power and allow a competitor to take the "fastest bike" crown. I wonder if the 5HP was the difference or if Suzuki had it locked up regardless?
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Retrospectively, the CBx is one of the most memorable Japanese bikes ever made. Its cool factor is untouchable. If I owned one, it would be out on the street every week.
    Last edited by GS1150Pilot; 03-20-2021 at 02:28 PM.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Baatfam is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    Retrospectively, the CBx is one of the most memorable Japanese bikes ever made. Its cool factor is untouchable.
    Ehhhhhhh.....it's OK.....Never thought about 'em much....
    Bob T.

"That which you manifest is before you." -- Enzo
    "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling
    "...for our existence to hold any value, it must end. To live meaningful lives, we must die and not return." -- Number Six

'83 GS1100E ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '99 TRIUMPH TROPHY 900 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Quote Originally Posted by Baatfam View Post
    Ehhhhhhh.....it's OK.....Never thought about 'em much....
    LOL. Lifts rock.
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Super Site Supporter

LOL. Lifts rock.
    Hahaha....

Never paid much attention to any Japanese street bike until the early 2000s.
    Dirt bikes, dual sports, and English sports cars, than Harleys, and finally my GS drag bike.
    I did have a CB200 for a while...got it from my sister...

First time I heard of a CBX was here, because of member CBXChris....before that...nada...

The only Honda I ever wanted was an Elsinore...
    Otherwise...
    Hondas equaled boring relability. But hey, that's good for eco cars and lawn mowers....
    Bob T.

"I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling
    "...for our existence to hold any value, it must end. To live meaningful lives, we must die and not return." -- Number Six

Super Site Supporter

I could add, that I have looked at them in detail since, and really think...OK.

Seriously, the '82/83 GS1100E is one of the best looking bikes ever....far ahead of the CBX.
    Bob T.

My brother's first street bike was the '82 CB900f I have in slow disassembly for restomodding, but by the time he bought it, I had been working at a Honda (automotive) garage whose owner had a CBx with headers, jetted right. Nothing I had ever seen on two wheels had such visual or aural appeal. I only rode one CBx, but it was a beautiful bike, and really is about the only Japanese street bike I still want.

~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

I think the CBx is much more visually and viscerally appealing than the GS, but the GS1100E was pretty.
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Super Site Supporter

I think the CBx is much more visually and viscerally appealing than the GS, but the GS1100E was pretty.
    It really goes back to our youth. What we saw, what we read, who we hung with, what we actually got to drive/ride...

That's not a bad thing, at least for me...

I do have a Honda...One of the most popular and most recognizable ones ever made...
    And I like it, because I had one when I was 15 years old...
    Bob T.