Bike useage vs your age...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Any tips on how to stay in the saddle for a few more years appreciated.
    Other than getting a younger wife?

Buy new tires/tyres..

Nothing gives more confidence than the feeling of assurance that you get when riding on new rubber.

Of course, a younger wife might also want you to try on new "rubber"
    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Wishful thinking

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
        Any tips on how to stay in the saddle for a few more years appreciated.
        I got a personal trainer 5 years ago and started learning about how to work out effectively...I lost fat and put on muscle....I got into dead lifting...lots of weight training....cardio too but as you get older you loose muscle and you need that with riding. I daily stretch. And another game changer for me was joining a yoga class every Monday...in fact I just home from it. I workout 3 days a week and always am stretching.
        3 years ago I was hit by a truck and broke 17 ribs, collar bone, collapsed lung, broken hip and a broken finger. My doctor said my injuries would have been worse if I had not been in good shape. And he said my recovery would be quicker because I knew my body and how to get strong again.
        I turn 58 in a month and average over 30,000kms a year. I also ride off road on my dr650 and I can do that all year avoiding long lay offs from riding keeping my riding skills sharp.

I never stepped inside a gym until I was 53 years old and I want to ride as long as I'm on this earth.
        No signature

Comment

Physical maintenance is essential for you bike, but it is also essential for human bodies, especially as they age.
          Keep yours in good condition.

Maintaining a positive attitude can do wonders for you, at any stage of life.

Yes, I guess one of the offered suggestions may sound like wishful thinking, but they both worked for me.
          Last edited by argonsagas; 11-07-2023, 08:49 AM.
          "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
          Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Agreed with what Trevor said -- get professional help to learn how to maintain your body. Keep moving. Move, move, move. Stretch and go slowly.

You do have to be careful to find someone who knows what they're doing with "experienced" folks who want to stay more active than usual. It may cost some money if it's not related to a specific injury or illness. Look for people with sports rehab experience; your goals are far beyond just hobbling to the toilet.

Here in the states, you can also find resources through AARP, local senior centers, YMCAs, etc. for helping you stay active, maintain and improve balance, etc. Water workouts are great for maintaining strength, for example. I'm sure other countries have similar.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              Agreed with what Trevor said -- get professional help to learn how to maintain your body. Keep moving. Move, move, move. Stretch and go slowly.

You do have to be careful to find someone who knows what they're doing with "experienced" folks who want to stay more active than usual. It may cost some money if it's not related to a specific injury or illness. Look for people with sports rehab experience; your goals are far beyond just hobbling to the toilet.

Here in the states, you can also find resources through AARP, local senior centers, YMCAs, etc. for helping you stay active, maintain and improve balance, etc. Water workouts are great for maintaining strength, for example. I'm sure other countries have similar.
              Move move is right!
              I used to work at a place called the Sobering Centre....it's a place where people in active addiction and homeless (you had to be high or drunk to access the service) you could come in and sleep it off...too a lot of pressure off the police and cells. Anyway, we would do their vitals when they came in and I was shocked at the blood pressure readings I would get. These were people that looked very sick...I asked a nurse how in the world would a lot of these people be 120/80 with what they were going through....she said "they walk miles and miles everyday...they are always moving".
              That really stuck with me
              No signature

Comment

I'm 67 and I got a part time job 3 days a week wrestling new bathtubs and showers to customers. Some of these are over 200lbs and I have to deadlift one end of them off the floor often times. When they interviewed me for the job they asked me why I wanted it and I told them because I want to stay in shape and it's hard for me to keep motivated to exercise. It works for me and my wife and I hike a lot as well. I feel totally confident on the bike and any other activities as well. I won't be ready to go for a few decades yet and I think you have to keep moving to stay ahead of the reaper. I always remember my Mom telling me that some people are old when they're 40. My neighbor is ten years older than I am and he still takes his BMW on multi-day trips as well. On the bike I always work on my balance and skills as well just to make sure I'm not deteriorating.
                1986 1150EF
                2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Working...
                X