No announcement yet.

Bike useage vs your age...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

52 next week. Riding since I was 17. My first was a 1983 Suzuki GS450L. Rode that into my early 20's and sold the bike. I didn't start riding again until 2014 when my uncle gave me his 1981 Suzuki GS650GL. I restored it and rode almost daily. I then found the bike of my dreams from when I was a 16 year old - a 1982 Suzuki GSX750S Katana. Restored it last winter and rode it almost daily. I also got my wife into motorcycling last year. She rides along with me on her 2015 Honda CBR300RA.

Cheers, and bring on spring!

Comment

71 and still riding. I slacked off a good bit after my knee replacement about a year ago but I plan on making up for lost time since that is not a problem any more.
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
        I'm 60 and have been riding since I was 8 years old. Still working, so I only get about 20K miles a year on the 4 bikes that I own. I've found that I seem to be enjoying the wrenching on the bikes, during the colder months, more than getting all the cold-weather gear on to go for a ride. Still enjoy the 3-4 extended bike trips (1,000-2,500 mile) that I take every summer! I need to get the Suzuki out to one of the meets this year! Need to meet some of the great folks on this forum!
        Sheesh 400 miles every week ain't bad considering you work full time.
        No signature

Comment

#1 TOY every so often I ride.

#2 45.
          The GS toys:
          79 GS1000L 1st bike sold many moons ago...
          78 GS550
          81 GS650G The son's
          82 GS650GL parts bike
          85 GS700ES in progress
          85 gs700E parts bike
          82 GS1000GL in pieces
          80 GS1100L in progress

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
            Sheesh 400 miles every week ain't bad considering you work full time.
            Trevor, I managed that when I was less than half your age. If I came home from work in summer and it was still light out, I didn't know what to do with myself when my Z1 was getting a rebuild. I wanted to tear my hair out.

So I got some running shoes and made it up to 10k (at a slow pace). Or I rode around in my convertible Z28 Pace Car Replica. Nothing is like riding a motorcycle. Not even a Grateful Dead concert!
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

1) I try to use my bike as a DD. But I live in Florida and this doesn't always work. With the new to me GS750 waiting on repair parts I'll jump on the Sportster and ride it in and around St. Augustine and from Daytona Beach to Jacksonville. She's tired and getting noisy so I dont take her far from home (why I bought the GS). I am anticipating using the GS for longer in-state rides and then reaching out into the mountainous regions of the Carolina's/Tennessee as well as the Ozark Mountains.

1a) From June '12 to early '15 I only owned motorcycles and put close to 100,000 miles on 3 different scoots. I spent from '15 to '18 living the Jeep life. Dec ' 18 I've stepped back into the 2 wheeled world

1b) In June '12, I moved from Springfield, MO to northeast FL on a wing and a prayer. I brought my life with me on the back of my '88 FZR1000...

1c) One of my planned trips is the Auto Train from Sanford, FL to Lorton, VA and then either sight see back to St. Augustine or IBA my way back to the Keys LOL

1d) I have a backpack that doubles as a grocery bag... :-)

2) 51 years young and I've been riding since before I got my D.L. I know the 2 wheel life... and I love it !!!
              Current:
              1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
              1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
              1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
              1998 Chevy C2500
              1999 Rav4

Comment

Started riding mini bikes on dirt roads at 11. First bike was a Honda SL125 and endorsement was at 16. I'm 61. Ride as much as possible. Daily driver is a '15 Versys. Between all my bikes I probably put on 10k+ a year. In Mn. we get 6-7 months of riding. Non of my bikes are garage queens and I ride what ever my mood suits me. Just sold My 97 Triumph 900 Sprint to a good friend. Its my 3rd one and I've put over 100k on them. Highly recommended. I will probably be buried with one of them! My GS's keep me busy putzing in the garage and are a pure joy to ride with the modern updates
                Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

The Sportster has me riding more often than any bike in recent memory. I enjoy its ergonomics, the fuel injection and belt drive, and the feel of the bike as it goes down the road. I ride to work (50 miles round-trip) 3-4 days a week and we take 3-500 mile weekend trips once a month.
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

First motorized ride was a 1960's-era Sears & Roebuck mini-bike with a 3.5hp Briggs and Stratton engine. I started riding it when I was 8 years old. Looked like this:

Next was a 1980 KDX175, which I bought with saved up hay-baling money when I was 13. I traded it in on a used, two year-old YZ490 when I was 16. By that time, I was also riding my uncle's 1979 GS1000E occasionally to get used to "heavy street bikes".

I bought a brand new red/white 1985 GS700E in the fall of 1984. My uncle loaned me $1,000 that I paid back by continuing to work on his farm. Total price out the door was about $2,900.

I still have that bike. I did a frame-off refurb of it from 2002-2005, when it became a blue/white GS700ES. Many here have seen it over the years at the Brown County and old KY Natural Bridge and WI Fennimore rallies.

To answer the OP's questions:

1. I use motorcycles purely for recreation. I wrench as much as ride, maybe even more.

2. I was born the summer of 1967.
                    sigpic

SUZUKI:
                    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

1) I use motorcycles as my primary vehicles as long as it's not snowing too hard and what I need to haul will fit. Groceries, lumber, car parts, chainsaws, tires, welders, kitty litter, etc. My V-Strom with Givi hard bags gets most of the two wheeled pickup work, and if you take one or more of the bags off, you can strap some pretty unbelievable things to the racks. There are times I go a couple of weeks without driving.

My office is seven miles of city streets from my house. The one concession I have made in the last year or two is that I'll sometimes drive to work if it's actively raining when I leave. There's little reward in a ride to work, and when the risk rises with rain it's not really worth it. And almost every time I drive, I'll spend a few minutes that evening wondering where the hell I put my helmet and jacket... oh yeah.

Still, I think riding to work if you can is worthwhile; it keeps your skills fresh and active, and you stay in tune with your bikes and what they need. I feel odd if I'm off the bike a week. I don't know how people manage who only ride for infrequent big trips. Even if you can't commute, ride often and ride to all the ordinary places you need to go while doing ordinary things. It keeps you sharp.

I also make a point of parking out in front of my office. I used to park in back, but I think there's a certain value in demonstrating that motorcycles are normal, everyday vehicles. I've had cars broken into twice at my office, but no one has ever touched a motorcycle. It's fairly obvious there's nothing to steal, plus they're all far from pristine.

Same for grocery store, lumberyard, etc. I park in the lot, in a legal space. I refuse to be one of those douchebags who parks on a store's sidewalk like it's a bicycle. It's a tax-paying, road-going useful vehicle, not a bicycle or toy, and it gets a parking space.

By the same token, I made it a point when I was injured to ride to my orthopedic surgeon's appointments. Despite the "NO MOTORCYCLES" sign at the entrance to the parking garage, I never received the slightest bit of static or trouble. Never had any trouble at any place with a "NO MOTORCYCLES" sign, for that matter. What they really mean is "NO LOUD MOTORCYCLES".

2) I'm 51.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I turned 63 June 21 and still ride as much as I can, mostly on whatever bike I have found for sale at a decent price.

Started riding at twelve, before that rode mini bikes and go carts. (Rode horses from age four to 20; at least on a bike it is, usually, your fault if you fall off).

My dad was crazed that I never get a bike, but before I left home at seventeen, I already had a couple, that I bought with my own $$$.
                        (At sixteen, in 1929, my dad crashed a friends harley on a gravel road, the first and only time he ever rode.)

So far, I have ridden, through a number of states, mostly by myself, with no major crashes, knock on wood.)

My street bikes have ranged from a Honda 50 to a Ninja 1000. Though I have ridden friend's touring bikes, I have never had one.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by gsgeezer View Post
                          I turned 63 June 21 and still ride as much as I can, mostly on whatever bike I have found for sale at a decent price.

Started riding at twelve, before that rode mini bikes and go carts. (Rode horses from age four to 20; at least on a bike it is, usually, your fault if you fall off).

My dad was crazed that I never get a bike, but before I left home at seventeen, I already had a couple, that I bought with my own $$$.
                          (At sixteen, in 1929, my dad crashed a friends harley on a gravel road, the first and only time he ever rode.)

So far, I have ridden, through a number of states, mostly by myself, with no major crashes, knock on wood.)

My street bikes have ranged from a Honda 50 to a Ninja 1000. Though I have ridden friend's touring bikes, I have never had one.
                          A GS can be a pretty darn good touring bike. However, keep an eye out for a Kawasaki Concours. The earlier C10 ones can be had for as little as 500 bucks, to maybe 2500 for a darn nice one. The later C14 bikes, based on the Ninja ZX14, are starting around 4k. With a $300 flash, 152 rear wheel HP and mine will pull my GS1100e pretty badly. With bags on. Only downside is the 2+ day valve adjustment where the cams have to come out.... Mine is still waiting.
                          sigpic
                          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                          1983 GS1100e
                          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                          1980 GS1260
                          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
                            I have two poll questions:

1) how do you use your bike mainly?
                            2) how old are you?

Feedback is always appreciated!

Scott

I live in a rather large (& RAPIDLY GROWING) Midwestern/Great Lakes capital city of Columbus, Ohio, so traffic is quite heavy during "rush hour" (afternoon rush "hour"=2+hours), as well as anytime/anywhere there is any road construction... + a half a million moron drivers, and equally as many bars and night life spots.... so I don't necessarily ride in the city heavily, although I do occasionally...and the GS750 8V with it's long duration camshafts just begs to be opened up at every stop&go, as they are very tame at low rpm's, and increasingly screaming monsters with every 1000rpm increase above 4,500rpm up to 10,000rpm+... Does not lend itself to respectable riding habits with certain types of pilots at the helm...

I also have had a company work truck/van for the past 15 years, so motorcycle commuting has not been a possibility. Before that, I was a bicycle mechanic and ALWAYS commuted on bicycle to work.

Living here, particularly centrally located just outside of downtown and near several major highways, puts me only 40 minutes or so from the edge of the glaciated plains bordering the beginnings of the Appalachian foothills... This lends itself to some INCREDIBLE riding terrain that can only be topped by serious mountain elevations and steep grades and 150-180 degree switchbacks... seriously some of the best types of roads terrain can be found within an hour or two of my house, & I have been a lifelong adrenaline junkie...
                            So most of my entire riding career, & looking ahead well beyond my current 41 years old, is seeking out remote rural twisty blacktop for an escape, thrills, freedom....

My motorcycles are primarily a source of escape from the city to the remote twisty rollercoaster roads in the desolate Appalachian foothills & Appalachian/Allegheny/Smoky/etc mountains throughout Southeastern/central-Eastern Ohio, the entire state of West Virginia (esp.the Northeastern Panhandle area), the western edges of Virginia bordering with West Virginia, Eastern Tennessee, Western North Carolina...
                            As well as future trips across the abyss, err...I mean, Great Plains (boring) until I hit the Colorado Rockies to visit some old friends there and the mountains outside of Albuquerque NM...
                            I seek out twisty roads as if it were a severe additction... (well, it pretty much IS!)

From the very 1st time I was on 2 wheels on my own, I'll NEVER forget...that 1st time @ 4 yrs old when my dad let go of the seat of the bicycle after coaching me for the 1st time without training wheels... I was literally bombing down a small grassy hill in our backyard within a half hour!
                            The thrill of being on 2 wheels never faded. By 14, I had picked up BMX stunt riding, well into my 20's heavily (until some hospital visits which I remember very little of!). I still ride a cyclocross/road commuter bike heavily, and occasional BMX and mountain biking at 41yrs old...
                            By 25 I was severely lusting after '69-78 CB750's and other classic Japanese bikes. Almost bought a cafe'd out Royal Enfield 750cc Intercepter for $1100-ish spur of the moment at 26 or 27.
                            Then soon was severely lusting after a GS400 with a GS450-500 engine, GS1100E swingarm, Kawasaki hubs and wider 18" DID rims and dual disc Kawasaki KZ fork... a non-running project race bike never completed by somewhat of a local legend.
                            Raised by a mechanic father, I fortunately started wrenching on a tough & wild young 23 yr old lady's 2nd bike, a total basketcase 77 GS550B... This bike made a lot of sense to me, (& altho she bewildered me at times, she also made a lot of sense to me!), & the GS had the best bones of any that I had explored to date. Soon I had a 77 Suzuki GS750B for $700, running, titled, needed carbs cleaned and re-jetted for the MAC 4-into-1, + tires... & the young lady was by my side on and off for the rest of my life to date, married within 3 yrs! The rest was history! I quickly was exceeding the limits of the 1st gen GS single 295mm front brake's old school caliper, and finding the ragged edges of the limits of the tires and suspension...

I gave up musclecars 100% (except for wrenching with my dad on his, and my '71 RS/SS396 Camaro that I sold him), as bikes are far faster, (Japanese bikes are...) far cheaper, and far more fun than speeding on 4 wheels! Got an old '62 GMC panel truck (work/utility/delivery version of a Chevy Suburban), a VW Rabbit turbodiesel mini pickup truck (46mpg!), and now a Suzuki Samurai 4x4 + Toyota drivetrain & soon VW turbodiesel engine... heavy utility purposes only for the 4 wheeled machines...

The last 4+ years I finally caved in to coworkers' persistent nagging and my younger brother's dirt biking, and got myself a 2 stroke Kawasaki KDX trail bike...within 4 minutes of my first trail ride at Wayne National Forest OHV trails, I WAS FOREVER HOOKED...2 stroke dirtbikes...lightweight, nimble, rowdy as can be (they don't like to putz around & go slow, they ONLY LIKE TO ACCELLERATE!)... 40mph in the woods feels like 100mph down a crowded urban street... what a thrill! I recommend enduro trail riding to anyone who has a thirst for speed... the speed is much lower than what it takes to get kicks on a street bike, so the risk is less although crashes are a very regular thing, but you are generally always very geared up, and most crashes are low speed drops on rugged/steep terrain...If you're not a pro and you never crash in the woods, you aren't pushing it & having as much fun as the rest of us, or aren't riding the best stuff in the hills/ravines/mountains!
                            I HIGHLY recommend trail riding on a 190-270lb(max, small cc 4 stroke territory) bike for anyone who has any decent riding areas near them. We drive an hour to get to the free State Forest trails or the $35/yr National Forest trails. WELL WORTH the drive for the 5 or 7 hours of exhausting fun... I highly recommend a 2 stroke enduro (non-motocross) bike like a Suzuki PE175250/400 or 90's RMX250, Kawasaki KDX175 or 86+ KDX200/220 / 1990's KDX250 (like the RMX - a big slug but can REALLY be livened up with re-jetting, thinner head gasket, exh.pipe, re-valved susp.), Yamaha IT175/200/250, late 90's-early '00's KTM EX-C 200/250 or the newer XC-W 200/250/300 or same models in Husqvarna badging, Yamaha YZ250 MX bike converted to a woods bike with a heavier flywheel, woods exhaust (torque), and re-valved suspension, or any moder Euro 2 stroke like GAS GAS, Beta, Ossa, etc...

& now I have trouble counting the amount of motorcycles and dirtbikes I have, or could "assemble" out of parts and spare titled frames...
                            pallet racking with approximately 17 spare Suzuki GS engines - a few of the 17 are Suzuki PE250 dirtbike engines, and a Kawasaki KDX200/220 spare...
                            an 8V chain drive GS of every size range starting at GS400/425(489cc soon!), GS550's(673cc, & 740cc in progress), GS750's, GS1000, Rickman CR frame with GS1100 engine mounts and 2 spare GS1000 engines... 77 PE250B enduro dirtbike, 74 Rickman 250cc dirtbike, Kawasaki KDX220 utility trail basher&thrasher...
                            Last edited by Chuck78; 08-15-2019, 12:29 PM.
                            '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                            '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                            '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                            '79 GS425stock
                            PROJECTS:
                            '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                            '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                            '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                            '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                            '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

I'm 60 now, I got a Rockford "Tora" when I was about 10. It was a 60cc two stroke enduro. I next got a TM125, a TS400. Then a Honda 750-4, Kaw H2 two stroke 750 triple, and then Z1. I had an RD400 sweet little bike. In the early 80's I got an 80 GS1100E and I have been riding GS1100E's every since. There were a lot more bikes along the way, I repaired, and rebuilt a lot of bikes and sold them. I have a 3 four wheelers my favorite is 4WD 400cc 2 stroke Polaris sportsman, it's great. I don't use bikes for everyday transport, I think my psyche wants to never make a bike mundane. Riding to me is always a treat, and the new has never worn off of riding. I hope it never does.
                              1981 GS1100E
                              1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                                I expect so. The GSR in most every way is unlike any other motorcycle site. It's more like a fraternity than an internet site. heh There is also a blatant lack of squids, ricky racers, bling boys and poseurs here. LOL
                                I get what you're saying exactly, although calling it a fraternity has other implications that imply exactly what you were saying it was not! A bunch of immature young squids getting rowdy and being belligerent, & behaving in a very unethical manner at the expense of others... And then participating in charitable activities on the other end of the spectrum to balance out their rowdiness... I've been around far too many fraternity boys, having spent the last 20 years living within 1 to 10 miles of the largest college campus in the United States. "Beware of the white hats" was the general sentiment amongst those of us who were tired of witnessing their debauchery
                                Last edited by Chuck78; 09-04-2019, 09:18 AM.
                                '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                                '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                                '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                                '79 GS425stock
                                PROJECTS:
                                '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                                '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                                '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                                '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                                '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
                                X