Bike useage vs your age...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe Garfield View Post
    The older I get, the newer and faster my bikes get.
    Danger!
    After shattering my kneecap and having a miserable recovery time, and being into my forties now, I decided I really should put a cap on the fast bike thing. A fairly stock 8-valve gs750 goes plenty fast enough for me, although I do desire a little bit more at times, it is very much faster than anyone needs to reasonably travel, but I cannot resist!
    Fellow GSR member Norm jokingly said when I was quizzing people about what engine I should put in this old school Rickman race chassis, that I should put a Honda CB200 engine into the chassis formerly occupied by a Kawasaki Z1 engine & prepped for a GS1100E engine, "that way everyone has a chance to catch up to you in the twisties" he said!

Having a little extra low-rpm torque would be nice, as the early 400, 550, & 750 had high duration high RPM camshafts, where the 650, 850, and 1000 had cams that were a little more street friendly with slightly lesser duration. The high rpm longer duration cams translate into the 2 stroke syndrome - "I just can't help it, the bike just wants to go fast!" They begged to be revved up higher into the RPM range and be ridden more rowdy, as they aren't terribly satisfying at 3000 or 4000 RPM...

A long time ago I came to the realization of what makes a very fast bike. I deemed the approximate 100 horsepower mark as an EXTREMELY fast bike on anything that is lighter than the average Harley-Davidson clunker.
    Last night a gentleman with more a significant amount of more seniority on this Earth than myself, jokingly was whining about how he was going from a 150 or 160 horsepower bike and stepping down to a bike with only 125 horsepower...
    I suppose the older guys that are doing sport touring really need that extra power, but I thought to myself, wow, 100 horsepower is an immense amount of power and speed capability on a two-wheeled machine, someone of that demographic I had trouble grasping the need for that much power I very seldom see anyone rocketing around like a twenty-year-old squid on a bike typically owned by those with a few more decades seniority than myself...

I still can't help but twist that throttle a lot, drag racing onto the highway every time I am on an entrance ramp, and no holds barred on the remote twisty roads in the Appalachian hills and mountains...
    It doesn't take 100 HP to ride fast!

I have several GS1000 engines here, and one GS1000, and the Rickman road racer and a GS1000 and a stroker crank and a spare stock stroke welded crankshaft and a bunch of 1100G D-port top ends...+ Yoshimura cams + Keihin CR33 smoothbores...
    I will probably build an 1120cc stroker at some point just because I have the parts, but at this point, I would probably not have gone out of my way to purchase all of this stuff with my current mindset... Which is referencing my mortality and fading youthfulness and the associated rapid healing characteristics that come with it. Even before my fall and knee surgery, I had been more of the mindset of building a very light vintage red racer type lightweight / middleweight Suzuki GS, and trying to squeeze the most power and efficiency out of a 550 / 650 and a 400 / 425 engine... But still that would mean a high revving beastly little powerhouse that wants to be ridden fast!

I think an 8v 77-79 GS750B/C/N/E with a Wiseco K844 kit, good tires, & a brake upgrade is an absolute superb all around bike... 96cc extra over stock brings more street torque to the plate...
    Although a 67mm 11:1 798cc GS750 is appealing, as the smaller pistons are a bit lighter weight and really like to spin up fast...the 77-81(82?) 8v 550's are a pretty superb bike even, after a 4-1 & K&N air filter swap & re-jetting.... GS650E (& for shafty fans, the 650G) in my opinion is one of the best all-rounder vintage bikes ever built,a potent and efficient modern piston/combustion chamber/intake runner top end design, in a more compact slightly lighter package...+dual twinpot discs... I'm building 2 77-79 550's with these top ends and adding a missing brace to the spine of the frames that the 750 got but the 400/425 & 550 did not get, as I love the 77-79 GS stylings (seat and tail) the most vs the 650's & 1000's etc

I suppose one of the less obvious sidestepped answers to my question posed above as to why people need bikes with such high horsepower, would be that perhaps some people can resist the urge to twist the throttle more than myself!

Enough ramblings for now, on to the post I would have liked/hearted if the forum had that option!
    Last edited by Chuck78; 09-04-2019, 03:42 PM.
    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
    '79 GS425stock
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Dang Chuck..... hope you're well now.
      Understood about slowing down a bit. A couple of weeks ago I ended up at the ER after falling off of my..... mountain bike. More of a precautionary move, but I still had a concussion, bruised ribs, and a bit of roadrash - nothing life changing, but a wake up call to start wearing a helmet on the human powered two wheeler.

Regarding motos.... In my 27 years of riding street, I've watched in awe the progression of performance machines. Awe in the sheer performance, and awe in the fact that my big heavy 1150 still has more then enough power to make me giggle when unleashed, and that another 50 or 60 HP coupled with a lighter machine must be insane. I dont ride at the level that you do, and the 1150 really is enough for me - great for the occasional stop light romp and plenty of power for merging / passing cars on the highway in idiot avoidance fashion. Future longer plans would include upgrading the brakes / suspension, but power is more then adequate .

As a fellow HVAC guy I feel your pain about being chained to the company van, but it does allow us to get by with one family car.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I love horsepower... The FJR makes around 140hp. When on the highway, all I have to do is think about passing a truck and I'm already by it! On the other hand, the Harley I've been riding. You have to fill out a requisition form, get it approved, make sure you have a tailwind, then with all its might go for the pass! Then hope the trucker doesn't want to race, because if he does, you are going to lose! haha😉
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

51 years old, 8 bikes atm with various levels of oomph. I got into road bikes after hearing a couple of bikes (Ducati 900ss) street racing in about 1979 or so. The sound made every hair on my body stand up. And is one of the reasons i love bikes so much today.

Comment

Originally posted by Philski View Post
            I got into road bikes after hearing a couple of bikes (Ducati 900ss) street racing in about 1979 or so. The sound made every hair on my body stand up. And is one of the reasons i love bikes so much today.
            I hear that 100%, only in my case it was and is large in line fours with 4-into-1 pipes.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Hey chuck. Clear your inbox. or send me an IM please.

Thanks Rich
              The GS toys:
              79 GS1000L 1st bike sold many moons ago...
              78 GS550
              81 GS650G The son's
              82 GS650GL parts bike
              85 GS700ES in progress
              85 gs700E parts bike
              82 GS1000GL in pieces
              80 GS1100L in progress

Comment

soon to be 67 first bike was 50yrs ago, a Solex!

I love the rush of brutal acceleration and liter bikes provide that. Riding wfo at red line living doesn't much appeal to me. I've been there only twice in 40yrs, 1st time just to see just how fast my 79 CBX would go, and the last time a year ago to see if it was still up to it, it was.

I prefer liter bikes because of the midrange torque they can provide. My latest project is coaxing an extra 15hp from my GS1150ef, if I accept factory crank measurements as accurate that should put me about 140hp. More than enough for me. There's nothing more confidence inspiring than effortless overtaking on a two lane highway with just a twist of the wrist.

Next addition to my stable may be a '74 Yamaha 250RD, small and quick(even quicker if I put 350cc jugs on it). Riding a urban small displacement bike at it's max also has a fun factor. It should be able to do the ton but that's not the goal.

I ride as often as I can making up for years when I couldn't(family stuff). When the weather is good I ride everyday 10c and up for my CBX and a bit cooler with my GS1150 since I put on hand warmers.
                Last edited by wyly; 11-27-2019, 09:12 PM.
                1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

At some point I will probably do a 1275 kit in the Sportster, but with its current modifications and tuning, it is a perfect bike in town or on the highway.
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
                    Hi all,

So I have two poll questions:

1) how do you use your bike mainly?
                    2) how old are you?

Feedback is always appreciated!

Scott
                    I’m 42, started riding when I was 21. Took a hiatus that coincided with alcoholism until about 8 years ago. Got sober, got a bike again.
                    I ride whenever I can. I like to commute on my bike. I don’t ride as much in the cold. If it’s raining I’ll take the car. Not that I don’t ride in the rain, I just try not to start trips when it’s raining. If it decides to pour after the trip is started, oh well, I’ll switch to granny mode and take it easy. Something I have started doing here in the past year is I no longer ride in Atlanta if at all possible. Traffic and distracted drivers have gotten so bad I view it as a needless risk. Especially because here in GA lane splitting is illegal and sitting in traffic just waiting on the twit behind you who is watching YouTube to rear end you is not fun!!!

Comment

Have just found an immaculate GS750 to replace my blue 750 I got new in 1979. Unfortunately left it in the middle East after touring UK, Europe and middle East where I was working at the time.

The GS750 adds to my GSX1400 and DL650xt. Have ridden motorcycles continuously since getting my licence in 1969 with more being Suzuki than everything else. Since retiring seem to average about 35000 klm yearly.

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
                        soon to be 67 first bike was 50yrs ago, a Solex!

I love the rush of brutal acceleration and liter bikes provide that. Riding wfo at red line living doesn't much appeal to me. I've been there only twice in 40yrs, 1st time just to see just how fast my 79 CBX would go, and the last time a year ago to see if it was still up to it, it was.

I prefer liter bikes because of the midrange torque they can provide. My latest project is coaxing an extra 15hp from my GS1150ef, if I accept factory crank measurements as accurate that should put me about 140hp. More than enough for me. There's nothing more confidence inspiring than effortless overtaking on a two lane highway with just a twist of the wrist.

Next addition to my stable may be a '74 Yamaha 250RD, small and quick(even quicker if I put 350cc jugs on it). Riding a urban small displacement bike at it's max also has a fun factor. It should be able to do the ton but that's not the goal.

I ride as often as I can making up for years when I couldn't(family stuff). When the weather is good I ride everyday 10c and up for my CBX and a bit cooler with my GS1150 since I put on hand warmers.
                        CBX My dream bike!!

Comment

I am 29, and my main purpose of the bike is recreational riding. Going to places, eating and looking at things. I have only had my bike since december, and only a few weeks without snow. I have done one trip to the store though (on the way back from a ride).

Since I live somwhere I can only ride from end of april until oktober/november, I can't use a bike as a primary mode of transportation. My work (as a driving instructor) gives me a company car, so I don't have to drive to work (I work in the car, so I drive directly to the students). But for visiting my grandparents or going to explore I love the bike.

My wife is also uncomfortable about bikes, so she won't be joing me on the bike for rides, which somewhat limits me. I am also currently trapped between a closed border to Sweden, a mountain towards the south (conceivably a 5 hour detour along the coast could avoid that, but lots of ferries) and ice/snow on the roads towards the north.

I would really like to go on a bike vacation to like the Balkans (I like Bosnia, Serbia and Macedonia). Its such tiny countries, so nice to visit, and quick to see a ton of countries.
                          GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
                            I love the rush of brutal acceleration and liter bikes provide that...if I accept factory crank measurements as accurate...
                            I can relate to so much of what you wrote. Of course, crank HP is not rear wheel horsepower, and factory "measurements" are really just claims. Optimistic would be a very kind way to describe them. The owner's manual of my 1973 Z1 Kawasaki claimed "standing start 1/4 mile - 12.0 seconds." Reality was 12.6 on a good day.

I've never ridden Honda's famous six, but I'll never forget seeing/hearing one with 6-into-6 open headers. On the street.
                            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                              I am 29, and my main purpose of the bike is recreational riding. Going to places, eating and looking at things. I have only had my bike since december, and only a few weeks without snow. I have done one trip to the store though (on the way back from a ride).

Since I live somwhere I can only ride from end of april until oktober/november, I can't use a bike as a primary mode of transportation. My work (as a driving instructor) gives me a company car, so I don't have to drive to work (I work in the car, so I drive directly to the students). But for visiting my grandparents or going to explore I love the bike.

My wife is also uncomfortable about bikes, so she won't be joing me on the bike for rides, which somewhat limits me. I am also currently trapped between a closed border to Sweden, a mountain towards the south (conceivably a 5 hour detour along the coast could avoid that, but lots of ferries) and ice/snow on the roads towards the north.

I would really like to go on a bike vacation to like the Balkans (I like Bosnia, Serbia and Macedonia). Its such tiny countries, so nice to visit, and quick to see a ton of countries.
                              My father was from Hungary, so we visit Hungary every few years. In 2004, my younger sister and I took our bicycles, flew into Vienna, then rode from Austria to Hungary (stopping in Slovakia along the way). It was an amazing trip.
                              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                                My father was from Hungary, so we visit Hungary every few years. In 2004, my younger sister and I took our bicycles, flew into Vienna, then rode from Austria to Hungary (stopping in Slovakia along the way). It was an amazing trip.
                                I would love a good ruin pub now. I spent a few days in Budapest in 2015. Was nice.
                                GS1000G 1981

Comment

Working...
                                X