Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Dealership Recommendations in NJ - Rizzon Cycle Closed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Dealership Recommendations in NJ - Rizzon Cycle Closed!

I need a recommendation on a dealership that's knowledgeable on these old bikes, with great service and great staff.

I'd been going to Rizzon Cycle in Middlesex for 20+ years, and recently found out they closed! Rick and Mark were awesome guys. They gave me all kinds of help and advice over the years, ever since I was an 18 year old idiot with no clue about wrenching, and they helped me build my first bike - a '72 CB500 that I bought for 100 bucks...

They knew these old bikes in and out. They were great for recommendations on parts and products. If there was ever anything that I either didn't have the tools, ability, or inclination to do myself, they were the only ones I trusted to work on my bike because they cared just as much as I did... I also went to them for recommendations on machine shops, painters, etc...

Does anyone have a dealer that they go to that sounds like what Rick had going? A small family run shop with great people, great service, and great prices? Not one of these "Motorcycle Mega-Malls" where they don't give a crap, or run down shops with clueless kids or sharp salesmen...
    sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

20+ years and you still don't work on it yourself?

All I can say is that your available cash must be a bit more than mine.

I can't even imagine paying dealsership rates for basic maintenance, let alone any repair work.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

www.vjmoto.com

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        20+ years and you still don't work on it yourself?

All I can say is that your available cash must be a bit more than mine.

I can't even imagine paying dealsership rates for basic maintenance, let alone any repair work.

I've done pretty much everything myself from day 1. I'm talking about things like tire changes, etc... When I would buy tires from Rick, he would mount and balance for 10 bucks a tire... On the CB500, my first bike as a young kid, it had an aftermarket exhaust when I bought it, and I changed from airbox to K&N pods. I was asking him where to start for jetting and he said bring me your jets...I did, and he drilled them out on the drill press. They were exactly where they needed to be, just needed to dial in the air screw a bit. He didn't bother charging me a dime for things like that. Sometimes parts are hard to identify on an online parts fiche (is that 13 or 15? Those both say "gasket", but which is the gasket and which is the washer?). I'd bring in the worn out part and say "I need this" and they'd ID it and order it.

...and then there are things where like I said, I don't have the tools, ability, or inclination to do. Things like cutting valve seats, or installing valve guides, etc...

When I said they helped me build my first bike, I didn't mean they did the work... I meant with advice, knowledge and parts. When I ordered a batch of parts back then as a broke and inexperienced kid, Mark would look at the order, know exactly what I was doing, and tell me the parts I didn't need (you can just clean up and reuse the old one), offer advice on what to watch out for or time saving tips and tricks...

Part of the service and prices I got there is probably because I had been going there since I was that young dumb kid, so a new place probably won't give me the $10/tire mount and balance deal, etc... but still, I'd like to find a place where they have that same mindset....
        sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

Im interested to see what turns up here.

There is a small shop near me called Cycle Passions in Freehold. Its a small one man small shop with one cycle lift. I've used him to have some tires changed, and it was much cheaper then the local dealer. There's usually at least one or 2 old bikes there. In the few times ive been there my interactions with the owner were very good, and he was happy to stop what he was doing for a quick tire change.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

OK, it sounds like you used them as a valuable resource, not your main support.

I found a similar shop near me, quite by accident. Ordered some tires from Tires Unlimited, but they were doing some major remodelling and could not mount them, so they sent me to a "partner shop" to have them mounted. This shop is closer to my house, and you have to look carefully to see that it is a motorcycle shop. When you get inside, it is FULL of bikes of all descriptions, all waiting for their turn on the lift. So far, I have only had tires mounted there, so can't say anything about the quality of their other work, but they apparently do a lot of business.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
              There is a small shop near me called Cycle Passions in Freehold. Its a small one man small shop with one cycle lift. I've used him to have some tires changed, and it was much cheaper then the local dealer. There's usually at least one or 2 old bikes there. In the few times ive been there my interactions with the owner were very good, and he was happy to stop what he was doing for a quick tire change.
              John at Cycle Passions is very knowledgeable. When I first met him, we had a nice chat about the GS he used to own. I forgot what model, but I know that he has owned one. He's VERY fair with everything. He's said on a couple of occasions already, that he won't be getting rich off of people, in that he won't just throw parts and services at people. He's very honest.

Comment

Originally posted by gordinho80 View Post
                John at Cycle Passions is very knowledgeable. When I first met him, we had a nice chat about the GS he used to own. I forgot what model, but I know that he has owned one. He's VERY fair with everything. He's said on a couple of occasions already, that he won't be getting rich off of people, in that he won't just throw parts and services at people. He's very honest.
                Awesome! So that's 2 votes for Cycle Passions. Freehold's not too close to me (I'm in Woodbridge), but not too far either. I'll give him a shot.

If he can do machine work too, I'm in...
                sigpic

Comment

• Pete (Pb9717) uses B&M Cycles in East Brunswick. I'm sure he'll chime in with his review of them.

Comment

Curious to hear of this B&M Cycles as that seems reasonably close to me - couldn't find any mention of it on the net. Anybody ever hit up JDS Cycle in Roselle Park? Recently moved up to Union County and noticed it - very mixed reviews online. Seems to have a drag focus and they have a dyno tuner but I haven't actually been in yet but the website has an "82 850L for sale. Entire shop/business is also for sale ($750K) per one of those local news websites. Shall us NJ dudes team up and throw down? Ha

Comment

B&M, They've only been around, at least at that location, for a short time. Not even a year, I don't think.

Comment

Sorry... place is actually called M&B... lol

Comment

Ah, there it is! Thanks for the recommendation. Going to get a few quotes and see how it goes

Comment

Originally posted by gordinho80 View Post
                            Sorry... place is actually called M&B... lol
                            Ok, that explains why I couldn't find it. I'll check them out too. I actually spoke to John from Cycle Passions on the phone today. Seems like a really genuine guy.
                            sigpic

Comment

John is A+. I just dropped off my wheel to have him replace my tire and replace wheel bearings. He has a red GS400? there with a cut frame and a cafe/tracker seat on it. Not sure if anyone here. If its still there when I get my tire, I'll have him mention the site to the owner.

Comment

Working...
                              X