New Hagon shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Hagon shocks

I installed new Hagon's on my 1981 GS650GL last night. They replaced the original 36 year old shocks that have been beating me up for 3 years now. My back finally had enough so I ordered a new set from Dave Quinn. Unfortunately we're currently experiencing torrential downpours and many inches of rain in Southwestern Ontario, so a test ride will have to wait until Sunday.

A big shout out to Dave Quinn Motorcycles. Excellent to deal with!

Cheers!
    K

What model and springs rate did you get, K?
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Got a pair of street Hagons for about 200. They replaced Emgo units that were shot, leaking, and bits of bushes missing.
      Prepare to smile
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

My Hagons have been doing me right for many miles now
        "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
          What model and springs rate did you get, K?
          I purchased the standard Road Shocks, black body with chrome springs, 330mm/13" with 18kg (100lb) springs. I was finally able to take a test ride yesterday and the improvement is like night and day. A very worthwhile upgrade.

Cheers!
          K

Comment

Yes I bought some Hagons from Dave Quinn. Talked to him on the phone to work out details and was satisfied. They were the nicest part on my old GS650E.

Comment

I think I have to bite the bullet and pick up new rear shocks. I am quite done with spending money on this now but .. oh well .. So the hagons everyone seems to like .. are they the ones at the top of their page for $219.00

I thought about the emgo's but I dont know how heavy makes them not miserable. I am 200lbs even
              Last edited by Guest; 12-02-2017, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
                I thought about the emgo's but I dont know how heavy makes them not miserable. I am 200lbs even
                Let's be kind and say that my son's "gravitational attraction" is considerably more than yours. He has EMGO shocks on his fully Vetter equpped 1000G.
                He says the ride isn't that bad, but gets really nice when he is carrying a passenger.

In other words, with your 'measly' 200-pound gravitational attraction, you will never experience an acceptable ride,
                as any passenger heavy enough to smooth out the ride for you likely won't be able to get on the bike.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

wanted to add a note about the hagon shocks now that I have spent a couple hundred miles on them. I bought the standard road shocks with wide spring. Like I said I am about 203lbs in skivies so add another 5-10 for clothing. The second of three settings is a bit to harsh for rough roads but on smooth roads or doing twisties it feels good but I spend almost all of my riding on the lowest setting and am not close to bottoming out the shocks so there is plenty of room upwards for weight.

I have only used the second position when riding with the wife so still have one more preload adjustment up if needed. The wife is about 120lbs

Comment

Its been a few Months Boriqua, you still liking those Hagons? Im looking to upgrade my stock 82 650Gl and am wondering if they are worth it?

Comment

My wife is still enjoying her Hagons, if that helps at all.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

After a few hundred miles solo and two up I am still thrilled with my hagon shocks. Price to performance is amazing. I probably spend half my time two up. I am about 205 lbs and the wife is about 125. Two up the second preload position is great. Solo I ride with it at the lowest setting. Damping is great. Transformed my ride for about 200 bucks

oh and here is the man to contact

Last edited by Guest; 03-07-2018, 11:43 AM.

Comment

My XS came to me with a nice set of Hagons on it. When one of them crapped out I enquired from Hagon UK what the rebuild cost would be.
                          Turns out the lower model isn't rebuildable, according to them. I refuse to believe this, and I'm utterly sure somebody out there can do it.
                          I know that other "not rebuildable" factory shocks can be successfully done, just have to dig out someone.
                          Anyway, that has slightly soured my opinion of Hagon.
                          ---- Dave
                          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

alright .. I got my shocks before I did my front end but now I have about 350 miles with my Hagon shocks and Sonic springs with fresh 15w oil up front. The front and back are so much more active now. Bike feels alive!

.. Was out today and what I noticed was that the bike feels tense .. you know .. like ready to pounce. Like riding a panther! Makes me want to grasp more throttle.

Now I know what Mowgli felt like riding Bagheera

Ok ... maybe a chubby slightly older Bagheera with a chubby much older mowgli but .... Panther I am telling you!!

All kidding aside .. suspension feels better now than the last 4 bikes I bought brand new off the show room floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                              My XS came to me with a nice set of Hagons on it. When one of them crapped out I enquired from Hagon UK what the rebuild cost would be.
                              Turns out the lower model isn't rebuildable, according to them. I refuse to believe this, and I'm utterly sure somebody out there can do it.
                              I know that other "not rebuildable" factory shocks can be successfully done, just have to dig out someone.
                              Anyway, that has slightly soured my opinion of Hagon.
                              My indignation goes up with price and time. At around $200 shipped I don't really expect rebuildable and if I can get 5 good solid years out of them I will be thrilled. After that, for me, its gravy. Since you got your sled second hand you don't know what kind of time and use has been on them.

If I am in the $400+ shock range .. then yea I would get a bit ****y if I couldnt rebuild them or they werent built to bear a buildings movement and weight during an earthquake.

I refuse to be a sick fan boy for anything so I am not all "HAGON RULES" but honestly I bought a brand new Harley 1200 Roadster and the wife and I couldn't use the bike until I bought new shocks. At $200 the Hagons give me, solo and two up, an amazing comfortable safe ride .. I can forgive a few things

Comment

Working...
                              X