New 3 phase voltage regualtor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New 3 phase voltage regualtor

I'm in the process of replacing the stock voltage rectifier on my 1982 GS750E with a new and improved unit. See the difference in fin size and wire gauge. I have pre hooked up the unit and ran the motor and everything worked. Voltage at 3,000 rpm was 13.66. Now I have to trim the wire down to fit.
    It seems to just fit into the space left by the stock unit and that's all I need.

1982 Suzuki GS750E
    1979 Suzuki GS750E
    1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C2
    1977 HD CR1000
    1977 Kawasaki KZ400
    1974 Honda CB750

The Compufire is a good unit. Be sure to run your stator wires straight into the R/R, bypassing the stock harness. Also, make sure you run the ground back to the battery and check for voltage loss along your power output wire circuit on the way to the battery. If you are losing more than .25 volt on the way to the battery you have issues there. Oh, and your system should put out 14.5 volts, or near, at 5000 rpm. Any less suggests either poor wiring or a weak stator.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hopefully you got the Compufire SERIES regulator.

They make more than one model, not all of them are the preferred series type.

(A Polaris regulator would have been a LOT cheaper.)

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Hopefully you got the Compufire SERIES regulator.

They make more than one model, not all of them are the preferred series type.

(A Polaris regulator would have been a LOT cheaper.)

Compufire only make one 3Phase and I think that is the correct one.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          Compufire only make one 3Phase and I think that is the correct one.
          OK. It has been a long time since I shopped for one, I thought there were more choices.

Doesn't matter for me now, as the Compufire has been pulled and replaced with a Polaris.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            OK. It has been a long time since I shopped for one, I thought there were more choices.

Doesn't matter for me now, as the Compufire has been pulled and replaced with a Polaris.

Been a while myself but IIRC, most all of the Compufire R/R's are single phase. The 3 Phase is the only one we would use on an GS.

Comment

Finished the installation today, got 14.36 volts at 4000 rpm, seemed good. I read somewhere in the past that the stock system ran hot, and my 82 GS certainly has run hot in the past. Whether my oil temp gauge is accurate or not, it is certainly alarming to see the temp needle up in the 310 degree range on a warm day. So that was a major reason for the upgrade.
              I took the bike on the freeway for a test ride, the weather was around 70 degrees. I rode into stop and go traffic, then when traffic cleared up I took her up to 75mph and stayed there for awhile. In the past that would have moved the temp needle to the upper portion of the gauge, but on this trip the needle stayed in the 260ish neighborhood. So far so good.
              1982 Suzuki GS750E
              1979 Suzuki GS750E
              1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C2
              1977 HD CR1000
              1977 Kawasaki KZ400
              1974 Honda CB750

Comment

Originally posted by 82Suzie View Post
                Finished the installation today, got 14.36 volts at 4000 rpm, seemed good. I read somewhere in the past that the stock system ran hot, and my 82 GS certainly has run hot in the past. Whether my oil temp gauge is accurate or not, it is certainly alarming to see the temp needle up in the 310 degree range on a warm day. So that was a major reason for the upgrade.
                I took the bike on the freeway for a test ride, the weather was around 70 degrees. I rode into stop and go traffic, then when traffic cleared up I took her up to 75mph and stayed there for awhile. In the past that would have moved the temp needle to the upper portion of the gauge, but on this trip the needle stayed in the 260ish neighborhood. So far so good.
                Not sure why your GS750 runs so hot, but many 1100's have documented drops in oil temperature from running a series R/R.

Nessim might be along to say you are mistaken and should replace the R/R to make sure you are not mistaken.

Comment

Seemed to be running cooler all week. I'm a happy camper now.
                  Last edited by 82Suzie; 05-13-2017, 02:06 PM.
                  1982 Suzuki GS750E
                  1979 Suzuki GS750E
                  1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C2
                  1977 HD CR1000
                  1977 Kawasaki KZ400
                  1974 Honda CB750

Comment

Working...
                  X