GS550 Kick start doesn't engage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 Kick start doesn't engage

My praise of the GS's lead to one of my buddies getting a 1977 GS550 this weekend. It's in awesome original shape from a collector, runs great, low miles, nice paint, generally a really cool bike. Starts right up with the electric start but the kick starter doesn't seem to be engaging. If you slowly push it by hand, sometimes it will catch and then slip off. I got it to kick over once and the engine fired right up. It doesn't feel like worn splines on the kick starter shaft.

Bad kick starter gear? Starter clutch? I have more experience with the GS450 so no kicker.
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

It's a collector's bike - no need to kickstart,or even run! If your friend is bored, dive in....

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I used to have a 1991 Honda CR 80 2 stroke dirt bike and if I remember correctly, I had to pull the clutch in to start it.

I just bought a 79 Suzuki GS550. I noticed that if I pull the clutch in and try to kick it, it disengages and there is nothing there when I kick.

It does kick VERY easily. Almost strange.

Comment

Working...
      X