Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First motorcycle. First post. I need help with my 1983 gs 550l.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First motorcycle. First post. I need help with my 1983 gs 550l.

First motorcycle and first post. I just got a 1983 suzuki gs550l off craigslist. The seller told me the only problem it really had was the carburator, he said the previous owner reached in there with a screw driver and chewed the jets up. I have taken off the seat, gas tank, and disconnected the air filter. The only thing its connected to is the engine but i cant seem to find a screw or something that would take it off so i can rebuild it. If anybody could help i would appreciate it. And if anyone has experience on this bike and has any tips or advice or helpful links, i would appreciate that too. Thanks.1494705213701-504120010.jpg

There are two hose clamps (one on each carburetor) that need to be loosened. Once that's done the carbs will separate from the boots. Sometimes it takes a little effort to get them broken loose but they will come out if the clamps are completely loosened.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Welcome. You're in the right place. The folks here could build a GS from a pile of parts. I'm not one of those folks, so I won't try to give you any mechanical advice, other than you can learn a lot from the folks here.

And I'll give the advice to get a good helmet, and ride with gear, and take your state's MSF class.
      "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

This is crude, as I haven't played in MS paint for eons, but I've outlined one of the carb clamps that need to be removed...one per carb. Look for a screw end on the clamp, just like a band clamp. Once loosened you'll just rock the carbs up/down and/or back forth to remove them out of the boots.
        CCCCCCCCCCC.jpg

Comment

Ok so i have been looking at the carb for anything missing or broken and so far i have found 3 things: one float bowl gasket is broken and i cant seem to find any online so, i wanna know if i can use another bikes float bowl gasket? one of the pilot jets are stripped to where i cant get it out and its probably broken so if anyone can help that would be cool, and i noticed one of the needle jets look chipped but i cant find anything on how to take it out since the bsw30ss carburetor is kinda weird. And i am new to this so let me know if i should check anything else in particular or if the chipping on the needle jet matters at all.14947830348331070703949.jpg
          Last edited by Guest; 05-14-2017, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Did you look at the Suzuki dealerships online for the bowl gaskets? One of the best places is Parts Outlaw in Florida:

32. GASKET 13251-05C00 $5.99
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukidookie View Post
              Ok so i have been looking at the carb for anything missing or broken and so far i have found 3 things: one float bowl gasket is broken and i cant seem to find any online so, i wanna know if i can use another bikes float bowl gasket? one of the pilot jets are stripped to where i cant get it out and its probably broken so if anyone can help that would be cool, and i noticed one of the needle jets look chipped but i cant find anything on how to take it out since the bsw30ss carburetor is kinda weird. And i am new to this so let me know if i should check anything else in particular or if the chipping on the needle jet matters at all.[ATTACH=CONFIG]50979[/ATTACH]

With most of the carbs we use on these bikes the needle jet is removed after the main jet is unscrewed from the bottom. I use a pencil to push them from the bottom, as the wood is less likely to damage the threads in needle jet. I'm guessing it's the same, but I've never messed with those carbs to swear to it. If the needle jet has flats under the main jet then it is unscrewed and removed from the bottom. You will have to post a photo of the bowl area.

After looking at the parts fiche, the needle jet does remove out the top side. http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/...ee6/carburetor
              They don't look like they are available though if the one is damaged beyond use.
              Last edited by gsrick; 05-15-2017, 09:30 AM.
              GSRick
              No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
              Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                They don't look like they are available though if the one is damaged beyond use.
                Thanks btw, i was about to just push it out hard as i could, probably breaking it had you not told me they weren't available. Just out of curiosity though, would the chipping on the top of the needle jet really affect the carb? And if it did and I had no way of finding a replacement, what else could i do? Could i use another type of needle jet as long as it fit? For now im gonna just focus on the pilot jets and the gasket, which thanks to cowboyup3371 i have found.

Comment

It looks like someone has tried to punch the seat back in place and damaged the top in doing so. They have a slot in them so they only go in one way - I'm guessing the PO tried whacking it in without lining it up....

As long as the needle orifice is undamaged then it should be OK to run. I would try and remove it and clean the emulsion tube - you drift them out from the other side and as long as you use a suitable flat punch you should do any (more) damage to it.
                  Current:
                  Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                  VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                  And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Working...
                  X