Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS450 Coil (and capacitor???)

Hola,

So I am attempting to replace my ignition coils on my 1981 GS450 (after about 10-15 minutes of riding I lose spark, won't start until it gets cool again). However, what I have noticed on the current (OEM?) coils is that they appear to have a little capacitor attached to them that sits on the back end of them (see first photo attached).
    Capture.jpg
    My issue is that, when I search for aftermarket coils for GS450s, I find coils but they don't have that little capacitor on the end.

So my questions are: Do I need to find capacitors to solder on to aftermarket coils? Or do newer coils have capacitors within the casing of the coils? Or do newer coils not need capacitors?

Any insight from people who have replaced their coils from the OEM ones to aftermarket coils would be appreciated!

Thanks

Very strange....not clear why they are there, but still shown as available. Understand that ignition coils are very durable- I'd blame lots of other stuff first for ignition issues.

Shop online for OEM Electrical parts that fit your 1981 Suzuki GS450L, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Strange I've never seen that before on the GS450 (I have 3 from 1980/81). It doesn't have points so I don't know why it would have capacitors.
      Last edited by sam000lee; 05-18-2017, 08:21 AM.
      1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
      1977 GS550
      1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

My 1982 GS450 didn't have those either. I did have the same issue (lost spark after a few minutes of riding), had to replace the ignitor....most likely the same issue.
        1982 Suzuki GS450TZ
        1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ

Comment

Does this bike have points?
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Points were gone after the 1979 model year, so I would not think so.

Even so, the "capacitors" would be closer to the points, not at the coils.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This bike is in South Africa.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Ahh, I missed that detail.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Mine doesn't have that either....it'll maybe make you happier if you goto CMNSL page, click on the link for the coil, and discover it's been "superseded" by one without that doofunny..
                  link showing the same doofunny

link showing the part they would provide, without the doofunny
                  ✓Get the COIL ASSY,IGNITION ✓Manufacturercode: 33410-44X50 ✓Genuine Suzuki part

Comment

Thanks for the info! It has points and I think it is worth mentioning that I am in South Africa. Maybe the 1981 models here had points? So, after running it for a bit and it died, per usual, after about 10 min I felt by hand that the right coil was warm to the touch and the left coil wasn't. However, I tested the coils with a multimeter at this time and the readings seemed to be ok (4.8 to 5 ohms at 200 on both coils when testing the positive and negative wires going into the coils, and about 17 to 18 ohms at 20k when testing either the positive or negative wire and the HT lead)

Comment

Sorry, didn't finish before posting.

so could this be my ignitor?

coukd it be that I am running too rich?

again, the symptoms are that after about 10 - 15 minutes of riding the bike dies when I come to a stop unless I rev it like crazy. After it dies, it won't start up again. You hear the starter motor turning over but the bike just won't start. Once I was successful in push starting it after this happened, but had to rev it hard to keep it going....

i just want to ride man...

Comment

Now I'm confused...If it has "points" it has no "ignitor"...
                        It has points and I think it is worth mentioning that I am in South Africa. Maybe the 1981 models here had points?
                        .As far as I've seen, no 81 450 had points. But maybe in S.A. because Suzuki was putting out at three variants of 2 cylinder engine in the 400-450cc range in the years 1980-1981. Maybe yours is number 4....You'd better look through the cmnsl catalogues and maybe post a picture and figure out what you have there.

But whichever, coils do burn out occasionally and usually one at a time. When the bike has "died", take the plugs out, ground them to engine and look for spark. ...

And then try swapping coils around, because no spark does not necessarily mean bad coil. IF you have ignitor-not points- you also have "pickups"...signal generators where bikes used to have points and these can be the problem. Or the wiring or the CDI ignitor itself or the plug leads....
                        Last edited by Gorminrider; 05-20-2017, 10:08 AM.

Comment

My 1981 GS450 has points. I am 100% certain.

So if it gets spark after it's hot then it's not the coils that are the issue? It's something else? What would cause it to just completely bog out after 10-15 minutes of riding?

Comment

Working...
                          X