Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS850G 1981 with runaway throttle... scary.. whats wrong with it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would think there would be too many shavings, but I have never done one, so can't say for sure.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Few years back I did a time sert in a stripped plug hole on my 250 without removing the head. Never had any issues with it since, plugs have been out many times without issue.

Use lots of grease and clean shavings off regularly. Take your time and you should be fine. When I did mine I was told one or two shavings in the pot isn't too much of an issue being soft Aluminium but not sure I believed it. Either way I didn't rush, made sure all was good at every stage, wiped everything down often then regreased and no problems since. No idea if I dropped any shavings in the pot or not.

Good luck.
      It's smoke that make electronic components work.
      Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
      '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
      '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
      '82 GS1000SZ
      '82 GS1100GL
      '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

That is a big hole. Is it me or does it look to be at a different angle then the good hole?
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Its too bad you couldnt find a larger spark plug and forgo the inserts.
          Alan

sigpic
          Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
          Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
          Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
          Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

I scrapped a head that had a poorly attempted spark plug thread repair. The threaded insert type from the auto store did not work. Not to mention it was drilled out of square so the spark plug would not seal when tightened.
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I bought a princess auto (Canada's version of harbor freight). It looks like a time sert knock off? It has a reamer that threads into a regular 14mm hole, then bored the hole, then cuts new threads! Has a solid steal insert, that's knurled at the top. And a I stall tool for the insert. I bought red locktite to seal, and help lock it in place.

Comment

Well I royally screwed up!!! Darn Heli coil tap hit the intake valve, You can zoom in and see a "rub" on the valve margin. You got to have the piston down a bit, and both valves close to being closed. I didn't realize this, and wish someone told me(( How bad is it to run like this? warp..valve due to heat transfer over time or detonation, due to the sort of sharp edge? This is minor its not on the sealing area. If it were a lawn mower I'd say don't worry about it. I don't have the time or money to rebuild the motor right now.

You cant just pull the head... jugs should come up too, then replace the jug gasket, might as well do rings.. might as well have the head resurfaced and vavlve seats cut, new vavles.... were does it freaking well end?????? I hate you bike!!

Comment

IMG_9255.jpg

Here is the finished project, it worked perfectly minus the valve damage! Red lock tite in, and pilot tool seated steel insert. Returned crappy princess auto insert, bought quality heli coil kit. Looks great! I even taped a 1/4" I'd hose to a vacuum an cleaned out all the shavings, wasn't much, grease on the tap worked well! I'd do this in a heart beAt again. Just make sure the pistons down far enough and both valves are closed!
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2017, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Finally its running good, better then it ever has! I found two intake boots leaking, to the carb, I need smaller band clamps? I stuck a zap strap between the band to make it tighter, and sealed it.

I used the motion pro tool to sync the carbs.. what a great tool! Took a bit the screws are next to impossible to tighten the lock nuts with out changing the adjustment, and what a ridicules spot for carb number 2 adjuster right under the throttle cable

Anyway, has so much torque, and idle is so smooth, no more backfire, no more popping, when backing off the throttle, and no more miss at wot, there is a slight hesitation, near 9000rpm, but nothing like before!

Thanks for all your help guys, the , major problem was cylinder #2 spark plug not sealing, that plug was soot black, the rest were tan!

Now if I could only seal the valve cover? still leaks, I give up! I tired making a gasket from gasket martial, and siliconing it, that leaked, I tired the oem gasket with silicone only around the rubber plugs, that leaked really badly! Now I tried no gasket at all, and loaded it with silicone back rtv, let it set up, then retorqued,let it cure for 20hrs, then rode it, still leaking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are no words to describe hoe frustrated I am with leaking oil on this bike! I am ready to JB weld it together!!

Comment

I've done it without pulling the head.
                      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I got one of these (android plug) dirt cheap... works awesome. Maybe attach a little vac hose to it and use it to search and suck the shavings... Good Luck!

I got mine from a app called geek, came from china in a few days and was under 10 bucks shipped...
                        -Mark
                        Boston, MA
                        Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                        sigpic
                        1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

I'm already done, but that's a really cool tool might buy it anyway

Comment

Working...
                          X