Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help Identifying My Factory Ignition

hoping to get as much info here as possible, will be saving this
    thread into my documentation.

alkswheetinjur, would you be so kind as to make a good closeup picture
    of the manufacturing mark ?

OldVet66, did Dynatek confirm the rotor is th
    e only difference between the Dyna DS3-1 and DS3-2 kits ?

With a little cleaning and closer examination (sorry my eyes are shot) It looks like I have a Nippon Denso. So I will be ordering a new DS3-2. Thanks for the response. Hopefully this helps someone in the future.
    IMAG0091_1.jpg
    1978 GS750 Cafe

thank you alkswheetinjur
    This thread will help others for sure !

Default Nippon-Denso or Kokusan

Im trying to order Dyna S for my bike and getting really confused as to which version I need. My 1982 gs550e had electronic ignition but a PO has retro fitted points wit ha plate with the condensors sticking out. It has an advance unit with a mark that is a circle with what looks like a Japanese character in it, not ND. So looking at previous posts and reading experts docs which say if its not ND in the circle, its a Kokusan advance unit (See pic).
    However, sent the pics to Dynatek and also their reseller and they are telling me I need the DS3-2 unit which posts here and the reseller say is for Nippon-Denso.

It seems like there is a conflict between what Dynatek say and some of the posts on this site. Can anyone offer explanation or am I being really stupid?
    Only thing I can think of is the ND is sometimes in Japanese!
    IMG_4006.jpg
    Added - having read a bit more it seems like there might be a 3rd type of advance unit on later bikes?
    Last edited by ajh; 09-23-2021 at 05:05 AM.

info from dynatek - Suzuki used two (2) different ignition manufacturers at one point: KD and ND. The only difference between the two advancer assemblies is the height of the rotor that fits the advancer. The same ignition plate is used in each system. The issue in identifying the two advancers is that they are not always marked with a KD or ND and the 550 engine may have used either kit, depending on the year. At this point, I would say pick one kit, the DS3-1 for the KD or the DS3-2 for the ND and get the new rotor and advancer installed and see if the rotor fits without either binding when the hold down bolt is secured or has an excessive gap between the rotor and 19MM hex head nut.
    The difference in the rotors and advancer shaft lengths is nominal and you cannot determine which is which visually and we have no documented advancer shaft lengths for reference.

furthermore there are 3 different part numbers from Suzuki, 2 for pre 79 bikes and then just one for 80 onwards.
    1980/1981 33120-47020,
    1978 kokusan 33120-4502
    1978 ND 33120-45011
    Last edited by ajh; 09-24-2021 at 03:04 PM.

Dynatek seems helpful.

Is it an option to measure the rotor length you have and ask them to measure their 2 Dynatek rotors ?

If they say "excessive gap" i would think the difference is obvious ?
    Last edited by Rijko; 09-24-2021 at 05:39 AM.

I think Ive now worked out there is a later 3rd advance unit for 1980 onwards, marked with a circle with a squiggle in it. This was the only unit fitted in 1980 onwards according ot the parts manual so it doesnt say whether its ND, KD or something else
    On the Dynatek website you can select a 1980 bike and it comes up with DS3-2 version of Dyna so im guessing this will be correct
    rotor mark.jpg
    Last edited by ajh; 09-24-2021 at 03:04 PM.